Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

eaglebtc
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by eaglebtc »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:52 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 pm This thread is Exhibit A, B, and C for why contestants don't come here anymore.
phpBB needs an upvote function.
Or perhaps this phpBB board needs to enable the permission "can report posts" for all user roles.

It's a standard feature on phpBB and is something I see on many Internet forums that use phpBB. For some reason I don't see it here. Maybe the admins have turned it off, or maybe you need a certain number of comments before you can use it (I just registered an account yesterday after hearing the registration system was fixed).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

eaglebtc wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:11 pm maybe you need a certain number of comments before you can use ["can report posts"]
Pretty sure this is it. Nice to see you over here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mathew5000 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:21 am Source for the "New to the OED" category was apparently this blog entry: https://public.oed.com/blog/the-oed-march-2022-update/

Other new phrases that the Jeopardy! writers might have included: "trigger warning", "reverse cowgirl", and "that's what she said".
It seems to me there's no reason to have a separate definition for "trigger warning" as a phrase since only the word "trigger" is getting an additional definition and it can be used with or without "warning" attached. Add a definition to "trigger", both as noun and verb, and offer citations with "warning" and without.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

I was wondering about the "vaccination passport" reversal. The blog post makes it clear that the term added to the OED was "vaccine passport," which made the answer incorrect. There's significant history, most notoriously with song titles, for these rulings.

But for vocabulary, in general, different forms of the same word are usually accepted, except when they contradict the category name, like "11-letter words." This would be a similar example, except there's no way to self-verify while giving your answer. Mine, which is the standard cardboard CDC form, is called a "Vaccination Record Card," not a passport. That's what I had with me and was checked at the border along with my regular passport during a recent vacation.

In a close game, while I understand the reversal, I thought it was a bad question and perhaps that could have been take into account before making the ruling.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Heartbreaking loss and until I saw the explanation here, I just couldn’t figure out the reason behind the wager. Figured it must have been a miscalculation of a clever wager…what it actually was is just crushing to think about.

If the SCT is a success this season, she would certainly seem to be a strong contender to be the first entrant into next season’s field.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Several posts in this thread mention April as a contender for the SCT. Justin is also a contender for the SCT. He had more attempted buzzes and a higher correct % than April did. Good game all around. I'm curious how long it will be before there is another game where all three contestants have 35+ buzz attempts.

The "ALPHABETICALLY NEXT" category was really tough for me. I can't get them that fast. The "NEW TO THE OED" category is a standard category but it's always tough for me. It's surprising how many new entries they have and that it's not actually that easy to study for.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:25 am It is a tough break for April, but made worse by the fact she had to play out the slow motion train wreck occur and didn't know her fate until Luigi's reveal.
She knew exactly what her fate was going to be well before she saw the reveal. Which is even worse worse.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 pm
Really, OED? We're not making up enough single words to keep you busy, you have to double as Bartlett's now?
That "on the shoulders of giants" clue really threw me. It's a saying that's been around a long time, maybe the 12th C., why is now the time to define it? Similarly, I assumed the document clue must be a single word I hadn't heard like vaxport or something...Maybe if I'd seen the $200 clue first I would have been more prepared for phrases...
FJ is not a favorite category for me - I have not been reading about the royals this week...But this clue was a cinch...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:02 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 pm
Really, OED? We're not making up enough single words to keep you busy, you have to double as Bartlett's now?
That "on the shoulders of giants" clue really threw me. It's a saying that's been around a long time, maybe the 12th C., why is now the time to define it? Similarly, I assumed the document clue must be a single word I hadn't heard like vaxport or something...Maybe if I'd seen the $200 clue first I would have been more prepared for phrases...
Yeah, after the "shoulders of giants" clue I said, "I heard next year they're adding 'telegraph'".

I love the term "vaxport" and intend to start using it. Urban Dictionary has it dating back to March 2021, but I don't recall seeing it before and will always credit you.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

goongas wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:40 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:25 am With difficulty, I could tell you that Prince Albert was QE2's father. But I couldn't unpack what a Prince Consort was.
Elizabeth II's father was not the Prince Albert they were referring to in the clue. They wanted you to get to the last Queen before Elizabeth II, which was Queen Victoria. I knew they wanted Queen Victoria's husband, but I didn't know his name...And I have been reading a lot about the royal family in the last week...
Thanks for the clarification. I have looked it up and am dumber than before. So Vicky married her cousin Albert in 1840 but didn't give him the title of Prince Consort until 1857? SMH. And QE2's Dad is Prince Albert and changed his name to George VI.
Put all of them in the damn can, and some Kardashians with them. :twisted:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:25 am It is a tough break for April, but made worse by the fact she had to play out the slow motion train wreck occur and didn't know her fate until Luigi's reveal.
She knew exactly what her fate was going to be well before she saw the reveal. Which is even worse worse.
But she didn't know know that he had it right right and made a big big enough bet did she? If I understand, she still had a chance to hope for a really hard question, and then hope for a miss or a small cover bet from Luigi. After seeing what I guess wasn't a hard question, then the torment just amped up.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't see how she knew she was doomed until FJ played out. Sure, her bet allowed both to pass her on a triple get but she didn't know what was going to happen. Justin got it wrong so there is no reason Luigi couldn't have missed it. I didn't think it was super-easy even though I got it right away.

As an aside, if you get the call the British royal family is something you should study if you aren't familiar with them. Knowing them in order and a general idea of the years each ruled is as essential as it knowing the presidents in order. The Horrible Histories video is a great resource even if it is now out of date.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

From the ALPHABETICALLY NEXT category:

"As president:
Carter,
Cleveland..."

I said "Cleveland".

Judges?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 pm From the ALPHABETICALLY NEXT category:

"As president:
Carter,
Cleveland..."

I said "Cleveland".

Judges?
Cleveland is not "alphabetically next" after Cleveland.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:55 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 pm From the ALPHABETICALLY NEXT category:

"As president:
Carter,
Cleveland..."

I said "Cleveland".

Judges?
Yeah, but Cleveland II is.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

eaglebtc wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:11 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:52 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 pm This thread is Exhibit A, B, and C for why contestants don't come here anymore.
phpBB needs an upvote function.
Or perhaps this phpBB board needs to enable the permission "can report posts" for all user roles.
I'm curious which posts in this thread you believe are worthy of being reported?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:55 pm

"As president:
Carter,
Cleveland..."

I said "Cleveland".

Judges?
It is when you sort this table alphabetically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... Presidents

I think Cleveland would be an acceptable answer. Joe Biden is called the 46th president. If you listed those 46 presidents and sorted them alphabetically you'd have Cleveland coming up next.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

It's too bad Taft wasn't the one the pull the win/lose/win achievement, then we could talk about his portrait taking up two spaces.

But no, I don't think the argument works. Cleveland gets two ordinal numbers because that tends to be the convention with ordinal lists. But in an alphabetical list, he's still just one president.

If we had a list of American League home run champions and the answer was "Roth, Ruth..." would the correct response be "Ruth" rather than "Scott", because Babe Ruth was a 12-time home run leader, not all of them in a row (or even part of Murderer's Row)?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:34 pm But no, I don't think the argument works. Cleveland gets two ordinal numbers because that tends to be the convention with ordinal lists. But in an alphabetical list, he's still just one president.
Which I think is one of the stupidest conventions ever. By that logic, George Washington should be considered the 1st & 2nd President, Jefferson the 4th & 5th, etc. :roll:
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

"As president:
Carter,
Cleveland..."

I said "Cleveland".

Judges?
If I were judging, I'd credit you as correct.

Issue #1: is it a list of presidents or of presidencies? It's perfectly reasonable to interpret this as the latter. By convention, Cleveland had two presidencies, even if he is one president.

Issue #2: in case of a tie within an ordered list, is one of the tied items "next" after the other?

For example, suppose on a math test, students get the following scores:
Anne 87
Byron 92
Carla 87
Donald 73
Evita 93.

If the list of the students in order of their score on the test begins "Evita, Byron, Anne, ..." then is it correct to say that the next name on the list should be Carla? I'd say yes.