Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well, it looks like 26/30 is the best I can do on a Kids' Week. That !*@#$ category ate my lunch. I keep thinking Jeter is a basketball player (he just doesn't sound baseball-y to me); and NHO Jeremy Lin or Shawn White. I was also confused on the horseshoes clue in Yard.

DJ! was really rocky. The DD was my only get in Ballet; I got only 2/5 in both Kid Hero and 21st Century, and 3/5 in Myths. Also blanked on triceratops.

Major props for the Avatar: The Last Airbender clue. Even more major props by putting "Nick" in there to make it clear they were talking about the excellent cartoon and not the absolutely dreadful movie.

My reasoning on FJ! was "Well, Alaska's ginormous and has a ton of coastline, so it can't possibly be anything else." How the hell does Canada have more?
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

TenPoundHammer wrote:and NHO Jeremy Lin or Shawn White.
So clearly you haven't watched any news affiliate for I don't know, the last 8 months?
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
So clearly you haven't watched any news affiliate for I don't know, the last 8 months?
I tune out anything related to sports. It just really, really doesn't interest me.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: My reasoning on FJ! was "Well, Alaska's ginormous and has a ton of coastline, so it can't possibly be anything else." How the hell does Canada have more?
Have you never seen the Eastern coast of Canada?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: My reasoning on FJ! was "Well, Alaska's ginormous and has a ton of coastline, so it can't possibly be anything else." How the hell does Canada have more?
Wow, between that and conflating Wizard of Oz with freaking Alice in Wonderland, I do wonder why my brain is misfiring so badly today.

See, this is why I don't do drugs. I'm stupid and incoherent enough when clean.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

World Geography
This country in the Americas has more than 125,000 miles of coastline, the most of any country in the world.
Spoiler
What is Canada? Hallie said Chile.
Hallie Fox: $19,800-$5,000=$14,800
Neha Embar: $11,400+$10,001=$21,401
Greg Boscaiu: $5,800+$5,800=$11,600
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

alamble wrote:
Don't forget all those northerly islands.

You might enjoy this quiz, btw.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/longestcoastlines
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Sports category will often define rooting interests. Another A-Rod for Jeter? It already happened in the May 14th game. Sorry Greg I can't root for you. Neha scored points in the Sports category, but I always hate the switch out to another category. Hallie was indeed impressive with the Kid Heroes and nice get with Sharkboy and Lavagirl.

The three by me in the J! round were all in Birthday Party Locations. I made it worse on one of them by guessing pinball machines off Pinz instead of bowling.

The DJ round had me trying a guess as well with eagle off "lone" instead of the wolf.

Even in kids week I can be hesitant for $2000 if something seems too obvious and easy and I did a pas de clam on the bow. No Billy Elliot would have had me losing a side bet.

Neha got the money, but Hallie had a very good DJ round that she can be proud of and Greg at least got out of there with a correct FJ response to double up.

Hammer: If you had paid enough attention to the clue to at least guess a country which one might you have guessed? But at least you had a guess and that's an improvement over last Friday.

TOC on Monday. Let's see:
Just in case there is even one person who missed it the first time around.
Spoiler
Gold - Buddy, Joon, Mark, Tom N
Silver - Jay, Kara, Erin, Justin, Brian
Bronze - Charles, John, Tom K, Paul, Christopher

Wait that's only 14. Oh yeah, Platinum - Roger
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Sports category will often define rooting interests. Another A-Rod for Jeter? It already happened in the May 14th game. Sorry Greg I can't root for you. Neha scored points in the Sports category, but I always hate the switch out to another category. Hallie was indeed impressive with the Kid Heroes and nice get with Sharkboy and Lavagirl.

The three by me in the J! round were all in Birthday Party Locations. I made it worse on one of them by guessing pinball machines off Pinz instead of bowling.

The DJ round had me trying a guess as well with eagle off "lone" instead of the wolf.

Even in kids week I can be hesitant for $2000 if something seems too obvious and easy and I did a pas de clam on the bow. No Billy Elliot would have had me losing a side bet.

Neha got the money, but Hallie had a very good DJ round that she can be proud of and Greg at least got out of there with a correct FJ response to double up.

Hammer: If you had paid enough attention to the clue to at least guess a country which one might you have guessed? But at least you had a guess and that's an improvement over last Friday.

TOC on Monday. Let's see:
Just in case there is even one person who missed it the first time around.
Spoiler
Gold - Buddy, Joon, Mark, Tom N
Silver - Jay, Kara, Erin, Justin, Brian
Bronze - Charles, John, Tom K, Paul, Christopher

Wait that's only 14. Oh yeah, Platinum - Roger
HOw in the world did you remember all 15?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Magna wrote:
alamble wrote:
Don't forget all those northerly islands.

interesting little game, got 20/25 in the allotted time, missed Greece and those small nations.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CyrusChan wrote:
Magna wrote: Don't forget all those northerly islands.

interesting little game, got 20/25 in the allotted time, missed Greece and those small nations.
Ummm, your country that you stated would best go in a spoiler. (True, it's not a J! spoiler, but it is a spoiler for those who want to play the Sporcle game ... )
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Hey, I'm a newsophile (the executive producer of CBC News once called me a "news junkie". I wear that as a badge of honour. That's how hardcore I am.) and I clammed both, Lin only came to me after as a "oh yeah, I think I've heard of him", and NHO White. One doesn't have to live in a cave to not get them.

On the other hand, TPH, you got the first two sports clues, and at least know that Jeter is a sports star and not the president of Bulgaria or something. So something *does* filter through, you have to let it.

Out of curiosity, TPH, what did you write down for final, "Alaska", or "the USA"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I wrote "honey badger". (Kidding. I really did write USA.)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

dhkendall wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Hey, I'm a newsophile (the executive producer of CBC News once called me a "news junkie". I wear that as a badge of honour. That's how hardcore I am.) and I clammed both, Lin only came to me after as a "oh yeah, I think I've heard of him", and NHO White. One doesn't have to live in a cave to not get them.
Wouldn't technically your country of residence have a say in the Jeremy Lin-sanity coverage? I could understand less coverage in Canada, but even national news channels were all over Lin.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:I made it worse on one of them by guessing pinball machines off Pinz instead of bowling.

Ditto and ditto.

At least I am in good company.

And, for once, a clue about Canada that didn't leave the contestants standing and staring. Let's hear it for the kids!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Wouldn't technically your country of residence have a say in the Jeremy Lin-sanity coverage? I could understand less coverage in Canada, but even national news channels were all over Lin.
Which is why at least the name Lin rang a bell, he is covered up here. I'm sure Shawn White is too, but sports stories don't register as much with me.

We get plenty of coverage of your athletes as well - there's lots of baseball fans up here, and having (I think) only 1 MLB team here doesn't mean it's just "all Blue Jays, all the time", but we hear about all the teams, as I'm sure questions about players on the Padres or Twins or Marlins aren't stand and stares for you because they're all the way across the country.

Canadian sports fans are pretty much like American fans, you'll see the same jerseys on the streets, and watch the same games on TV. The biggest difference is that you follow college sports more and we follow hockey (whatever we can get: NHL, AHL, even the minor leagues) more. Oh, and add CFL to the mix here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: We get plenty of coverage of your athletes as well - there's lots of baseball fans up here, and having (I think) only 1 MLB team here doesn't mean it's just "all Blue Jays, all the time", but we hear about all the teams, as I'm sure questions about players on the Padres or Twins or Marlins aren't stand and stares for you because they're all the way across the country.
Nah, they're stand and stares because those teams suck. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On FJ, I started with Canada but then started to think about it. Canada borders Alaska on the west, no coast there. The US is too obvious, let's try Brazil. Music ends. Wait, Canada is on the Arctic Ocean on the north. What a #%&*@ way to end the season.
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote: Which is why at least the name Lin rang a bell, he is covered up here. I'm sure Shawn White is too, but sports stories don't register as much with me.
Shaun White was a gold medalist at that wintertime international sporting competition that was held in your country not too long ago. (Also in Turin, where he was a breakout star, but still)
Bamaman wrote:On FJ, I started with Canada but then started to think about it. Canada borders Alaska on the west, no coast there. The US is too obvious, let's try Brazil. Music ends. Wait, Canada is on the Arctic Ocean on the north. What a #%&*@ way to end the season.
I think the Canadians would be kinda surprised to realize they don't have any Pacific coastline.