Tuesday, October 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got that FJ but must agree with others here who didn't like it much. Not a fan of the ones where you need to mentally run through a list and hope you think of the correct one in time.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:22 am Afghanistan's fgh is also three consecutive letters on a row of a standard US keyboard. There are two African countries whose names also contain keyboard sequences of three letters, one's going from left to right and the other's from right to left.
Spoiler
EthIOPia and EriTREa
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:57 am I got that FJ but must agree with others here who didn't like it much. Not a fan of the ones where you need to mentally run through a list and hope you think of the correct one in time.
In this case part of it boils down to how you compartmentalize your list. I learned the 5 (at the time) Asian landlocked countries from Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions. Afghanistan, Bhutan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal. Then added the former Soviet Republics later so I basically break it into two lists. Same with Europe.

With this type of clue in a fixed time frame I don't really expect TPTB to be looking for a former Soviet Republic. So just consult the original list of 5 and it's pretty simple. If the continent in question was Africa then the list becomes two unwieldy in 30+ seconds.

Some people study lists, some do not. Those who study lists do so differently. All this comes into play with a clue like this, and clues like this come up all the time on Jeopardy.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

Some episodes I can spend a couple of hours tracking things down that were new to me. One thing this time that had me wondering was why the US Supreme Court was defining a ferry.
The decision referenced in the clue was 1904's ST CLAIR COUNTY v. INTERSTATE SAND & CAR TRANSFER CO.

Interestingly, a continuation of a road wasn't the only definition of a ferry, just one.
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme- ... 2/454.html
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm With this type of clue in a fixed time frame I don't really expect TPTB to be looking for a former Soviet Republic.
You happened to be right this time, but I'm not sure I buy in to this reasoning. I think the former Soviet Republics were very much in play.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The 50 States for $2,000:
Step back in time on this Michigan island where cars are banned & horses, buggies & bikes are the means of transportation
Cris was right with Mackinac Island (although he mispronounced it). I was wondering if Isle Royale would also be an acceptable response, but upon further research learned that the only allowed wheeled vehicles on Isle Royale are wheelchairs. Bikes are technically allowed on the island, but can't be ridden around the island (this is to accommodate those who are on long bike tours who want to visit Isle Royale). Horses aren't allowed either.