Idea for future TOCs...

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Idea for future TOCs...

Post by Bamaman »

The finals just didn't do it for me with the same three people for six games in a row. I was fine with the old format.

Not a fan of the SCT. I don't know what metrics they used to decide the entries but I hope quirkiness and Twitter fandom weren't factors.
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I liked how this year's ToC played out, especially with Amy winning the whole thing; and the final match was similar to 2019 — rematch of two regular-season champions and the winner of another tournament. But personally, I would like TPTB to reinstate the old format, at least to some extent. I'd have 15 players instead of 21, and especially no byes. After listening to one of the Inside Jeopardy! podcasts where they discussed the new format, I did see how the byes put Matt Amodio and Mattea Roach at a disadvantage. I think Andrew and Sam were just faster on the buzzer. Similarly in the 2005 ToC, Ken being an automatic finalist put him at a disadvantage since he came in second to Brad Rutter.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No matter the format I would like the finals and the ToC itself to be a predetermined length of days. If the powers like the overall winner to be the first to win 3 games then guarantee all seven games will be played such as offering $25K-15-10 or lower for additional games. To keep things interesting for a sweep of 3-0 then offer a bonus for a 7-0 rout.

I would like the bit about not knowing the end of the ToC coupled with the start of regular play to go away.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Either way, I don't think there should be byes anymore; and instead TPTB should have everyone play the quarterfinals. But then again, another part of the reason Matt lost his semifinal was probably that he isn't as aggressive a player as James Holzhauer is. If you recall, James had runaway victories in his quarterfinal and semifinal matches before winning his rematch against Emma; he was hungry throughout his ToC.

If TPTB doesn't want to revert back to the old format, here is my idea for future ToC's moving forward. Keep the pool of 21 champions, but change the format a little:
  • have seven quarterfinal matches instead of six
  • even the top-seeded champions play the quarterfinals
  • two players with the highest scores among non-winners advance to the semifinals as wild cards
  • finals can be either a two-point total point affair or a best-of-seven series