Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:22 am No luck finding Jeffrey Kessler in the archive.

Carlos Ross: https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8797
Genevieve Sheehan: https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6398
I found a KesslerJ4 on the LL site. He's in Troy Meyer's branch and was referred by Genevieve.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:22 amYeah, that was a season finale. The episode was titled: "Guess They Don't Teach Math at Harvard!"

It should have been called "Die by the Sword".
Terrific episode. I can't be the only one who loves seeing James fail as heel. I only wish Genevieve had gone for the higher offer so they could have split an enormous pot. Still, what they won should be plenty to get VV, schliemann and Liam to Paris in style.
bluejaylink wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:23 am So that J! archive page says Genevieve is married to Troy Meyer who I believe is on Victoria Groce's team in the Online Quiz League.

So maybe the producer's had to make sure she wasn't the Chaser against Genevieve.
That's a pretty safe bet.
In and out of the pool four times
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:13 pm
cf1140 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 pm Will there be a season 4 of the chase?

A rerun of Celebrity Family Feud beat the Chase in viewers and the former was up against the MLB Allstar game.
There is probably an entire season 4 already in the can. I know people personally whose episodes have taped but have not yet aired.
There was a person at the Jeopardy! audition I went to that had taped an episode but couldn't reveal any details because it hadn't aired yet. I was hoping to watch them play but I haven't seen them on any of the episodes. So like you said, there are episodes that have taped but haven't aired. Unless I missed something.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The Chase coming back this Thursday.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done. Some people may not be watching the same night it airs at 10, so I like to allow a little time before updating the player pages. Thanks for rounding up the player page numbers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I tried watching the first episode and sighed when none of the players took the high offer. The producers should tweak the format to randomize the bank / steps away. I haven’t thought this through, but the show is too predictable and the offstage groans from the Chasers are getting stale. There’s no drama when 1 in 10 takes the high offer. The final chase is still exciting but overall the show feels like a predictable slog.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:23 pm I tried watching the first episode and sighed when none of the players took the high offer. The producers should tweak the format to randomize the bank / steps away. I haven’t thought this through, but the show is too predictable and the offstage groans from the Chasers are getting stale. There’s no drama when 1 in 10 takes the high offer. The final chase is still exciting but overall the show feels like a predictable slog.
The rarity of high offers is quite predictable and is not really affected by the value of the high offer. Anyone who’s played tournament poker knows how risk-averse most otherwise rational people are. The emotional calculus between the upside (more money) and the downside (being caught and exiting) will almost always favor playing it safer. I thought the best case for taking the high offer was the third one (20 vs 125K) but even that didn’t sway her to do it.
Golf

Post by Golf »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:23 pm I tried watching the first episode and sighed when none of the players took the high offer. The producers should tweak the format to randomize the bank / steps away. I haven’t thought this through, but the show is too predictable and the offstage groans from the Chasers are getting stale. There’s no drama when 1 in 10 takes the high offer. The final chase is still exciting but overall the show feels like a predictable slog.
Woof wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:19 pm The rarity of high offers is quite predictable and is not really affected by the value of the high offer. Anyone who’s played tournament poker knows how risk-averse most otherwise rational people are. The emotional calculus between the upside (more money) and the downside (being caught and exiting) will almost always favor playing it safer. I thought the best case for taking the high offer was the third one (20 vs 125K) but even that didn’t sway her to do it.
The contestants on The Chase are no different than Jeopardy contestants, they play not to lose instead of playing to win. And this typically leads to making the worst strategic decisions possible.

When it comes to DD wagering on Jeopardy, the wager that shows the highest winning chances is almost always the min or the max while the middle is the worst. The same is almost certainly true when it comes to the three offers. The offer that shows the most money won on average is almost always going to be either the highest or the lowest.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

The buzzers and the time they take up is such a disadvantage for the contestants. It probably doesn't fully give back the disadvantage the Chaser has with the pushbacks, but for such a strong Chaser like Victoria it has to come close to being a wash.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:19 pm I thought the best case for taking the high offer was the third one (20 vs 125K 250K) but even that didn’t sway her to do it.
FTFY
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Carpe Diem wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:58 am
Woof wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:19 pm I thought the best case for taking the high offer was the third one (20 vs 125K 250K) but even that didn’t sway her to do it.
FTFY
Thx. Did that from memory and couldn’t fact check. Of course, the point is even stronger now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Player pages for Randani and Mike updated.

During the show there was a promo to apply to be a contestant, so expect more episodes?

The difference in the game may have been Question Set A vs. B?

If Dalak Desai ever shows up on J! then I can add this game show appearance to his bio page.

Loved the reaction of the lounge chasers to Ranjani spitting out the long word.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

To me this show is the worst of the "other" trivia shows. College Bowl, Weakest Link, Master Minds >>>

The Backroom convos are awkward, Sarah's voice is poor for hosting, the lighting is distracting, the questions are jammed together in such a short time and not written on screen, the interactions between contestants on pushbacks is awkward, these non-beast chasers just don't have the It Factor.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:53 am Loved the reaction of the lounge chasers to Ranjani spitting out the long word.
I think Woof got a bonus for that word in a TD once.

I’m enjoying The Chase. The contestants and chasers all seem really good.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:19 pm
The rarity of high offers is quite predictable and is not really affected by the value of the high offer. Anyone who’s played tournament poker knows how risk-averse most otherwise rational people are. The emotional calculus between the upside (more money) and the downside (being caught and exiting) will almost always favor playing it safer. I thought the best case for taking the high offer was the third one (20 vs 125K) but even that didn’t sway her to do it.
I think another factor on The Chase is the randomness of the questions in the money round. In DD wagering in Jeopardy, at least you know the category to help in the decision making process. It also seems to me that in the money round, The Chase (evening version) seems prone to what I would call “random factoid” types of trivia questions. Faced with this type of uncertainty, it does not surprise me that almost all contestants take the middle offer.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

My biggest problem with The Chase is it takes forever to get through a game. There is so much filler. So many commercials. Even fastforwarding through it all takes me 5-10 minutes.
davey

Post by davey »

DysonSphere wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:37 pm My biggest problem with The Chase is it takes forever to get through a game. There is so much filler. So many commercials. Even fastforwarding through it all takes me 5-10 minutes.
This is one of the positives for me. It's easy to find the gameplay amidst all the talk.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Man, did Buzzy forget there was a 2 minute clock last night?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:10 pm Man, did Buzzy forget there was a 2 minute clock last night?
It was like he knew John was MacKenzie (in the ToC he hosted) Jones's brother. The peanut gallery was in disbelief and going crazy as they should. ABC surprised me with the result as I did not see it coming since the eps. can be shown in mixed order.
LucarioSnooperVixey

John Lance and Mackenzie Jones are brother and sister? I never knew that.

Isaac said that his dad lost on J!

Who was that comedian that was asked in the first cash builder. Mabs Mayberry, something like that?
Douglas Squasoni