Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya »

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Kids' Business
The corporate headquarters of this store founded in 1948 is at One Geoffrey Way in Wayne, New Jersey.
Spoiler
What is Toys R Us? Arjun said American Eagle; Ryan said Dunkin' Donuts.
Ryan Griffin: $25,000-13,000=$12,000
Injee Hong: $15,400+$14,500=$29,900
Arjun Malhotra: $8,400-$8,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

1. I've owned literally a hundred ballcaps in my life and the number of them with some mesh on the back of them is exactly zero. What they hell are they talking about?

2. An attic is not a room.

3. Instaget FJ.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

It took me a few seconds to make the Geoffrey --> giraffe connection and arrive at the correct FJ response. However, I thought this was a fairly difficult FJ clue for Kids Week.
econgator wrote:I've owned literally a hundred ballcaps in my life and the number of them with some mesh on the back of them is exactly zero. What they hell are they talking about?
I think I had one or two caps with a mesh backing when I was a kid. Here are some examples:
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Washed-Ad ... 0041FOBCI/
http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Special-C ... B000PQHWPK
Last edited by DWS on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Epic fail time. Tripped up on the first clue because I keep thinking that Saturn isn't the only planet with rings, and I always thought Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus were nearly the same size. I mentally guessed Neptune for Uranus, Mars for Venus, and Neptune again for Jupiter.

Continent should've been a 5/5, but I stupidly blurted out China instead of Asia, clammed on Antarctica because of "named for an explorer", and WHY DO I KEEP THINKING KILIMANJARO IS IN JAPAN WHEN THAT DOESN'T SOUND REMOTELY JAPANESE JKLWEHRKLJEWHRKLJ

Leggings and tunic seemed rather tough for Kids' Week IMO. Also pantry — I never knew that was actually considered a room. I always thought it just meant a cabinet in the kitchen.

Overall, I got a measly TWELVE right in J! TWELVE! What the hell happened?!

====

DJ! found me back on track. Clammed on Anchorage, said Boone for Crockett for the 9001st time, NHO How It's Made. And I once again had a total brain lock on a math clue, causing me to flail about mentally so much that I never even noticed: 15 x 2, then add all the zeroes.

Considering I gave up on Harry Potter after Goblet of Fire because I finally realized how uninteresting the series was to me, I'm surprised that I could still remember things like butterbeer. And yet I always forget that Chamber of Secrets is the 2nd book.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Mesh was weird, but swept SH champs (in my wheelhouse; how'd that expression originate anyway?).
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

ACW wrote:Mesh was weird, but swept SH champs (in my wheelhouse; how'd that expression originate anyway?).
Wikipedia says this about wheelhouse:
In sport
In baseball jargon: The sweet spot of a baseball player's strike zone where the most power and strength can be utilized
An English language idiom derived from the baseball jargon meaning area of knowledge
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Both on today's episode and today's GSN rerun of the November 2008 Teen Tourney someone got negged for coming close to Salivary but not quite(first-run saliva glands was said, on the DD on the rerun in DJ! Saliviary was said, adding an extra syllable). Ann Yih Johnson jumped a remarkably similar question to today's FJ! on the 1/12/2011 episode of WWTBAM. A stuffed Geoffrey giraffe used to appear inside one of the obstacles on the Double Dare(NIck version) obstacle course whenever a Toys R Us gift card was a prize.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Vanya wrote:In case you're a fan:

http://www.jeopardy.com/news/harrypotter.php
Well, it is Harry's birthday, after all. (Also J.K. Rowling's)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She should have been negged for not inverting the R.

Spoiler
I'M KIDDING. CHILL, PEOPLE
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Once again, an FJ that I got right away, but not one that was so easy the players laughed at it. Anyone else notice Alex stressed Geoffery when reading the answer?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:Once again, an FJ that I got right away, but not one that was so easy the players laughed at it. Anyone else notice Alex stressed Geoffery when reading the answer?
I wonder if it would be a triple stumper if college kids or adults were playing. Geoffrey giraffe/Toys R US has been referenced five or six times in the archive.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Bamaman wrote:She should have been negged for not inverting the R.
Ha ha, in adult Jeopardy this might even be arguable. Forty lashes with a wet noodle at the very least. It's the most distinctive, memorable, and fun part of the name! Who forgets that?

Still, being on Kids Week affords you some leeway.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

of course, in ebonics, it's "We 'B' Toys"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just checked the Sony Board to see if anyone complained about it and vowed never to watch again. No one's brought it up yet.

Hey, Jeff, you need to invite that guy over there who said he just taped over here to the real board.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

fowlerism wrote:
Bamaman wrote:She should have been negged for not inverting the R.
Ha ha, in adult Jeopardy this might even be arguable. Forty lashes with a wet noodle at the very least. It's the most distinctive, memorable, and fun part of the name! Who forgets that?
Because poor literacy is kewl!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Super Bowl category was handled nicely with all three players scoring in it. As a Vikings fan I could do without seeing Giants, Packers and Saints in succession since they have all had a hand in hurting my team's chances to even get to another one.

Leggings and Curtains were the two by me in the first round. I was picturing an open stage like seen on TV talent shows, so curtain had me baffled trying to solve it. I've seen, worn, and owned many mesh caps. Leggings, seen only.

5400, 5800, 6000 was a great first round and it's not often that 5400 selects first to start the DJ round.

The clue that made me laugh was Chipwrecked since I had rented it two days ago. That movie made me laugh a lot more than Bridesmaids did.

The FJ clue was unmissable for me, but I knew it could be a problem for the youngsters. I have not seen the Toys R Us ads on TV since I don't know when and the two stores nearest to my area disappeared years ago. If the guys had realized Geoffrey = giraffe then I think it would have gone better for them. Without that only Injee was correct and it was nice to see the game won with a score going up instead of who has the most money left and needs a bump to the minimum.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

29/30 in DJ. *shakes fist* Damn you Fairly Odd Parents!!!

Instant final.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)