Tuesday, November 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:17 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:11 pm Augh. I've had it up to here with categories like "Vocabulary Words". If they're going to have a category like that (and I hate that type of wordplay to begin with), at least leave the word up on the screen so viewers can see it. Drives me crazy.
Amen
Bravo
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:56 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:11 pm Augh. I've had it up to here with categories like "Vocabulary Words". If they're going to have a category like that (and I hate that type of wordplay to begin with), at least leave the word up on the screen so viewers can see it. Drives me crazy.
Amen
Bravo
What is the only "vocabulary" word in the NATO radio alphabet?

Regarding the FJ, I read long ago about the concept of a roles-reversed "Abie's Irish Rose" only tragic and musical, with the ethnicities later changed to give the story more currency. Still, I can't imagine "long-running" helping anyone to solve it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
goongas

Post by goongas »

My favorite FJ category, I got lost in "long running" and couldn't think of WSS.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

:)
Amen
Bravo
Bravo indeed
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:57 pm 60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Man, that's just awesome.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Lefty wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 pm Regarding the FJ, I read long ago about the concept of a roles-reversed "Abie's Irish Rose" only tragic and musical, with the ethnicities later changed to give the story more currency. Still, I can't imagine "long-running" helping anyone to solve it.
Same title crossed my mind, but changed to the right one after thinking I'd never heard of it being a musical.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I don't know if I can continue to watch a show that endorses the extremist political belief of pineapple being an acceptable, let alone "delicious," topping for pizza, Ken.

Burn down the set.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Amen
Bravo
Do they then also have to put the letter on the screen for a category like Under the "C"? The C being in quotation Mark's means that every correct response begins with the letter C. (Last sentence should be read in the voice of Alex Trebek.)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

nserven wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:17 am I don't know if I can continue to watch a show that endorses the extremist political belief of pineapple being an acceptable, let alone "delicious," topping for pizza, Ken.

Burn down the set.
You don't want to know about the Roderick
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nserven wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:17 am I don't know if I can continue to watch a show that endorses the extremist political belief of pineapple being an acceptable, let alone "delicious," topping for pizza, Ken.

Burn down the set.
Why? He's absolutely correct.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Burn down the set.
Anyone other than me disappointed that the name of the angel atop the LDS Temple *wasn't* a Triple Stumper, depriving Ken of a chance to gloat over all these ignorant gentiles?
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $33,200

42 R (2 DDs), 2 W (Said Nuremberg just to have something. Was never getting the Hague.)

FJ: :( Phantom of the Opera

LT: 1967

Categories Swept: HEALTH & MEDICINE
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My picture of the Moroni in question.

20220528_094604.jpg
20220528_094604.jpg (309.49 KiB) Viewed 938 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BobF wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:08 pm
Amen
Bravo
Do they then also have to put the letter on the screen for a category like Under the "C"? The C being in quotation Mark's means that every correct response begins with the letter C. (Last sentence should be read in the voice of Alex Trebek.)
Completely different in my book. It's easy to remember that it starts with a specific letter. It's a lot harder to mentally re-sort letters in a word you can't see.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:18 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:17 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:30 pm "Long-running" is not a term I would associate with the correct response, in any incarnation.
May I put you in touch with a seminarian (or maybe a stage manager) :P who'll confirm that West Side Story, with more than 1,200 Broadway performances across its various revivals in the last 60 years, may in fact be considered long-running when we note that there are fewer than 100 plays or musicals that have had more Broadway performances? Subjective wording? Yeah. But at least it's not outright wrong, or provably false. We need to relax our standards to meet the show where it is at present.
I am only an armchair seminarian when it comes to musicals but I know enough to know that "been around a long time" is not the meaning of "long-running". "Had some revivals over the decades" is not "long-running". "Had a lot of performances in various runs" is not "long-running". (Are we going to count touring companies? Community theater?) By these definitions, Chess is long-running. By these definitions, Rocky Horror is long-running. By these definitions, Anyone Can Whistle is long-running. Everyone I know in theatre has been in these shows. It doesn't make them "long-running". (These examples are cherry-picked: cult favorites that were notoriously short-running.) tomwolf2008 says West End ran for over 1,000 performances, but, depending on how many shows they did a week, that's still probably under two years. (In fact, it was about a year and a half--a shorter run than some of the Broadway runs.) To my mind, a show's got to hit a decade mark to be called "long-running".
An expert I know points out that 732 performances was a long run in the 1950s. Only in succeeding decades has the 1000-plus run become routine. On Wikipedia's list of over 100 long-running shows, only 11 musicals appear (by my count) that premiered before 1960. I could also mention that IBDB, the Broadway database, lists a "return engagement" for WSS, opening in 1960 with the original stars, that brings the performance total to 971.
Of course, as I'm fond of saying, J! clues don't generally reward expertise... ;)
BTW, Anyone Can Whistle has never been called "long-running" under any definition. Not even "long-lasting." Now, Merrily We Roll Along, maybe... ;)
davey

Post by davey »

Another interesting thing I just came across, from the Broadway producer Ken Davenport:
The average run of [a musical] adaptation in the last 30 years is 644 performances.
https://kendavenport.com/some-startling ... nal-shows/
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:51 pm
BobF wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:08 pm
Amen
Bravo
Completely different in my book. It's easy to remember that it starts with a specific letter. It's a lot harder to mentally re-sort letters in a word you can't see.
And then there's the "find the word hidden within the clue" clues which are just the worst of all worlds...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:43 pm BTW, Anyone Can Whistle has never been called "long-running" under any definition. Not even "long-lasting."
Anyone Can Whistle, Sondheim's notorious flop that lasted all of nine performances on Broadway 58 years ago (but which gave Broadway Angela Lansbury), has had many thousands of performances in local theaters up to present day, the rights being affordable and the score achieving cult status with musical theater nerds. And that was my point--if we're going to call a show "long-running" based on how long it's been around (and still routinely performed by someone, somewhere), there's a place for it as a "long-running" show by the crazy contortions of the definition being proposed here.

And as for the latest of these, even if one could say the correct response show was "long-running" by the standards of its time (I don't know enough to admit that that is true), such an explanation makes no sense in the context of a clue presented in 2022. You might as well be calling George Washington a "long-lived" president. (He's not in the top 25.)
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:22 pm
And that was my point--if we're going to call a show "long-running" based on how long it's been around (and still routinely performed by someone, somewhere), there's a place for it as a "long-running" show by the crazy contortions of the definition being proposed here.
Of course, no one at J! has proposed this definition.
I'm proposing that we not conflate "long-running" with "longest-running." Cause there's a lot of shows like Anyone Can Whistle and Merrily We Roll Along.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:23 pm And then there's the "find the word hidden within the clue" clues which are just the worst of all worlds...
Is this where I get to do my "putting the cute in charcuterie" joke? (Or the "ogre in progress")