Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:13 pm Maybe the dear lady will come on the board and meet us and explain, but otherwise all we have is speculation.
Not only was there was an audience member upthread who said what has happened, April has already posted to Reddit saying that she had intended to make the cover bet but wrote down the wrong number.

So there's no need to speculate. (And no need to be shocked and appalled at this point, either.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

When I saw the category on "Chemistry/Physics/Biology" I thought immediately of the old college joke:

If you're a college student and fall asleep during a class in the science building, and when you wake up you can't remember which class you're in, how can you tell which one it is?

Look at whatever is being discussed.

If it moves, you're in Biology.

If it smells bad, you're in Chemistry.

If it doesn't work, you're in Physics.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This thread is Exhibit A, B, and C for why contestants don't come here anymore.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Did Luigi say anything about his DD wager at the end - seemed like he might have wanted to bet another $1,000 assuming there would be another question in a category April seemed strong in (and very fast on the buzzer once her nerves wore off), but you have less time to calculate a DD wager.

Yeah, Ken's comment about viral. That one would be pretty funny out of the context of the show. That was probably the easiest category they've ever had outside of a celebrity version.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 pm This thread is Exhibit A, B, and C for why contestants don't come here anymore.
phpBB needs an upvote function.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Hey, if it could happen to Coelacanth in the TOC Finals, it could happen to anybody in their first game.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1361
Hoping for a third lap
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: In addition to the Reddit comments there is this image of a souvenir April kept: https://postimg.cc/q6xq9W5v
A confusing method of calculating what you need to wager, and it looks to me like she was going to risk the tie-breaker if she wrote down the bottom figure.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

JeopardyFan#9821 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:11 pm Watching yesterday’s and today’s episodes live was quite a treat. I got to see absolute dominance and a match with the lead decided by the very last clue (or lack thereof).

I learned that they tell the contestants the start to the right question to film a mid-commercial bumper (for instance, they told the contestants to write “What” for yesterday’s episode and “Who” for today’s). During the middle of that bumper and writing down What, April realized she goofed on her wager. She tried to ask production to change it, but she hit the big “lock-in” button, so she was told no. Sarah had to come out and console her, and April’s makeup needed to be redone before Final.

I felt bad for her. She seemed like a fun, bubbly personality that just made a small mistake. According to her reddit post, she did the math right on her paper to one-up Luigi doubling up, but just forgot the 4. I’m proud that she was able to make it to the end of the Overheard chat before promptly exiting stage left. The audience rightfully gave her a round of applause. I hope she gets into the next SCT.
Thanks for sharing.

That was one of the most difficult endings to watch that I can recall - you could really see her anguish loud and clear. I hope she doesn't beat herself up about it too much.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:17 pm
Picked Off wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:53 pm Very entertaining game. Relatively easy final given all of the ways it could have gone, especially this of all weeks.

The wager from first: a puzzlement. Especially after the crucial DD.
Just so you know, it looks really silly when you say something like this when the explanation for the wager—that it was a mistake—was explained earlier in the thread.
Didn’t see it but will check back!
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TIL not everyone starts reading threads from the beginning...

I bet the Mustang logo wasn't visible on stage, and not that it should've been necessary, but always amusing.

Really, OED? We're not making up enough single words to keep you busy, you have to double as Bartlett's now?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed 20th Century Song $800 & $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I'm not sure which is more painful - calculating the correct wager but writing it incorrectly, or just making the timid/wrong wager from the outset (which people do!).
I found her calculations confusing, but, hey, they weren't meant for me.

Couldn't think of anyone but Prince Albert for FJ
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 pm TIL not everyone starts reading threads from the beginning...
Sometimes people don't even read the posts they are quoting. Did anybody realize that some people don't read the previous posts before posting?

I'm a little surprised at the extent today, but to be fair there is a low expectation that bad wagers actually have an explanation, and that it is available and posted here. Thanks to JeopardyFan#8921 for the timely intel.
It is a tough break for April, but made worse by the fact she had to play out the slow motion train wreck occur and didn't know her fate until Luigi's reveal.

What a timely clue :). I doubled or tripled my knowledge of the Royal family this weekend looking at a page sized graphic in the newspaper. With difficulty, I could tell you that Prince Albert was QE2's father. But I couldn't unpack what a Prince Consort was. To be honest, I thought the Queen Mum had been Queen before 1953, so doubling my knowledge just meant getting back to zero.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
goongas

Post by goongas »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:25 am
Volante wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 pm TIL not everyone starts reading threads from the beginning...
Sometimes people don't even read the posts they are quoting. Did anybody realize that some people don't read the previous posts before posting?

I'm a little surprised at the extent today, but to be fair there is a low expectation that bad wagers actually have an explanation, and that it is available and posted here. Thanks to JeopardyFan#8921 for the timely intel.
It is a tough break for April, but made worse by the fact she had to play out the slow motion train wreck occur and didn't know her fate until Luigi's reveal.

What a timely clue :). I doubled or tripled my knowledge of the Royal family this weekend looking at a page sized graphic in the newspaper. With difficulty, I could tell you that Prince Albert was QE2's father. But I couldn't unpack what a Prince Consort was. To be honest, I thought the Queen Mum had been Queen before 1953, so doubling my knowledge just meant getting back to zero.
Elizabeth II's father was not the Prince Albert they were referring to in the clue. They wanted you to get to the last Queen before Elizabeth II, which was Queen Victoria. I knew they wanted Queen Victoria's husband, but I didn't know his name...And I have been reading a lot about the royal family in the last week...
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $34,000

43 R (3 DDs), 6 W

FJ: :( Knew the instant the category came up I was doomed. Said Edward VII.

LT: Bang on the Drum
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Source for the "New to the OED" category was apparently this blog entry: https://public.oed.com/blog/the-oed-march-2022-update/

Other new phrases that the Jeopardy! writers might have included: "trigger warning", "reverse cowgirl", and "that's what she said".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

theFJguy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:30 pm
Correct response:
Spoiler
Prince Albert (Justin – George V)
Well, let him out for God's sake!
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Having seen how April made her mistake, I have this advice to offer for FJ calculations: if you're in the lead, don't bother calculating your maximum score. Calculate second place's maximum score, subtract your current score from that, then add money to the difference, and that's your bet. (This is presuming you don't have a runaway, of course.)

Note: I do recommend calculating everyone's maximum score in tournament finals and the end of other multi-day matches, because multi-day matches can produce situations in which the player with the most cumulative money entering the last FJ is not the player who can achieve the highest total. This isn't an issue when all the money everyone's accumulated is on the scoreboard.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

April's story makes sense. It was clear she had arrived at her figure somehow, rather that just picking a nice round whatever number.

This kind of situation seems ripe for a seat in a Second Chance Tournament, should they ever do another.

For FJ!, I arrived at the correct response only after getting over my confusion because I thought Prince Philip was a Prince Consort.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

“A confusing method of calculating what you need to wager, and it looks to me like she was going to risk the tie-breaker if she wrote down the bottom figure.”

She did add the 1. She just Mis-copied the number.

I think we are up to at least 3 and maybe 4 willfully blind posts itt.

Please read the thread.