FJs for the 3/27/23 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/27/23 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:49 pm

The name of this pungent gaseous compound is ultimately derived from the top god of the ancient Egyptians
47%
This public agency runs the USA's busiest bus terminal, opened in 1950 for commuters awed by its polished steel & stone
44%
In a periodical in 1807, he called New York City "Gotham, Gotham! most enlightened of cities"
63%
The success of this brand has its roots with a hydrotherapy pump its cofounder created for his son, who had arthritis
58%
Over 700 years after its traditional 1252 founding date, this port city became associated with a psychological response
92%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOWL $1000: This Hawaiian raw fish dish is often served in bowls over a bed of rice
51%
GEOMETRICAL GEOMETRY $1000: This northernmost spot of Alaska was named for Sir John, a proponent of Arctic exploration
50%
QUOTH THE TITLE $1600: The title of this "haunting" Noel Coward comedy comes from Shelley's "To a Skylark"
42%
Radon was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
18%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue with something associated with sulfur.
14%
I solved the Monday FJ! clue with the ammonia to Amon connection occurring to me first.
6%
I solved the Monday FJ! clue with the Amon to ammonia correction occurring to me first.
29%
MTA was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
11%
My response for the Tuesday FJ! clue had something added to Port Authority.
18%
My response for the Tuesday FJ! clue was just Port Authority.
17%
I have ridden on a New York City bus (of any company) and still missed the Tuesday FJ! clue.
11%
Waterpik was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
10%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue while trying to make a connection to Pavlov.
3%
On JeoparDAY March 30, I took the Anytime Test. (Whether for real or for fun)
24%
HEY, BIG SPENDER $800: If you're going to splurge for the Ferrari, get a GTO; the G & T stand for this Italian phrase, also a video game - I was correct with Gran Turismo.
60%
HEY, BIG SPENDER $800: If you're going to splurge for the Ferrari, get a GTO; the G & T stand for this Italian phrase, also a video game - I missed with Grand Theft.
1%

Total votes: 72

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/27/23 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHEMICAL NAMES

3/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this pungent gaseous compound is ultimately derived from the top god of the ancient Egyptians

3/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION USA

3/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This public agency runs the USA's busiest bus terminal, opened in 1950 for commuters awed by its polished steel & stone

3/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

3/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a periodical in 1807, he called New York City "Gotham, Gotham! most enlightened of cities"

3/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRAND NAMES

3/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The success of this brand has its roots with a hydrotherapy pump its cofounder created for his son, who had arthritis

3/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY HISTORY

3/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Over 700 years after its traditional 1252 founding date, this port city became associated with a psychological response

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
ammonia
the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
Washington Irving
Jacuzzi
Stockholm
The players were 4/14 (28.57%) with a 1-2-0-0-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have one the players got correct followed by two triple stumpers.

YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOWL $1000: This Hawaiian raw fish dish is often served in bowls over a bed of rice

GEOMETRICAL GEOMETRY $1000: This northernmost spot of Alaska was named for Sir John, a proponent of Arctic exploration

QUOTH THE TITLE $1600: The title of this "haunting" Noel Coward comedy comes from Shelley's "To a Skylark"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
poke
Point Barrow
Blithe Spirit
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/27/23 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MTA
Moscow thinking about Pavlov

Ammonia before Amon

Took Anytime Test for funsies

Gran Turismo
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - Amon-Ra -> ammonia
Tue - "Port Authority"

Did not take Anytime test; in the pool and I'm paranoid. :D

Gran Turismo
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

New York Transit Authority
Knew who they were going for on Wednesday's FJ but could not pull the name out - "you know, the Rip Van Winkle and Headless Horseman guy"

Took the test for fun
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :D :|

took a third option, had "Gran Torino"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

With "Gotham, Gotham", I got as far as "that guy who wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", then my brain fizzled out. Aging. ETA: I see RetiredDoc had the same symptom.

Rode a Gotham bus a few weeks ago, still thought the NYC transit authority was called the MTA.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

No guess Monday. I had Amun but couldn't connect that to Ammonia.
Never been to New York and it's not a strong subject for me. Fumbled and came up with New York Transit Authority as a guess.
Couldn't think of anything Thursday.

Didn't take the test, but had Gran Turismo.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I had Blithe Spirit on a paper flashcard back in the late 90s when I was prepping in earnest.

"Hail to thee blithe spirit
Bird thou never wert."

I still remember that. However, I missed Shelley as the author "To a Skylark" last month on BP Trivia. The things I know or don't know, I tell you...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I blanked on public agencies; I said the U.S. Mint just to say something.

I had previously misremembered Blithe Spirit as getting its title from Shakespeare, but being spotted Noel Coward was enough to set me right.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:58 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I blanked on public agencies; I said the U.S. Mint just to say something.

I had previously misremembered Blithe Spirit as getting its title from Shakespeare, but being spotted Noel Coward was enough to set me right.
Wouldn't that put the frowny face two to the left? Cause that's a miss on jacuzzi
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 pm
Rode a Gotham bus a few weeks ago, still thought the NYC transit authority was called the MTA.
It is.
I don't believe any NYC (MTA) buses go through Port Authority Bus Terminal. Buses to NJ, other states, Greyhound buses. NYC buses are out on the street. Buses that leave the Port Authority Bus Terminal immediately leave NYC. I think that's why it's a Terminal, not a Station.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :oops: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

As a NYer, I will eternally hate Tuesday's clue...All I could think of on Thursday was Brita...that's pretty embarrassing, too...
Said Barrow Point instead of Point Barrow...
For the pronunciation-minded among us, I noticed on Monday that Nicole said poky instead of pokay...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:28 pm Wouldn't that put the frowny face two to the left? Cause that's a miss on jacuzzi
Yes, thanks. I'm full of mistakes this week.
Leander

Post by Leander »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:30 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 pm
It is.
I don't believe any NYC (MTA) buses go through Port Authority Bus Terminal. Buses to NJ, other states, Greyhound buses. NYC buses are out on the street. Buses that leave the Port Authority Bus Terminal immediately leave NYC. I think that's why it's a Terminal, not a Station.
Basically, it’s a terminal for commuter bus lines to the other side of the Hudson River including NJ and parts of NY (Rockland County), plus long distance lines.

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Radon Monday just to say something, even though I knew it was odorless. No guess on Thursday.
Said Port Authority, but could have given the correct full name.
Did not take the test
Got GT
Last edited by Leander on Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
-----:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Went with the full name Tuesday because for all I knew, there's a Port Authority for every state, or every pair of states.

I don't think I got Stockholm Syndrome the first time it appeared as FJ, but no problem this time.

"Ben-Gay" sounded like it might have co-founders, but apparently it was named for a certain M. Bengue, and the hyphen was dashed in 1995. I'm not an adman, but maybe "Bengue" was deemed too close to "dengue", and "Ben-Gay" to "been gay"? Pretty sure I did get jacuzzi in LL, but I found this week's phrasing less helpful.

Grand Theft was the first thing to come to mind, but Gran Torino is the thing I might have rung in with.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Radon on Monday and MTA on Tuesday

Got Gran Turismo
I would prefer not to.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Amon --> ammonia.

Never got to Irving on Wednesday; got sidetracked trying to decide between Hawthorne and Cooperwith - with a very brief flirtation with Longfellow. I guess I have to count it as three wrong answers.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I've been to that bus terminal, once, for five minutes, 35 years ago. I remembered the name contained a word that had something to do with water, but I couldn't recall which word it was. I went through Atlantic, ferry, aqueduct, and Hudson, then got sidetracked with "the Hudson River Line" mentioned in Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind," which immediately became my new, intensely distracting, earworm. When I realized Hudson was a blind alley, I went back to other water words starting with harbor. I ran out of time before I got to port.