Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by cf1140 »

Tv Listings for Thursday Feb 23 do not have The Chase listed. Any idea when the final four episodes will air. Instead its a new show The Company You Keep.

When do you think we will see the final four episodes? Maybe not until the Jeopardy Masters airs.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:04 pm Tonight’s J! Alum

https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10406
Player page updated.

My understanding is four episodes have not aired. Perhaps May with The Masters?
LucarioSnooperVixey

Crossover of the day: Rutherfordium.

Also asked on Masterminds that day.
Douglas Squasoni
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Seeing on social media that episodes are now on Hulu, which I don't have.

Can anyone check to see if the four unaired episodes are on Hulu? There would be 20 episodes with a season 3 label rather than the 16 they have aired.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:28 pm Seeing on social media that episodes are now on Hulu, which I don't have.

Can anyone check to see if the four unaired episodes are on Hulu? There would be 20 episodes with a season 3 label rather than the 16 they have aired.
Hulu has 14, 15 & 16 available and ABC On Demand has 11-16 available.

17-20 are not coming in in the next two weeks and perhaps they'll air on the same night as J! Masters?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BuzzerBlog has The Chase returning on Thursday June 29 at 10 following Press Your Luck & Generation Gap.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:08 pm BuzzerBlog has The Chase returning on Thursday June 29 at 10 following Press Your Luck & Generation Gap.
That is a painfully long time between taping and airing as half of the episodes of the same season aired in Summer 2022. Episodes were probably taped in early 2022.
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:08 pm BuzzerBlog has The Chase returning on Thursday June 29 at 10 following Press Your Luck & Generation Gap.
Bumping so folks can set their VCRs. 9/8 Central, per thechaseabc on Twitter.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:47 pm
Press Your Luck reruns at 10 and not new ones yet. Generation Gap is new and Season 2 to start off those Thursday nights.

Brad is the chaser on July 6th, don't know who it is this week the 29th.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:47 pm
Press Your Luck reruns at 10 and not new ones yet. Generation Gap is new and Season 2 to start off those Thursday nights.

Brad is the chaser on July 6th, don't know who it is this week the 29th.
Per Twitter, it's Brandon.
LucarioSnooperVixey

The Chase back on tonight.

This player page will be updated. https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=12244

Also, Rick Terpstra's WWTBAM appearance during Meredith's final week has not been added to his page yet. He won $1,000.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:22 pm The Chase back on tonight.

This player page will be updated. https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=12244

Also, Rick Terpstra's WWTBAM appearance during Meredith's final week has not been added to his page yet. He won $1,000.
Pages updated.

Ballard. :o
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:18 am Thanks, now I get the appeal of Buzzy even less than I already do. Seriously, what do you see in him that I don't?
cf1140 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:18 am Me wasting time checking dates on J-archive followed by advanced twitter searches to see what peeps said about Buzzy's looks based solely on TenPoundHammer's posts.
agree with the comments for Buzzy, I would honestly trade the nickname and have Brandon be 'the looker' and Buzzy the'Lightning Bolt' if they really liked those nicknames. (I am pretty sure it is just a joke, and everyone knows it's not true) I really do not completely understand why they choose him for the show. (this was written before he was on the podcast) I assume it because he was host during the last tournament of champion. As much as I like seeing the questions, I was sure after last season that there was not going to be another one. spoiler almost everyone lost last season. I am happy though they got a female chaser. (this was for season 3 ep1 (due to the sad reality of spam bots delaying the account making process) though the losing thing has not changed much in season 3 then when I wrote this, was not going to Neopost though when I was not even sure if another season was coming.)

(The rest of them were made the day of post)
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:42 am I'd like to do a very special shout out to the meteorologist who couldn't wait two more seconds to cut in and let us know there were thunderstorms around. You're the best, Wren!
I am just going to agree with you. I have felt this so many times, as the saying goes preaching to the choir.
earendel wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:33 am
davey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:11 pm
earendel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm For some reason our local affiliate showed a rerun of "Holey Moley" despite "The Chase" being listed on the program guide. My DVR dutifully recorded what I hoped to watch, only to be disappointed.
Are you sure? Holey Moley ran late in the East because it was interrupted by the President's speech. Then The Chase played in its entirety. Of course, the ending would still be cut off on your recording.
Yes, I'm sure. The recording started at the beginning of the show. Just to be sure, I ran the recording up to the :45 minute mark and it was still Holey Moley.
decided to add it because why not (for the history books) and since I love holy moly I remember that day very well. they decided to resume holy moly that day from slightly ahead from where it was (like a minute after, annoying since it was near when the someone put it in a hole so we did not get to see it go in the hole and just saw with the next match was going to be.) rather than "continue in progress". I was shocked too when they resumed from the place they ended and even though I cannot find the notes (The one with all the commercial breaks listing the exact moment it came back) from that day right now i have a note indicating that for the chase it was likely around 949 (but the ABC app has a 2 minute delay) right before they enter the stage (these are my notes for if I get 'separated' from my television set what to watch on streaming next day and before I had DVR even said when each of the commercial breaks were so I know which 'dot' to skip to if you wonder why these detailed notes exist)

this 'mini' note assisting me here was likely to tell me 'begin counting at this time (949 is minute '0' on streaming and must have not gotten deleted with the other one)' but I 'dozed off' slightly so I did not get the exact moment but only before they got on stage.). meaning that someone who dvr exactly got 15 minutes if lucky (though it seems she gave up two minutes too early, kind of sad considering how close). (this method has been retired now with a dvr a little over a week after this (The cable company was stubborn) and i can just say which time i left off and go to it (meaning I cannot give any future commercial break notes). but at least they were useful to confirm someones situation.)
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I am so mixed about the show coming back just from looking at the guide saying that it is on the schedule before I even watched the episode. happy for completely selfish reasons that I get the post about it since it was The one other then to JeopDay from last year i was attracted to this wanting to post about last year when the form was not accepting new accounts for spam notice. (it was in a category named 'if I ever can get a Account') and confused logically at both how long is 'season 3' (or did they just give up on numbering seasons from now on like The most recent reboot of wipeout) and how was there so many wins in season 1. (basically meaning, what did they change)
but in terms of after watching this week's game ('first' episode of the season) it actually was a nice to watch game (even though I hope I am not jinxing anything for the coming weeks).

I enjoy watching the main rounds and The comment about 'peer pressure' was hilarious. in the Final chase, I cannot blame him by the way for choosing blink instead of this more random book he chose. That is the authors most known book. a question I was impressed he got right even though I guessed is 'the state beverage in 13 states' answer of milk. (I think I looked it up after another quiz show mentioned that the existence of state beverages and I noticed a lot of them had milk. something that stuck with me since I am lactose intolerant. I had state envy for the ones that had lemonade even though I am proud of the state I come from I love lemonade (The beverage).)

The spoiler is for the final chayse
Spoiler
The 1 second stop was something else. The only thing that would have made it more hilarious would be if the person answered a really obvious incorrect answer to shove it. (though I understand why he did not do that, it was 1 question off from losing it all) to submit the point does it even matter. (since no question is 1 second in length, at least at the medium speed the host talks)
and the chaser Brandon was perfect. The chase lounge was a little quiet this episode other than the analytics count from James (in which he came off his 'caffeine high' from Masters, and actually made sense). anyhow I know better than to judge based on the first episode though let me just let some responses for past comments.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:45 pm Perhaps the season after, Brad and James leave and Matt and Amy take over.
that would have been cool to happen this season. it is actually something I thought would happen (particularly with Amy) but so much for that.
Woof wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:19 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:23 pm I tried watching the first episode and sighed when none of the players took the high offer. The producers should tweak the format to randomize the bank / steps away. I haven’t thought this through, but the show is too predictable and the offstage groans from the Chasers are getting stale. There’s no drama when 1 in 10 takes the high offer. The final chase is still exciting but overall the show feels like a predictable slog.
The rarity of high offers is quite predictable and is not really affected by the value of the high offer. Anyone who’s played tournament poker knows how risk-averse most otherwise rational people are. The emotional calculus between the upside (more money) and the downside (being caught and exiting) will almost always favor playing it safer. I thought the best case for taking the high offer was the third one (20 vs 125K) but even that didn’t sway her to do it.
Even James 'The Gambler' did not take the high offer when he was on the show as a contestant (gsn version) as much as he brags. that its self should tell you help bad of ideas it is.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Very interesting episode! I didn’t think Ric would be able to do it, especially with Brandon being perfect in the head-to-head portion, but James’s precall of 4 pushbacks proved prescient.

Further thoughts on the high offer. Much like FJ, there is an enormous benefit to surviving to the Final Chase that complicates a simple expected value computation. My subjective impression is that, whereas the Cash Builder and Final Chase are classic factual recall, the multiple-choice questions are more random and true trivia that few people will know outright. If I were there, I’d be very tempted to go with a lower value to maximize my chances of surviving, unless my Cash Builder was so pathetic that I felt the need to increase my stake.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A couple of J! Archive bio pages to update after tonight's episode, since Barbara Noyes and Sharath Narayan were contestants. (I believe Jose Ruiz, who also appeared on Millionaire in 2014 and 2015, is not the same person as J! contestant José Ruiz Jr.)

Not the greatest game for me on the multiple choice questions; my worst bit was missing the letters K, L, and M right in front of my face.
davey

Post by davey »

Some awfully easy questions on this episode, I thought. I feel like the Eleanor Roosevelt-Lorena Hickok thing has been standard American history for decades. (Of course, the contestant missed it...) Doyle was the only choice who "fittingly" would jump into an Agatha Christie mystery. (And no, Brad, Oscar Wilde wasn't "plausible for the time period" since he died in 1900...)
It was weird that Andrew LLoyd Webber was never identified as the composer of Cats, which is why he hated the movie (or at least thought it smart to say so when everyone else did). All 3 choices would have been better identified as musical composers. I don't think Sondheim ever produced a show in his life. For much of his career, Hal Prince was his producer. (And no, Brad, ALW created Cats but he didn't produce it originally...) Second thought: ALW's Really Useful Company was a co-producer, so I'll allow it as a technicality... :) But Cameron Mackintosh had a producer title and is usually credited with getting the show together. Still, odd to use producer in this clue...
LucarioSnooperVixey

Brad: All three were plausible for the time period.

Me: Oscar Wilde was 26 years dead in clue.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:38 am A couple of J! Archive bio pages to update after tonight's episode, since Barbara Noyes and Sharath Narayan were contestants. (I believe Jose Ruiz, who also appeared on Millionaire in 2014 and 2015, is not the same person as J! contestant José Ruiz Jr.)

Not the greatest game for me on the multiple choice questions; my worst bit was missing the letters K, L, and M right in front of my face.
Pages updated although I don't how things went for Barbara on FF.