Monday, September 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, September 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $30,200

42 R (1 DD), 3 W (Missed United Nations & said Globe Theatre instead of St. Pauls)

FJ: :mrgreen:

LT: Martin Luther, The House on Mango Street, rock, nuclear, Klondike, whooping crane (DD)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Didn't get Emancipation Proclamation. I focused on Massachusetts and took a moment to eliminate the Mayflower Compact. Still focusing on Massachusetts I picked the Declaration of Independence since I figured that could have been written in Boston (it wasn't!). I also didn't remember the Declaration of Independence having a delay until January and thought that would be a bit odd. The way the clue was written I thought the document would explicitly mention that it took effect at a later date but that's not the case here - the formal issuance of the document was delayed.

The Broadway category was pretty hard. Fiddler on the Roof is the only one of those plays I've heard of.

Spoiler for J6:
Spoiler
Katydid was the $1600 response in the THE CALL OF THE WILD category and it was also the response for J6 albeit with a different clue. Weird.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Still haven't gotten my directors straight and negged with Michael Bay.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

I joined Suzanne with her incorrect response. Got tripped up with the Massachusetts angle, instead of using the date as a guide toward the right answer.

Can anyone explain any of the final four wagers (DD DJ!30, the three FJ wagers)? If so, please share, as I am at a loss.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

merica wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:35 am I joined Suzanne with her incorrect response. Got tripped up with the Massachusetts angle, instead of using the date as a guide toward the right answer.

Can anyone explain any of the final four wagers (DD DJ!30, the three FJ wagers)? If so, please share, as I am at a loss.
What are three non-sensical wagers?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:33 pm
TimMierz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 pm I wouldn't have gotten Final right; I don't think I could spell "Emancipatimn PriNkmih\\" correctly.

There is a teenager/young adult who is justly raising a middle finger to the writers and judges tonight. I agreed with the kid’s being ruled wrong back then, but come on. And writers, why do you even go there?
At this point you've got to wonder why they don't allow the players to type out their answers using a keyboard. Wouldn't that be the simple solution?

For this FJ when I first saw Massachusetts my brain immediately went to Mayflower Compact, but by the end of the clue I realized it was clearly pointing to the EP.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

merica wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:35 am Can anyone explain any of the final four wagers (DD DJ!30, the three FJ wagers)? If so, please share, as I am at a loss.
What date? I would have gotten this FJ if there had been a date.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

danspartan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 am
merica wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:35 am I joined Suzanne with her incorrect response. Got tripped up with the Massachusetts angle, instead of using the date as a guide toward the right answer.

What are three non-sensical wagers?
Thanks Carnac.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:54 am
merica wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:35 am Can anyone explain any of the final four wagers (DD DJ!30, the three FJ wagers)? If so, please share, as I am at a loss.
What date? I would have gotten this FJ if there had been a date.
I meant the "January" part of the clue. I suppose "date" is incorrect here. Certainly the year would have led many to the correct response.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I'm reminded that I was offended by the TL;DW clue- :x
I saw all of Sergio Leone's epic called this fairy tale phrase "in the West", but during "in America", I had a little snooze
OUATIA is one of my favorite '80s movies...and it HAS to be the the 3hr49m cut, NOT the 2hr19 minute version which wrenches the story into chronological order... :roll:
Hell, I'd even watch Leone's first 4 and a half hour cut, if it was available...
Golf

Post by Golf »

Emmett stated on another board that he thought he had to risk at least the value of the clue on DD’s and that he wasn’t aware of his mistake until reading the thread.

He took full responsibility for not knowing, but that lack of knowledge about the rules of the game he is playing boggles my mind.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Golf wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:12 pm Emmett stated on another board that he thought he had to risk at least the value of the clue on DD’s and that he wasn’t aware of his mistake until reading the thread.

He took full responsibility for not knowing, but that lack of knowledge about the rules of the game he is playing boggles my mind.
It doesn’t help that the show doesn’t provide you with a copy of the rules before taping, unless this has changed.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

goongas wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:28 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:12 pm Emmett stated on another board that he thought he had to risk at least the value of the clue on DD’s and that he wasn’t aware of his mistake until reading the thread.

It doesn’t help that the show doesn’t provide you with a copy of the rules before taping, unless this has changed.
Are you yanking someone's chain? Didn't we have some poster a while back claiming that they definitely provided you with a copy of the rules and he wouldn't back down even when actual former contestants told him this wasn't so?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:29 pm
goongas wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Are you yanking someone's chain? Didn't we have some poster a while back claiming that they definitely provided you with a copy of the rules and he wouldn't back down even when actual former contestants told him this wasn't so?
That's clearly the fault of every player for not asking.