LL Season 96

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL Season 96

Post by StevenH »

It didn't take me long to get my first 0(0) of the season. I lost out on two 50 50 90 guesses: Edo over Heian and District over Corner, though on the latter question I wasn't confident that either was correct.

I briefly considered Philadelphia for the music question, but it ended up being a toss up between Memphis and St. Louis for me on that one. I went with Memphis.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Interesting situation yesterday. In both of my matches, I gave my opponents 0 for Ben and Jerry, while they both gave me 3 for the same question. Especially given that there was a question with a literal 0% get rate, I can’t figure this out. Does something in my profile scream out ‘I hate delicious frozen treats’?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Both opponents gave me 0 on Tysons Corner for some strange reason.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Why is today an off day?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:31 am Why is today an off day?
Holiday weekend.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:29 am Both opponents gave me 0 on Tysons Corner for some strange reason.
My opponent was from Frederick, Maryland so he also got a big fat zero from me. :)

Seems like lots of people hated this question and I'm not sure why. I mean it wasn't exactly interesting, but almost 60% got it right, so it wasn't obscure. I have a feeling some people get really upset when most people know the answer to a question that they didn't have a clue on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:58 am Interesting situation yesterday. In both of my matches, I gave my opponents 0 for Ben and Jerry, while they both gave me 3 for the same question. Especially given that there was a question with a literal 0% get rate, I can’t figure this out. Does something in my profile scream out ‘I hate delicious frozen treats’?
I think BigDaddyMatty endorsed your frozen-treat-philia with the 3 in bizarro play. He is leading among the four of us that seem to be donating match points the best we can. We are happy to help boost self-esteem any way we can :). I could not have pulled Cohen's name, but recognized it as correct when I figured out the product.

I immediately typed in Philadelphia for the MoTown alternative, and changed it to Memphis when I could not figure out why I thought it was Philly. Maybe Dick Clark made me think of Philly, so I switched. I still don't know how I knew about Philly's significance unless I confused it with Soul Train which TIL was out of Chicago. I still managed four right (NHO the Japanese era) and am in 2nd in Wtf E Div 1.

LMAO that the MCWA for the Corner was Tyson's Chicken :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had New Orleans for the music city, picked it over Philly.

Guessed Plantation for what was dropped.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:00 am LMAO that the MCWA for the Corner was Tyson's Chicken :).
Yes, I enjoyed that as well. :lol:
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:00 am
mahatma wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:58 am Interesting situation yesterday. In both of my matches, I gave my opponents 0 for Ben and Jerry, while they both gave me 3 for the same question. Especially given that there was a question with a literal 0% get rate, I can’t figure this out. Does something in my profile scream out ‘I hate delicious frozen treats’?
I think BigDaddyMatty endorsed your frozen-treat-philia with the 3 in bizarro play. He is leading among the four of us that seem to be donating match points the best we can. We are happy to help boost self-esteem any way we can :). I could not have pulled Cohen's name, but recognized it as correct when I figured out the product.

I immediately typed in Philadelphia for the MoTown alternative, and changed it to Memphis when I could not figure out why I thought it was Philly. Maybe Dick Clark made me think of Philly, so I switched. I still don't know how I knew about Philly's significance unless I confused it with Soul Train which TIL was out of Chicago. I still managed four right (NHO the Japanese era) and am in 2nd in Wtf E Div 1.

Well, shoot. I’ve been playing straight up, but bizarro-style. Sorry about that.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:02 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:00 am

Well, shoot. I’ve been playing straight up, but bizarro-style. Sorry about that.
I'm sure you will still win at whatever personal gameplay you decide :). I'm trying to win the 3-point competition but am only 2 for 4 so far. Heinz and Ben/Jerry were not picked up for me. But I am the only competitor so I have a good chance ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Was one of five in my rundle who answered five questions in MD 5 correctly. Was the only one of the five to lose my match, as my opponent was the only person in the rundle to get all six. I missed the tie with "biochemistry" instead of "chemistry." Ouch.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Going the wrong way between Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett was the difference between a loss and a win for me. You would think by now that I would have learned to go with the more obvious answer when in doubt.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

You live and learn with this stuff. Got burned on "Spare" to start the season. So I thought, you need to start looking at the NY times best sellers list on occasion to make sure you know titles of current books out there.

Never heard of "Lessons in Chemistry", until I missed a question about "Spare" the other day.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ugg...so this is what it looks like when karma has to balance out an entire season's worth of good luck...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Two 5(4)-4(4) victories is quite satisfying.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yesterday my first thought was orangutan but switched to gorilla. Then I didn’t RTFQ the math question and only put supplementary. Snatched a tie from the jaws of victory.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Sigh. I notched a goose egg on MD9 and got absolutely blown out, 0(0)-8(5). Ouch. It has been a season and a half since I last had a day when I got nothing correct. Oh well...it happens. I had been off to a good start in my rundle and had been hanging around in, or near, the promotion zone for the first few days but that's all gone now. Historically, I have never had a winning record in my previous forays into D...so MD9 probably served as a regression to the mean.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:00 am Two 5(4)-4(4) victories is quite satisfying.
Losing to three 9(6)s in a span of five matches is less so.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Avogardo instead of Avogadro lost me 3 points, so I ended up losing 5(4)-6(4). Grrrrrr.....now maybe I'll remember how to spell his name!