LL Season 96

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

LL Season 96

Post by Volante »

Schedules're up. New season starts Monday

Remember, no talking about, hinting at or even acknowledging active questions exist on the day of.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 96

Post by twelvefootboy »

Shock! The morbeedo branch has been moved out of Taiga to one of eight new leagues (Waterfront).
Only one other Taiga branch is with us, so it's time to start building new grudges 8-) .

For LL96, the players in the following branches will be realigned from their current league. These realignments address balance issues across the leagues and populate the eight new leagues beginning play in LL96: Cardinal, Avalon, Waterfront, Cypress, Cove, Plateau, Tranquility, and Overlook.

The announcement escaped me. If you've been transplanted, you can find it here: https://learnedleague.com/annc.php?89

Our new best friends in Waterfront, the best damn rundle ever:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:54 am Shock! The morbeedo branch has been moved out of Taiga to one of eight new leagues (Waterfront).
On the Waterfront, huh? *starts making contender joke, gets punched out by a stevedore*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

This is the start of my third stretch in "D" rundle, and for the first time as a "D" person, I won my opening match 5(3)-1(2). I just watched the Super Bowl but could not pull Heinz out of that...but it was a facepalm when I put it all together. Clever..
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I opened the season with a 5(3)-4(3) win. I wasn't sure on Heinz, but I knew that this year's Super Bowl was 50-something and that led me to Heinz right away. I am kind of surprised by the low get rate on that one. I feel like I have seen the "Heinz 57" thing come up in various trivia questions many times over the years.

Alaska was an educated guess. "Tlingit" sounded like "inuit," and I had nothing better.

And I can always thank Frank Spangenberg for knowing about Wendy Wasserstein!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I got Heinz partially because the Super Bowl was the day before. At first I was thinking Roman Numerals for the year, but couldn't think of a "food processing company" that only had MMXXIII in the name. Then tried to remember any of the few commercials I saw / heard about until it dawned on me that these questions are pre-written, so it couldn't have been from, say, an M&Ms commercial that only aired the night before. Finally got to that it was Super Bowl LVII, put it together.

Like Steven, Alaska was an educated guess.

Glad the regular season is back!
Volante

Post by Volante »

'Northern Exposure' got me the Tlingit clue
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

For what I'm pretty sure was the first time in my 26 seasons I started off with a six pack, hopefully a harbinger of the season. Wasn't sure if it was Heinz or Heinz 57. Went with the latter, which was either correct or not disqualifying. Also wasn't sure if Prince Harry was sufficient but it was.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Six-pack for me, too. It seems like a good omen, anyway!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LVII made me think of the four center letters in Velveeta, so I answered that and never thought any harder about it.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:42 pm LVII made me think of the four center letters in Velveeta, so I answered that and never thought any harder about it.
That's Finnish Velveeta.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:45 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:54 am Shock! The morbeedo branch has been moved out of Taiga to one of eight new leagues (Waterfront).
On the Waterfront, huh? *starts making contender joke, gets punched out by a stevedore*
I discovered this morning the league abbreviation for us is Wtf :lol: . Now I know why we were evicted from Taiga. We do have the coolest league abbreviation 8-) .

I enjoy clues like the combine clue. It's nice when Thorsten throws a bone to flyover country. Three C rundles had a 100% get rate compared to the 75% leaguewide. The machines are pretty much as well known as school busses around here. I doubt if 10% of locals can actually name the reaping/threshing/winnowing tasks. The old steam powered ones were compartmentalized to see the processes in plain sight. Now it's a big green box that eats up crops and they mostly disappear until the giant bowel movement into the truck.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Yesterday:
Thorsten wrote:Mathematically speaking, actor Angus T. Jones portrayed 20% of the titular cast of what popular television sitcom?
Spoiler
Two and Half Men
Never heard of the actor and never watched an episode of the show. I HATED this clue when I read it.

Laughed so hard and so loud and so long at the reveal that my wife came in from the other room to see if anything was wrong. I LOVE this clue.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It was almost as much fun to get 3 points for "hematite" as it was to get $5,000 for it on a Daily Double back in the day.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Still not sure why I know "Everton"...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:42 pm Still not sure why I know "Everton"...
I could name most of the teams, but I can't say I know any of the emblems (except for Arsenal's cannon).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

After two days of getting four right, yesterday was a brutal set. I came close to 4 MCWA's, but took IRS over CIA for the CDC question. I'm curious if 88% of the league got the gummy ear question from the clue or had heard of it from the hype (that I missed out on). I just started and stopped at fist as a body part without putting my Thorsten filter in place. Another fun clue I wish I'd got from second principles.

Our pitiful little E rundle only got 26 right (22 players) and collected 26 match points in toto. I know there's been harder match days in general but I usually know before the reveal if I've had my butt kicked.
Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you :) .
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:42 pm Still not sure why I know "Everton"...
I guessed it from this question plus knowing the River Mersey from the Beatles.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:56 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:45 pm
I discovered this morning the league abbreviation for us is Wtf :lol: . Now I know why we were evicted from Taiga. We do have the coolest league abbreviation 8-) .
Onward and upward! 8-)
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Well KendallDH, sorry for guessing hopscotch correctly. For some reason I thought it odd the Q didn't include the phrase "hop around," so went with hopscotch, possibly with the subliminal hint of "jumping" in there. Good match!

I have no business leading a B rundle, but 7 CAA through 3 days helped me get to 3-0, so there I am.