Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:52 pm The people have spoken: bring back morbeedo!
SYMBOLS: In math, it's a rotated V; in Jeopardy Fandom, it's a call to bring back a fan favorite
Spoiler
What is More Beedo!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I, for one, would rather see someone earn it than be a Cinderella.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm I, for one, would rather see someone earn it than be a Cinderella.
The hosts (and Michael, of course) think surviving the gauntlet of SCC to become a J! champ and then the CWC to win more games is a legitimate path to the ToC. They may be right or we could get a repeat of what happened to the first SCC winners in the ToC.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm I, for one, would rather see someone earn it than be a Cinderella.
I’ll wear the dress, tiara, and glass slipper if it means winning the whole shebang.
Golf

Post by Golf »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:41 am
I’ll wear the dress, tiara, and glass slipper if it means winning the whole shebang.
Hell, I'd wear that if it meant just being a contestant!
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:11 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:41 am
Hell, I'd wear that if it meant just being a contestant!
...help control the pet population — have your pets spayed or neutered.

This is all in fun, but if it goes down that path we should at least honor Bob Barker's quest.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/10/23 - "What is the Countdown to Jeopardy! Masters" (27:37)

Sarah and Buzzy host

A promo for Masters has aired and first ep. is May 8th on ABC then Hulu. The thought of awarding a blue jacket (golf's Masters does green) was nixed and there will be a trophy. With permission from Jean and family it will be the Trebek Trophy, but not with Alex's likeness and not a "golden mustache". Six bands were made for the trophy to be ready for whoever won.

Masters winner gets $500,000 plus $100,000 will be donated to charity.

Buzzy and Sarah talked more about contestant interviews as Buzzy's opinion from last week's podcast did generate comments. Buzzy is not saying eliminate that portion, he just didn't care for them as a contestant and they were not his favorite part when hosting the ToC.

Sarah had a chance to do contestant chats during rehearsal when Jimmy was part of a wedding in Mexico. Sarah enjoyed that experience since she has had lots of practice with J! contestants after winning and with her previous news jobs.

7:20 the 4/3/23 week of games:
Spoiler
Buzzy said he is doing a podcast episode of his This is Jeopardy! podcast that will focus on this week of games. Buzzy says to save this week's games on DVR to revisit when that podcast ep. airs.

The hosts mentioned Crystal's reaction to finding DD and saying she would throw up and how Ken handled it.

Contestant Sharon Stone has heard all the jokes about her name many times and when listening to last week's podcast she appreciated how Buzzy threw in some different references and Sarah read her message to the podcast hosts.

Amanda's chat about watching Best Picture winners gave Buzzy a chance to plug the special Oscars trivia night at O'Brien's the Wed. before the Oscars each year.

Brian when he won felt 100 different emotions and Sarah thinks he may be up for Best Celebration at J! Honors in the fall.

Brian is a long-time game show fan and J! has always been his favorite.

When Ken was doing audience Q&A during a break someone asked him what he would be doing now if he had not won on J!. Writing Java, mildly unhappy and bingeing Atlanta was his answer.

Brian ran the TWO SHOES category and that reminded the hosts to ask Michael about the bonus for running a category the next time he is on the podcast.

Rachel mentioned studying kid level reference books for J! appearance like James did.

Sarah spent a little bit of time to talk about Brian's roller coaster week with winning and losing on J! along with all of the social media reaction to Brian's run. The hosts made sure to point out Brian's tweet about donating some of his winnings to the Anti-Defamation League and the hosts support and understand his decision to step away from social for a time.

The podcast had to have been taped today since Sarah mentioned SNL poking fun at Brian and Brian's reaction to it as at least great to make in on SNL. Sarah, of course, also mentioned the CWC (and possible ToC) for Brian.
Questions 21:30 Jacoby asked about celebrity clues. It can be the writers who have an idea, it can be National Geographic or Hulu who have something to promote. It can be just one clue or an entire category. The ideas can come from Sarah, other producers or just a famous huge fan of J! with it being on their bucket list to deliver a clue(s).

The crew is small with handers for camera, sound, lighting and prompter. If it's L.A. or studio that's one crew. If it's in NY that could be a different crew. It only takes 15-30 minutes to do it and the readers in SAG-AFTRA do get paid the typical rate.

Owen asks about Mayim's pin. Mayim received it as a gift at age 16 and it is a gold safety pin with 4 charms of:
tiny hand and tiny eyeball to ward off evil
Jewish star
Hebrew word for "life", "chai" which is connected to 18.

Next Week: The 4/10 week of games
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A golden mustache would have been funny.

The winner of the Fleming-era ToCs got the "Griffin Award" as their trophy, but it wasn't a custom thing.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:52 pm 4/10/23 - "What is the Countdown to Jeopardy! Masters" (27:37)

Sarah and Buzzy host

A promo for Masters has aired and first ep. is May 8th on ABC then Hulu. The thought of awarding a blue jacket (golf's Masters does green) was nixed and there will be a trophy. With permission from Jean and family it will be the Trebek Trophy, but not with Alex's likeness and not a "golden mustache". Six bands were made for the trophy to be ready for whoever won.

Masters winner gets $500,000 plus $100,000 will be donated to charity.
I'll be honest: When I finished this episode, I was left feeling like I wanted more information about Masters.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

$500,000 :o :o
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Did the podcast mention Corina leaving?
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:11 pm Did the podcast mention Corina leaving?
No; that only became known widely earlier this evening when it was posted on r/Jeopardy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:25 pm $500,000 :o :o
Fight through the SCT and TOC and you can be in it next year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:21 pm
Getting through the SCC "only" gets you to the CWC and not directly to the ToC is my understanding.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:25 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:21 pm
Getting through the SCC "only" gets you to the CWC and not directly to the ToC is my understanding.
Right. At this point I’d be thrilled just to go back and play more Jeopardy! One game at a time, one clue at a time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/17/23 "What is a Runaway Champion?" (23:38)

Buzzy & Sarah host

While there is no official J! study guide the hosts did plug David Maybury's "The Call": https://www.buzzerblog.com/thecall/

Many other J! alums have helped on it and it is a "living document".

Buzzy prepared for his appearance with a clicker pen from his audition and still does not have a TIVo type device and relied on other for recording the show. Buzzy trained at the gym, by being quizzed and doing reaction time drills like the NFL uses.

New promos are out for the Masters and there are some set changes as well as main titles. When the mega board is shown there is an Easter egg of something each of the six players faced when they were on previously.

James said the poster looks like he is a super villain to take on the five from the previous ToC.

The new music for the Masters will premiere on the podcast first before May 8.

6:20 the 4/10 week of games beep-boop though with another detour.
While it won't be the Clue Crew there is hope to have Ken do remote clues like Alex did. Ken in answering audience question about Clue Crew said it used to be plucky young people in the Scooby Doo van.

That reminded Sarah of the Brain Bus. One guy drove it ahead ot time to upcoming sites and people would ask him if Alex was inside such as at gas station stops.

The J! crew would get on the bus at the hotel and drive up as if they had been on the bus for the full trip.

The Brain Bus was in some parades and sometimes staffer Grant Loud would ride in passenger seat waving. There was a similarity to Alex such that some viewers might have thought they saw Alex but they did not.

Buzzy's upcoming "This is Jeopardy!" podcast will do a deep dive into the Clue Crew.

4/10 week of games for real:
Spoiler
There were triple stumpers, but no incorrect responses in the DJ! Round of the 4/10 game. Sarah said Spiros was very nice for the QUANTUM SCIENCE category.

Buzzy said to study the Nobel Prizes for appearing on J! and especially the Peace category.

Sarah recalled the Clue Crew going to Soweto that was used in this show: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4184 and that they shot a clue similar to the 4/11 FJ! clue.

When Ken was watching his games at home he would sometimes not know a clue, but then experience himself getting it on the show. Buzzy had the same thing happen to him.

Buzzy wonders about Ben's pub quiz story mentioning Aaron Rodgers and how early in the QB's career was he doing that in Green Bay. Figures he was backup behind Favre then so not as famous.

Ben getting the DJ30 clue right on 4/12 was like a "Sliding Door" moment for Sarah as he needed that last clue runaway to win the match with Kat having the sole solve on the FJ! clue.

Buzzy shared Ben's tip about eating enough on tape day.

Ben was unable to travel was the explanation for Ben's absence in the 4/17 game.
18:05 Questions Ian wants clarification about taking the Anytime Test on JeoparDAY! Think of the 3/30 test as a bonus test for anyone, but the one year range for taking the test is from original date. It's once a year, not including the 3/30 one.

Doug asks about the highlight videos on YouTube. It's no longer five individual ones per week and now it's 1 that summarizes the week due to some limitations on YouTube.

For the Masters, ToC, SCC and CWC there will be individual game highlight videos shared.

Next Week: The 4/17 week of games.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I forgot to post last week 'countdown to masters' I have this in my notes for the whole week waiting to edit due to length oops. buzzy next time warning about about keeping episodes on the DVR. Do it the week before. I am a dvr saver (I literally got the dvr after a wheel of fortune incident past June.) but delete them after watching (50 ep limit though I "bulk" record episodes including Jeopardy and wheel of fortune as 1 slot with the "30 minute after" extender. a idea I got after reading a tape trading page referring to a whole Saturday morning slot on one tape.) I think I might have one still there but yeah that is definitely a week before warning. over this past week I have been thinking maybe having buzzy on this one and the producer on the other one might be good. (hear me out) The reason is if you saw my comment on his behaviour you would see his flaws on the current one but if he is commenting on past stuff. (though it seems they might not be all be past stuff if Buzzy's episode reveal was any indication.) he cannot say badly phrased stuff that affects current things if he is talking about jeopardy history. (he might find a way but at least in mitigates it.) We change our family room furniture about 1 every 10 years (I still missed that orange couch we had in my childhood though.) so not too familiar about IKEA furniture. The thing about Ken alternate universe is hilarious but likely true, did we not say in a thread a little bit ago that he almost failed his first game.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

it is long so I made a separate post also from last week though I thought he was going to talk to the producer this week but anyhow probably for the best. last weeks comment finally gave a excuse for me to write that segment about the one in the category reward I have saved waiting for a account. (when they were figuring out spam control) here we go. they did this already, and it seems to be successful during Covid's height (before I knew message boards existed). I watched the episodes of the original (possibly prime time) 1970s) Jeopardy that was floating around the Internet (I think they were around 6 episodes.) and one use this concept and The way they did this was the host the mentioned a prize for being the first want to run a category in a row completely. (I think it was a trip) I am not going to mention it personally to him cause I am trying not to have the shows get removed by the owner. but I was not even born yet so a regular person can run into it but since he is talking about looking at the original pilot 1 minute before this giving his comments (this area of the review was for a different episode but he still did say it.) maybe he might look into this one as well as vintage Jeopardy is on the radar. The fact that this thing has been going on for over 6 months and no one has figured out about this is weird all on its own. but the fact is it was a successful idea at the end of the day. it also was not a idea of the care about the dude's head. this means he does not need to think up some thing that has been thought up or how it would work because it already has been tested on how it would work.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/24/23 "What are 3 New Jeopardy! Contestants?" (27:38)

Sarah and Buzzy host.
Buzzy plugs his podcast "This is Jeopardy!" starting this Wednesday.

2:54 - the 4/17 week of games:
Spoiler
Returning champ Ben could not travel so 3 new players.

It was a conscious choice by J! to not rob Ben of being J! champ over the weekend, so that is why he was part of the short promo at the end of 4/14 showing him returning on Monday the 17th.

Toni was picked for champ's podium by random draw.

Ben will be back and he was booked for return before anyone knew who other players in the day's pool would be and the same was with Zach Newkirk booked to return before anyone knew Brian Chang would be 7x (Sarah was wrong with 8-time) champ.

The local news in Baltimore covered Daniel's watch party.

Sarah remembers she and Sofia did Clue Crew to stomp on grapes as well as chocolates on conveyor belt at Orange County Fair. Some of the chocolates were fake.

Nat Geo approached J! to do the Elephant category and there had been hope to have James Cameron present the clues but the timing did not work out.

Buzzy liked Deb's fashion style. Sarah wrote Ken's opening (she writes all of them) to include wine words for Deb winning such as "stomp" and "vintage". Ken can say no and is not forced to use Sarah's script.

Buzzy was supportive of Devin's big DD wagers and thinks the phrasing of the Dickinson FJ! clue may aided in tripping up the players.

Devin's turtleneck on Thursday got him compared to Chris Evans in Knives Out.

Emma's saying "Bring it" to end a round reminded the host that the second set of Masters is a day from being taped.

The count of 1x champs was said to be 22 for the upcoming CWC and it took Emma to break the string of 1x champs.

During a taping break Ken was asked if he plays bar trivia. He does sometimes and it's a can't win proposition whether winning or not winning. The hosts support some kind of bar trivia network to get contestants on J! from that avenue.
20:45 Questions - Stephen asks how long to tape an episode and how to tape 5 eps. in a day.

One game usually takes the the same amount of time it takes to watch it. The schedule is 3 games in the morning set and 2 more in the afternoon set. When all goes well 1st taping begins at 11:15 and the day (including the lunch break) is over by 4:30. It's not like a sitcom that can take hours just to get one half hour show.

A user on Reddit aks if the DJ! Round Daily Doubles can both be in same category? No, never, it won't happen. It would not be fair to do that if someone really smart in a category.

Sarah & Buzzy get frustrated when DD2 is played and a player selects from same category where it was found. Go hunting even if $5 will be the bet.

Sarah & Buzzy both get their podcasts on Spotify.

Buzzy will do AMA on Reddit on this Wed. the 26th at 11 a.m. PT ahead of the new podcast.

Next week: 4/24 week of games
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 pm A user on Reddit aks if the DJ! Round Daily Doubles can both be in same category? No, never, it won't happen. It would not be fair to do that if someone really smart in a category.
Anybody else dislike this rationale? Everything is somewhat randomized already from the players who face each other to the categories those players face on the board. So by this statement, if there's a DD in a chemistry category and a chemistry prof is a contestant, then it's not fair. Or even if there's a chemistry category at all.

Fair isn't the right word in my opinion, it would be bad or good luck. In other words, random.

I've got no issue with DD's not found in the same category, but it would also be interesting if the placement were truly randomized. Would actually make the top down strategy viable as DD's found in the first row are worth more than those found in the bottom row.

Thanks as always for the summary.