Friday, June 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, June 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Clearly Jack Lew needs to be on Celeb J!
Spoiler
But...yeah...I can see the judges not allowing that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

NGL, handwriting in FJ would be one of my biggest fears if I ever got on. My motor control is...not great.

Would it be possible to get a keyboard for typing in entries if a contestant has a diagnosed disability?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

My DVR ghosted me today, presumably because of golf. I played FJ from the archive, got it right after a detour from Sojourner Truth thanks to the TOM of working at night.

I can only get "Tulnug" or "Tulnuy" out of that scribble. I've no agenda either way, but this isn't even close IMHO. The show needs to update the tech. I enjoy the personalization of the signatures, but players ought to have a keyboard option.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Jurimetrician wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:14 pm NGL, handwriting in FJ would be one of my biggest fears if I ever got on. My motor control is...not great.

Would it be possible to get a keyboard for typing in entries if a contestant has a diagnosed disability?
They've done this for visually impaired contestants so presumably would make the same accommodation for other impairments affecting handwriting.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Go ahead. Tell me what this response, credited as correct, says:

(credit where it's due: found on the Jeopardy! subreddit)

Paging Steve Chernicoff, who would have won if this response had been negged and might even have gone on to pick up the $2 million in that UTOC. Do you wish today's standard had been applied in 2005? Basically, the only way I'd credit that response is if the FJ clue had been "Film that will defeat Brokeback Mountain to win Best Picture at next year's Academy Awards". Man, Rutter got a lot of breaks!

This is the game if anyone wants to look at it:

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=309
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:42 am Go ahead. Tell me what this response, credited as correct, says:

(credit where it's due: found on the Jeopardy! subreddit)

Paging Steve Chernicoff, who would have won if this response had been negged and might even have gone on to pick up the $2 million in that UTOC. Do you wish today's standard had been applied in 2005? Basically, the only way I'd credit that response is if the FJ clue had been "Film that will defeat Brokeback Mountain to win Best Picture at next year's Academy Awards". Man, Rutter got a lot of breaks!

This is the game if anyone wants to look at it:

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=309
Interesting comparator. It's possible that the judges watching Brad write could more easily identify the letters by his motions. I can (not beyond a reasonable doubt, but with a preponderance of evidence) make out the final "T" and "E", recognizing that there are connecting lines that would not be visible if the light pen had been raised a bit more, and I could be convinced that the middle letter is an "E" if I saw what his hand was doing. I'm glad it wasn't my decision to make, though.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

My understanding is that the judges can see (and replay) the contestants’ pen strokes as they progress - that is, they’re not just seeing the final result which is all the home viewer sees.
yclept

Post by yclept »

When I first saw her answer, I thought she won the game. Photos on Twitter and what not simply confirm what I first thought. I think she had it.

But, will we hear from anyone associated with this game? Is it possible that Sadie admitted that she didn’t get the entire answer down? Because if that happened, it is case closed.

But if Sadie thinks she got it all down and it is the judges who are saying no, it becomes more complicated. No, we cannot assume what a player is going for. However, she isn’t writing anything but Tubman there. She isn’t confusing Harriet Tubman for Harriet Tubmur, who doesn’t exist (well, maybe she does!). I can’t tell by her facial expression if she is mad at the ruling or accepting of it. I assume there was somewhat of a taping delay for the ruling.

Sadie could be a second chance contender. Heck, the producers might dangle that carrot out there for her.

Anyway, nothing against Megan. She wins and moves on for a shot at the TOC on Monday.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

trainman wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:01 am My understanding is that the judges can see (and replay) the contestants’ pen strokes as they progress - that is, they’re not just seeing the final result which is all the home viewer sees.
That's my understanding too, but I wonder what it really means. It might mean that if you're still writing at the end, you won't get the benefit of the doubt. Rutter does look confident in that picture. I remember how the light went on in his eyes at some point late in the music.

The worst-rendered response I ever saw fly was RFK Jr's G-scribble for "Gettysburg Address". My sense was that he guessed the answer correctly, but wanted plausible deniability if it turned out to be wrong.

I might recall other cases, but without photo evidence handy it's probably not productive (but nice digging, Opus).
I'm smart and I want respect.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Jurimetrician wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:14 pm NGL, handwriting in FJ would be one of my biggest fears if I ever got on. My motor control is...not great.

Is it possible the judges are now of a generation who are no longer au courant with cursive? Best to stick to block lettering, methinks.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Mathew5000 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:29 pm

They've done this for visually impaired contestants so presumably would make the same accommodation for other impairments affecting handwriting.
One precedent occurred in Kids Week 2011:
viewtopic.php?t=28 (discussed throughout and explained in the last post of this thread)
https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7423 ("Jeopardy! is amazing with disability accommodations, and allowed him a keyboard for Final Jeopardy.")
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My cursive is horrible so I always print if I am required to write something. And even that is hard to read sometimes. Don’t think I’d ask for a keyboard but if FJ required a lot of writing I’d be worried.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Someone at the taping said they don't remember a long deliberation around that answer or any protest from Sadie.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

For “tongue and groove” I said “mortise and tenon.” I wonder if I would have gotten a BMS:
Tongue-and-groove joints are really mortise-and-tenon joints — just really, really long ones — with different component names that more accurately describe their appearance and nature.
https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/cutt ... table-saw/

Given Sadie’s seeming lack of reaction, I suspect there was an edit where the judge’s ruling was explained to Sadie before Mayim revealed the response wouldn’t be accepted. I think I am okay with the ruling—I’m just not seeing enough of ‘Tubman’ there—but I can’t say I would have been surprised if they had accepted it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,800
51 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Connecticut River, tongue & groove, Tenochtitlan, Buffaloafer, The Invisible Man (DD), The Terminator, partition, seniority (for "longevity"), Tower of London, Queen Guinevere (DD)

I would have ruled in favor of Sadie's, but I see both sides. No one has yet pointed out the real travesty, which is that we were robbed of the first FJ! triple get since roughly the Carter administration. :P

Anyone else say "Who is Michael Caine?" on POP ROCKS $200? :lol:

I was very embarrassed not to be able to pull plumeria after a year on island.

After a couple of fortunate breaks in FJ! and gaining $4000 on each of her competitors on one particular clue in this game, I wonder whether Megan considers herself the luckiest (wo)man on the face of the Earth.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:29 pm I would have ruled in favor of Sadie's, but I see both sides. No one has yet pointed out the real travesty, which is that we were robbed of the first FJ! triple get since roughly the Carter administration. :P
<Cough>
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:58 pm Megan and Molly get it right, and I said, "Finally! A triple get!". Oops!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:29 pm

After a couple of fortunate breaks in FJ! and gaining $4000 on each of her competitors on one particular clue in this game, I wonder whether Megan considers herself the luckiest (wo)man on the face of the Earth.
That was a rough sequence. Babe Ruth was a plausible guess, but Yogi Berra wasn't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:43 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:29 pm I would have ruled in favor of Sadie's, but I see both sides. No one has yet pointed out the real travesty, which is that we were robbed of the first FJ! triple get since roughly the Carter administration. :P
<Cough>
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:58 pm Megan and Molly get it right, and I said, "Finally! A triple get!". Oops!
Yeah, but you left out the fun fact about President Carter.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Im fine with the Tubman ruling. im not ok with the Tenochtitlan ruling.

maybe the overreactors are right and this show is actually going downhill.

eh, no. not yet anyway.