LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL Season 95

Post by Woof »

Uluru was my most inspired guess of the last few seasons. Pitjantjatjara was a totally unfamiliar name. My first thought was a native language of the Americas. Likewise, Kata Tjuṯa wasn’t a name I’d ever heard, but I was fairly certain that the other sacred site would be a familiar name. The use of the word prominent made me think of mountains, but I was fairly certain that Kata Tjuṯa wasn’t the Nepalese name of either K2 or Everest. So I started thinking of single geographic features that were considered sacred and arrived at a guess of Uluru. My wife thought that I’d lost it from my insane cackling when the answer was revealed.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I put an 's' on Io. I put a goddamn 's' on Io! Knew that one so cold I didn't even look at the answer when I submitted, saw that Oedipus and Warring States had hit, and drank my beer. Now I have to pay for that beer because I put a goddamn 's' on Io.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 am I put an 's' on Io. I put a goddamn 's' on Io! Knew that one so cold I didn't even look at the answer when I submitted, saw that Oedipus and Warring States had hit, and drank my beer. Now I have to pay for that beer because I put a goddamn 's' on Io.
Gotta say I wondered how you missed that when I saw that in my Player Tracker. Makes sense now.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Don't forget to play the Midseason Classic. It's up.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 am I put an 's' on Io. I put a goddamn 's' on Io! Knew that one so cold I didn't even look at the answer when I submitted, saw that Oedipus and Warring States had hit, and drank my beer. Now I have to pay for that beer because I put a goddamn 's' on Io.
Did you type it or did autocorrect put it in for you?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:14 am
Oh, no, I typed it. It's all on me. (I turn off autocorrect on all my devices.)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

bomtr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:02 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:14 am
Oh, no, I typed it. It's all on me. (I turn off autocorrect on all my devices.)
I think it is no accident that there is never autocorrect "help" on the devices or browsers I have used to submit Learned League answers. I get sugestions (sic, that was a test, and I have a squiggly red line to confirm) on this board, and almost everywhere else (even when I rant on quora comment sections). It would wreak havoc and possibly give assistance (inadvertently) if it was a feature on other platforms that can access the form to submit replies.

When I started in LL80, there were multi-media questions with pictures and/or audio clips. I think they were dropped along the line to avoid problems with people using different platforms, i.e. cell phones or notebooks, etc.. You know, they have to coordinate with all those different IOS's. :evil: I did get this one, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't have pulled any of the other 3 Jovian moons if needed.

Bummer to miss a beer with an unforced error, but at least you didn't crash land on Mars.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I missed a six-pack and took the loss yesterday all due to the omission of a single letter. I put "Blue" rather than "Bluey." Ouch.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 am I missed a six-pack and took the loss yesterday all due to the omission of a single letter. I put "Blue" rather than "Bluey." Ouch.
I ended up going with Goldie (cause Australia's colors are green and gold) because while I thought Bluey up, figured I was mixing it up with Blue's Clues :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Lost 84 points in the Midseason Classic because I didn't RTFQ on Q9 and answered and moneyed "won Nobel Peace Prize" instead of naming one of the senators (of which I knew both).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was a bit surprised only 54% got meter yesterday and there was no MCWA. I'm curious what people put that got this one wrong.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 am I was a bit surprised only 54% got meter yesterday and there was no MCWA. I'm curious what people put that got this one wrong.
Centimeter here. Considered meter, but wasn't thinking a platinum-iridium bar would be that big.

Another lucky win for me, 2(2) -1(2). I think I've clinched promotion provided I don't forfeit. I really will find my name in the top 10 of Lluckiest Llamas. 14 of my 15 past matches have been wins, the other was a draw.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I did some math, multiplying 186,000 (speed of light in miles per second) by 5,280 and dividing that by the nearly 300 million in the denominator in the question to get 3 with a remainder. I wondered what measurement is just over 3 inches, and then I realized my first calculation led to a final result in feet, not inches, and it was easy after that.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:28 pm I did some math, multiplying 186,000 (speed of light in miles per second) by 5,280 and dividing that by the nearly 300 million in the denominator in the question to get 3 with a remainder. I wondered what measurement is just over 3 inches, and then I realized my first calculation led to a final result in feet, not inches, and it was easy after that.
Why would you know the speed of light in miles per second? 3x10^8 meters per second is by far the most common way it is used in any scientific context, in my experience, and that roughly matched the number given. Curious where you would come across the miles/second number enough to commit it to memory.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:06 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:28 pm I did some math, multiplying 186,000 (speed of light in miles per second) by 5,280 and dividing that by the nearly 300 million in the denominator in the question to get 3 with a remainder. I wondered what measurement is just over 3 inches, and then I realized my first calculation led to a final result in feet, not inches, and it was easy after that.
Why would you know the speed of light in miles per second? 3x10^8 meters per second is by far the most common way it is used in any scientific context, in my experience, and that roughly matched the number given. Curious where you would come across the miles/second number enough to commit it to memory.
I don't know why I know anything!

Joke answer: I actually skipped explaining some steps in my post; first I converted 8 minutes and change into seconds, and divided 93,000,000 by that to get 186,000 miles per second
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I know it in miles per second, too. I think it's pretty common in this country to quote it in those units. 3x10^8 m/s is certainly easier to remember, though.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Joke answer: I actually skipped explaining some steps in my post; first I converted 8 minutes and change into seconds, and divided 93,000,000 by that to get 186,000 miles per second
Ha, see I knew there was more to the story!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:24 pm

This is interesting to me, because I seem to have imprinted where I learned/heard of almost everything. It might be vocabulary words or factoids, but I can recall the coding of neurons quite often. I ONLY knew the 186,000 miles/second version until College Physics. I routinely cruised our world books/encyclopedias at home, and it was presented for the wow factor, with a graphic showing 7 laps around the earth. I learned the 93 million miles to the sun from Jeep in a Popeye cartoon, I don't remember the context. I'm not sure where I picked up the 8 light minute to the sun factoid, maybe the same World book? The metric system was only given recognized in Chemistry class.

I thought that the iridium bar artifact was better known, as well as the origin story of the metric system. My sibs said "speed", and "nanosecond". (two others missed it too, so I guess I got all of the left brains in the family - explains why I can't draw worth a sh*t).

I picked Australia immediately because the name of the stadium just sounds like an Aussie thing, but I (think I know) that T20 cricket is hugely popular in India so I Pavlov'd to it. I thought the UN brokered conflict would be the Tutsi's/Hutu in that time period, but said Sudan instead of Rwanda anyway. I can't believe how obvious the answer (Iran/Iraq) was.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:25 pm
I know it in miles per second, too. I think it's pretty common in this country to quote it in those units. 3x10^8 m/s is certainly easier to remember, though.
Exactly. I knew that number long before I knew the metric numbers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think I learned the 186,000 mp/s factoid in third grade science and it just stuck to me. Never really had a need for the other measurement. I had read the definition of a meter before and it sounded like what he wrote.

I thought of Australia for the cricket question but decided it was too obvious and switched to New Zealand.