Monday, September 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, September 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC DOCUMENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The governor of Massachusetts wrote, it "is a poor document, but a mighty act… wrong in its delay till January, but grand & sublime after all"

Emmett Stanton: 8000+8000=16000 (2x = $41,800)
Suzanne Goss: 8600-6000=2600
Jason Freeman: 8400-8398=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Emancipation Proclamation (Suzanne – Stamp Act) (Jason – Plymouth Compact)

Daily Doubles
Emmett: 4200+2000
Emmett: 10000-2000

Coryats
Emmett: 10800
Suzanne: 8600
Jason: 8400

Combined: 27,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emmett: 7200
Suzanne: minus 600
Jason: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Worms guy was an early stumper, so no surprise the Combined Coryat was under 30K. The Jeopardy! Fan shows double digit Ws and TS clue to fit what I suspected was coming for a Monday game.

What I did not see coming was DD3 at DJ30 when Emmett led 10000 to 8600 to 8400. $2,000? Well, it is a pretty number while it was ugly when Emmett sunk himself from the penthouse to the outhouse. The J! gods were smiling on Emmett when he used the sole solve to defend his title.

Ken had to do another score chance when China's "Forbidden" had more than one option. Ken later got to take away when Yukon was not enough as he initially thought and the BMS did not go well.

The FJ! clue had me thinking like Jason when I missed with the Mayflower Compact. The clue had enough in its wording to keep me from making the mistake yet I still let Massachusetts steer me wrong.

Audio clues in THE CALL OF THE WILD are easier to archive than video ones, so I'll take it.
TimMierz
Contributor

Post by TimMierz »

I wouldn't have gotten Final right; I don't think I could spell "Emancipatimn PriNkmih\\" correctly.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

TimMierz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 pm I wouldn't have gotten Final right
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:32 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC DOCUMENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The governor of Massachusetts wrote, it "is a poor document, but a mighty act… wrong in its delay till January, but grand & sublime after all"

Emmett Stanton: 8000+8000=16000 (2x = $41,800)
Suzanne Goss: 8600-6000=2600
Jason Freeman: 8400-8398=2

Daily Doubles
Emmett: 4200+2000
In my mind, the way the clue was written it had to be one of three major documents. Declaration, Constitution, or Emancipation. Anything thing else just isn't important enough. Of course I could be forgetting something.

Wagering, I'm hoping all three contestants actually post somewhere about what their logic was in coming up with these numbers. Trying to ascertain the rationale of wagering ~3/4th of your total but yet not locking out either player. A zero wager I can totally understand.

DD's, if it's not already taken I should probably register the domain justwager2000.com .net and .tv. Is there any strategic difference between 10k and 12k going into FJ? Just frustratingly suboptimal wagers. It's got to be incredibly rare to be ahead by 3k with 2 clues left and end up in 3rd going into FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's a first to third on DJ30 when Jason at least went for the lock-tie: https://j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=2082
ACW

Post by ACW »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm In my mind, the way the clue was written it had to be one of three major documents. Declaration, Constitution, or Emancipation. Anything thing else just isn't important enough. Of course I could be forgetting something.
Articles of Confederation?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

25/0, 22/2
trash: Martin Luther, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, rock, nuclear, Denver 8-)
more trash: Rhea, Hyde Park, Klondike, defoliate, katydid 10k + DD.
:D :( (Winchester Cathedral) :D :( (Mayflower Compact, had it on precall)
4th podium lock. :geek:
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm In my mind, the way the clue was written it had to be one of three major documents. Declaration, Constitution, or Emancipation. Anything thing else just isn't important enough. Of course I could be forgetting something.
I disagree. Given the Massachusetts wording, the Mayflower Compact would be a reasonable guess; it is certainly a seminal document that appears in multiple American Literature textbooks. However, the January TOM points to the Emancipation Proclamation, as does the "grand & sublime" wording of the quote. Still, I would not have been surprised had the clue stumped all three contestants.

It's a good thing wagering strategy has little to do with a person's ability to win the game. Oh, wait... :shock:
davey

Post by davey »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pm
I disagree. Given the Massachusetts wording, the Mayflower Compact would be a reasonable guess; it is certainly a seminal document that appears in multiple American Literature textbooks. However, the January TOM points to the Emancipation Proclamation, as does the "grand & sublime" wording of the quote. Still, I would not have been surprised had the clue stumped all three contestants.
Having said Mayflower Compact myself, I certainly agree with all this. However there's another flaw in the thinking involved: There was no governor of Massachusetts at the time. That's one reason they needed a compact...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pmGiven the Massachusetts wording, the Mayflower Compact would be a reasonable guess;
That was my guess. But who was governor of Massachusetts in 1620? Seems problematic.

EDIT: I thought I'd refreshed before making this reply. But when I clicked submit, there was Davey's post 37 minutes ahead of mine.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Massachusetts was a red herring for me as well. But nothing really pointed to any particular document until I noticed the bit about January and it clicked in.

Nothing else to add about the DD wager or the FJ betting. Days like this make me miss Keith's videos.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:18 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pmGiven the Massachusetts wording, the Mayflower Compact would be a reasonable guess;
That was my guess. But who was governor of Massachusetts in 1620? Seems problematic.

EDIT: I thought I'd refreshed before making this reply. But when I clicked submit, there was Davey's post 37 minutes ahead of mine.
Yeah, if I read right, 1629 saw the first Mass governor.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TimMierz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 pm I wouldn't have gotten Final right; I don't think I could spell "Emancipatimn PriNkmih\\" correctly.

There is a teenager/young adult who is justly raising a middle finger to the writers and judges tonight. I agreed with the kid’s being ruled wrong back then, but come on. And writers, why do you even go there?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:33 pm
TimMierz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 pm I wouldn't have gotten Final right; I don't think I could spell "Emancipatimn PriNkmih\\" correctly.

There is a teenager/young adult who is justly raising a middle finger to the writers and judges tonight. I agreed with the kid’s being ruled wrong back then, but come on. And writers, why do you even go there?
Remember, the judges have video of the players moving their light pens so they are perfectly capable of noting whether a contestant is attempting to form the correct letters.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:41 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pm
Having said Mayflower Compact myself, I certainly agree with all this. However there's another flaw in the thinking involved: There was no governor of Massachusetts at the time. That's one reason they needed a compact...
I'm not trying to defend Plymouth Compact as a response; I said the Emancipation Proclamation. I'm merely saying that the Mayflower Compact is not an unreasonable guess under pressure, particularly because the portion of the quote provided in the clue is somewhat vague as to how long after the fact the governor was pronouncing judgment on the document.

We should note that there was a governor of Plymouth Colony in 1621 — William Bradford — who was a signatory to the compact and so presumably thought highly of it. Massachusetts would have its first governor just 8 years later.