Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, August 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote: unless you are a trained professional like Stefan.
Professional troll feeder?
Pretty sure I'm just a troll in this case, looking for summer hiatus entertainment.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Constance McCashin was a good Pyramid and SUper Password player in the 80s, but I think she came off bitter in her post-Knot's Landing game show appearances after she was written off the show. Still fun to watch, though, and a better player than we've mostly seen with celebs on game shows in recent years.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:Constance McCashin was a good Pyramid and SUper Password player in the 80s, but I think she came off bitter in her post-Knot's Landing game show appearances after she was written off the show. Still fun to watch, though, and a better player than we've mostly seen with celebs on game shows in recent years.
Perhaps she should be on Celeb J!. And wind up losing by an amount less than a reversed clue against her.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Pretty sure I'm just a troll in this case, looking for summer hiatus entertainment.
Well I for one have been very entertained, so please do carry on!

And in other news...
boson wrote:I missed the show on Friday. Good thing, or you would have had me complaining that there should never be questions on the length of a coastline interspersed with the interminable argument between seaborgium and mbclev.

Instead, I come late to the party and just get to insert my standard links about why this type of question is misleading and useless:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox
http://users.math.yale.edu/~bbm3/web_pd ... ritain.pdf
I remembered the similar discussion about coastline lengths when there was an FJ asking, I believe, which of the 13 colonies had the longest coastline, so I wondered if there would be any objections to this clue. It seems like even if there is debate over how to accurately measure coastline, that in this case, Canada is so far and away the country with the most that it would have to still be #1 no matter how you measured it. It is certainly an interesting subject, and on this page, the lists are given from two sources, the CIA World Fact Book and the World Resource Institute, and the 2 lists differ by an incredible amount, with the United States having one of the biggest disparities, yet Canada is still in first place by a sizable margin. Are there any geography experts out there who have any theories to explain how those two lists can possibly be so different, with Canada shown with either 202,000 or 265,000 km of coastline, and the U.S. with either 19,000 or 133,000 km?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
boson wrote:I missed the show on Friday. Good thing, or you would have had me complaining that there should never be questions on the length of a coastline interspersed with the interminable argument between seaborgium and mbclev.

Instead, I come late to the party and just get to insert my standard links about why this type of question is misleading and useless:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox
http://users.math.yale.edu/~bbm3/web_pd ... ritain.pdf
I remembered the similar discussion about coastline lengths when there was an FJ asking, I believe, which of the 13 colonies had the longest coastline, so I wondered if there would be any objections to this clue. It seems like even if there is debate over how to accurately measure coastline, that in this case, Canada is so far and away the country with the most that it would have to still be #1 no matter how you measured it. It is certainly an interesting subject, and on this page, the lists are given from two sources, the CIA World Fact Book and the World Resource Institute, and the 2 lists differ by an incredible amount, with the United States having one of the biggest disparities, yet Canada is still in first place by a sizable margin. Are there any geography experts out there who have any theories to explain how those two lists can possibly be so different, with Canada shown with either 202,000 or 265,000 km of coastline, and the U.S. with either 19,000 or 133,000 km?
Easy, you answered it yourself, the coastline paradox. That, and it seems that the CIA does tend to fudge numbers a bit to give the US the best deal possible, size-wise - it no doubt used the best possible measurement for the US, and other measurements for the other countries.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012