Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, i looked at the map now. I thought Alaska took up more room than it did over there.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

125,000 miles is 5 times around the world. Such a country would need a lot of islands.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Vanya wrote:125,000 miles is 5 times around the world. Such a country would need a lot of islands.
and/or a very jagged coastline
mbclev
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mbclev »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I tune out anything related to sports. It just really, really doesn't interest me.
You're probably preaching to a lot of the choir (but not to me; I am interested in a lot of sports, including Australian rules football, which I was happy to see as a correct response earlier).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:
Vanya wrote:125,000 miles is 5 times around the world. Such a country would need a lot of islands.
and/or a very jagged coastline
Of which, we have both in abundance.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

That was a smart wager by Greg on that Nutcracker DD, because he still had a chance to get within half of the leader's score on that last clue (he had $5800, and the leader had $15,400 going into the final $2000 clue). The mistake you make, seaborgium, is that you are thinking ahead in hindsight (you apply what happened afterward after the wager; I do not as I watch the show), so I do not apply what happened after that DD to the rest of the game. The fact remains that Greg still had a chance to get within half of the leader's score with that final clue (just like the man who stupidly wagered too much on a DD on that Saudi Arabia FJ show still would have had a chance to get within half of the leader's score with those final clues had he not wagered stupidly, so even a young kid like Greg was smarter than that man!).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The leader had $17,400 going into the final clue. Since he had $6,800, Greg should have wagered no more than $100 if he wanted to be able to get within half of her score on the $2,000 clue. By your standards, and as you like to say, he stupidly wagered too much.

(And since you like to just call me wrong when I get info straight from J! Archive without linking to it, here are the scores as the game progressed: http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=3967)
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

seaborgium wrote:The leader had $17,400 going into the final clue. Since he had $6,800, Greg should have wagered no more than $100 if he wanted to be able to get within half of her score on the $2,000 clue. By your standards, and as you like to say, he stupidly wagered too much.

(And since you like to just call me wrong when I get info straight from J! Archive without linking to it, here are the scores as the game progressed: http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=3967)
What I'm saying is if Greg had gotten that last clue, he would have had $7800, as opposed to the leader's $15,400, which meant that he still would have had a chance to win. The guy who wagered stupidly on that Saudi Arabia FJ show still would have had a chance to get within half of the leader's score had he not wagered too much.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mbclev wrote:
seaborgium wrote:The leader had $17,400 going into the final clue. Since he had $6,800, Greg should have wagered no more than $100 if he wanted to be able to get within half of her score on the $2,000 clue. By your standards, and as you like to say, he stupidly wagered too much.

What I'm saying is if Greg had gotten that last clue, he would have had $7800, as opposed to the leader's $15,400, which meant that he still would have had a chance to win. The guy who wagered stupidly on that Saudi Arabia FJ show still would have had a chance to get within half of the leader's score had he not wagered too much.
What I'm saying is the leader had $17,400 when Greg hit the DD, not $15,400. Since he had $6,800, he needed to bet less than $100 to still have a chance to pass half the leader's total (which, again, was $17,400, half of which is $8,700).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm going to be really disappointed if it is never revealed that mbclev is actually an alternate personality of seaborgium, created by his deeply disturbed psyche in order to be able to have inane arguments with himself in a public forum.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

seaborgium wrote:
mbclev wrote:

What I'm saying is the leader had $17,400 when Greg hit the DD, not $15,400. Since he had $6,800, he needed to bet less than $100 to still have a chance to pass half the leader's total (which, again, was $17,400, half of which is $8,700).
Well, whatever the amount you say is, Greg is just a kid, and no one would expect him to do the math in such a high-pressure situation like this. It's the adult contestants that I get upset about in this case. (Ask Terry Kent about that. I'm glad this season is finally over, though, thank God, with too many people forgetting to phrase correct DJ or DD responses, and such mistakes always worry me, as you know. No criticisms to me about this, please, because you know what I can do when you do that, and that would not be pleasant.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

No, you can't say, "He made a good wager," then when it's revealed that you've got the numbers wrong and he made a bad wager by the standards you uphold, say, "Well, never mind what the numbers were, math is hard for a kid." As far as your thought process goes, he made a bad wager.

By the way, he didn't need half the leader's score; third place only needs to have the difference between first and second place to have a chance in FJ.

Also, for someone who claims not to take the outcome of the game beyond a late DD wager into account for assessing the appropriateness of the wager, you certainly have complained very little about "stupid" wagers by the likes of Jerry Harvey, Debbie Barnes, and Judy Mermelstein. From your silence about those particular people who made late, huge bets, I can only conclude that they didn't bother you because they got their DDs right, and, therefore, that you expect all players to be clairvoyant of the clue as they make their wagers. And that's unfair.

P.S. David Siegel would have lost anyway. Good day!
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

seaborgium wrote:No, you can't say, "He made a good wager," then when it's revealed that you've got the numbers wrong and he made a bad wager by the standards you uphold, say, "Well, never mind what the numbers were, math is hard for a kid." As far as your thought process goes, he made a bad wager.

By the way, he didn't need half the leader's score; third place only needs to have the difference between first and second place to have a chance in FJ.

Also, for someone who claims not to take the outcome of the game beyond a late DD wager into account for assessing the appropriateness of the wager, you certainly have complained very little about "stupid" wagers by the likes of Jerry Harvey, Debbie Barnes, and Judy Mermelstein. From your silence about those particular people who made late, huge bets, I can only conclude that they didn't bother you because they got their DDs right, and, therefore, that you expect all players to be clairvoyant of the clue as they make their wagers. And that's unfair.

P.S. David Siegel would have lost anyway. Good day!
I told you, no criticisms about this, seaborgium! SIEGEL WOULD NOT HAVE LOST IF HE HAD NOT MADE THAT MISTAKE!!! And furthermore, those other people that you mentioned who made big DD wagers and got it right probably knew a lot more about the category (-ies) that DD was in, and where the DD was on the board.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mbclev wrote:SIEGEL WOULD NOT HAVE LOST IF HE HAD NOT MADE THAT MISTAKE!!!
Yes, he would have.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

econgator wrote:
Yes, he would have.
No, he wouldn't have, econgator! (He lost by $1301, less than the $1600 turnaround that would have occurred had he not made that mistake.) And I will defend this viewpoint to the death, even until I'm blue in the face, so don't goad me on this anymore!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

mbclev wrote:
No, he wouldn't have, econgator! (He lost by $1301, less than the $1600 turnaround that would have occurred had he not made that mistake.) And I will defend this viewpoint to the death, even until I'm blue in the face, so don't goad me on this anymore!
Pix, please.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mbclev wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yes, he would have.
Will you die any sooner if we insist on living out reality?

HE WOULD HAVE! HE WOULD HAVE! HE WOULD HAVE!

Why do you insist on trying to push your alternate universe onto us?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:
mbclev wrote:
Pix, please.
Seconded.

This pigheadedness might hold up in a Yahoo comments section, but you're up against people who CAN ACTUALLY DO MATH.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

[quote="bpmod]Why do you insist on trying to push your alternate universe onto us?

Brian[/quote]

It is NOT an alternate universe, bpmod! It is what I thought when I initially watched those shows in 1995, long before boards like this one came into existence, and it has been implicitly backed up by sports commentators, especially the Australian rules football commentator who mentioned Collingwood's kick that should have been called a 1-point behind rather than a 6-point goal. (He said that if Collingwood were to have won the match by six points or less, that mistake would have cost Collingwood's opponent, Geelong, the match. That has essentially been my viewpoint on J! matters like this, and none of you will ever move me from that viewpoint, and if you try to do so, I will rebut those arguments vehemently. And you'd better treat other people who have views about this similar to mine the same way you treat me; otherwise, I will say that you are practicing a double standard.)
Last edited by mbclev on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:... but you're up against people who CAN ACTUALLY DO MATH.
I don't think it's the ability/inability to do math that is the issue here. mbclev seems to think that the FJ! wagers are not based upon the scores at the time said wagers are made, but are somehow cast in stone based upon some other factors not apparent to the average contestant or viewer, and when they seem to be corelated, it's just coincidence.

Brian