Monday, April 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, April 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:17 pm The Beatles clues were really hard to process quickly, and I am pretty familiar with all of them. I pre-called "Something" and couldn't run the lyrics fast enough to get any others.
I was able to get four of them, but more than one involved some desperate mental scrambling that probably wouldn't have been as successful under the lights. The one I missed was "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window," not because I couldn't sing along with the lyrics they provided and go forward. I just couldn't backtrack to where those lyrics start out. I even paused the program for 5 to 8 seconds before shrugging and letting Ken supply the correct response.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:02 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:17 pm The Beatles clues were really hard to process quickly, and I am pretty familiar with all of them. I pre-called "Something" and couldn't run the lyrics fast enough to get any others.
I was able to get four of them, but more than one involved some desperate mental scrambling that probably wouldn't have been as successful under the lights. The one I missed was "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window," not because I couldn't sing along with the lyrics they provided and go forward. I just couldn't backtrack to where those lyrics start out. I even paused the program for 5 to 8 seconds before shrugging and letting Ken supply the correct response.
That one's a little harder because it's part of the side-2 long medley. Where does each "song" really start and where does it really end? Of course, it helps if you misspent your youth staring at album backs and liner notes of music made before your time.

Some bonus clues in that category:

BEATLES "S"ONGS $400: "I know that she's no peasant"

BEATLES "S"ONGS $800: "Father snores as his wife gets into her dressing gown"

BEATLES "S"ONGS $1200: "One sunny day, the world was waiting for a lover"

BEATLES "S"ONGS $1600: "And it's making me feel like my trousers are torn"

BEATLES "S"ONGS $2000: "Quando para mucho mi amore de felice corazon"
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:32 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:45 pm
*Despite my birth certificate saying that I was born in Ohio but a resident of Albuquerque, I've still never been to Albuquerque.
I feel like I’m missing something. You are a resident of a city you have never been to?
I think she was born at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio but her mother was legally domiciled in albuquerque.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Another point I meant to make in my original post but I forgot to. Suppose Salt Lake City had been the correct answer. Would Emma's response of "Salt Lake Ci" have been good enough? I would argue that it wouldn't under the precedent that "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts" wasn't enough.

Interestingly, in both of these instances, an abbreviation that was shorter than what the contestant got out would have been arguable. If the contestant who was unable to write down the complete title of the album had simply written "sergeant pepper," that might have been acceptable as a well-known shorthand for the album. Similarly, if Emma had written merely "Salt Lake" and not started to write city, that also would probably have been acceptable, as most people in that part of the country refer to the capital of Utah as "Salt Lake."
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:32 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:45 pm
*Despite my birth certificate saying that I was born in Ohio but a resident of Albuquerque, I've still never been to Albuquerque.
I feel like I’m missing something. You are a resident of a city you have never been to?
I've got a situation like that ever since they decided that a "continent" wasn't just "all the land you could walk to without your hat floating away" and that places like Cuba were part of North America; continental shelves and tectonic plates were what mattered. I'm a natural born citizen of California and the US but I was born and lived the first ten years of my life not on the North American continent.

(Was born not far from Sony Pictures Studios in Glendale and spent my childhood in Newhall, now part of Santa Clarita. Both places are west of the San Andreas fault.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

da Doctah wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:56 pmI'm a natural born citizen of California and the US but I was born and lived the first ten years of my life not on the North American continent.

(Was born not far from Sony Pictures Studios in Glendale and spent my childhood in Newhall, now part of Santa Clarita. Both places are west of the San Andreas fault.)
That is so cool! I never noticed that before. I too am a native of the Pacific plate and, until maybe a year ago, had lived the majority of my life geologically outside North America.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:18 pm
StevenH wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:54 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:08 pm Is anyone else shocked that Denver is No. 3?
I was shocked when I found out that it was not #1, back when there was a question on WWTBAM that I think was just "What U.S. state capital sits at the highest elevation?" If I remember correctly Denver was a choice, the contestant guessed it, but the answer turned out to be Santa Fe.

I was only able to get to Santa Fe on this clue because I remembered that WWTBAM question. I guessed Boise for the other city.
I got Santa Fe because it was the only capital more or less due south of Denver. For the other capital, I guessed Olympia. Not as good a guess as Boise, north-south wise or elevation-wise.
Unfortunately Olympia is as bad a guess as Boston from the elevation aspect. It's on Puget Sound, thus at sea level.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:12 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:18 pm
StevenH wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:54 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:08 pm Is anyone else shocked that Denver is No. 3?
I was shocked when I found out that it was not #1, back when there was a question on WWTBAM that I think was just "What U.S. state capital sits at the highest elevation?" If I remember correctly Denver was a choice, the contestant guessed it, but the answer turned out to be Santa Fe.

I was only able to get to Santa Fe on this clue because I remembered that WWTBAM question. I guessed Boise for the other city.
I got Santa Fe because it was the only capital more or less due south of Denver. For the other capital, I guessed Olympia. Not as good a guess as Boise, north-south wise or elevation-wise.
Unfortunately Olympia is as bad a guess as Boston from the elevation aspect. It's on Puget Sound, thus at sea level.
Actually, Olympia is 95 feet. Sacramento is only 30. Tallahassee is a whopping 230.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:43 am Albany, Boston and Denver are all pretty near to the front alphabetically, though I grant it would be a funny road with Denver in the middle
I had a similar thought, that maybe she misread elevation in the clue and got alphabetization in her head and was searching for early alphabet capitals, that's the only plausible explanation I could come up with for why someone would write two eastern cities for this clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Was not getting the $1000 clue in Beatles Songs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:17 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:20 pm a lot of loaded stuff in the FJ clue. Only tough part would be to accidentally write down ABQ as the capital instead of Santa Fe.
There are TWO tough parts of this ilk. I re-read the clue to insure that Denver was BETWEEN them, then a quick mental smell check (using I-44 which was partly built from my Grandfather's limestone quarry)that odd numbered Interstates run north/south. I then proudly chose Santa Fe, and Casper, the capital of Wyoming. :oops:
If you get lost in the wrong neighborhood off I-25 you might run into a certain Chief Master Sergeant who certainly must have nailed this FJ.
The Beatles clues were really hard to process quickly, and I am pretty familiar with all of them. I pre-called "Something" and couldn't run the lyrics fast enough to get any others.

eta- Oxford commas. Why? No idea.
true for some people, running it on I-70 (W-E) would have exhausted the whole timer. East of Denver for at least 100 miles looks like Denver International Airport. Also, not many would think of New Mexico having high altitude. I believe once north of Boulder, one would see signs for FOrt COllins/Cheyenne, but of course not many would recall that.

Casper does have "all the escalators" in the state (2)!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:12 pm Another point I meant to make in my original post but I forgot to. Suppose Salt Lake City had been the correct answer. Would Emma's response of "Salt Lake Ci" have been good enough? I would argue that it wouldn't under the precedent that "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts" wasn't enough.

Interestingly, in both of these instances, an abbreviation that was shorter than what the contestant got out would have been arguable. If the contestant who was unable to write down the complete title of the album had simply written "sergeant pepper," that might have been acceptable as a well-known shorthand for the album. Similarly, if Emma had written merely "Salt Lake" and not started to write city, that also would probably have been acceptable, as most people in that part of the country refer to the capital of Utah as "Salt Lake."
Anyone have an opinion about salt lake ci?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:59 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:12 pm Another point I meant to make in my original post but I forgot to. Suppose Salt Lake City had been the correct answer. Would Emma's response of "Salt Lake Ci" have been good enough? I would argue that it wouldn't under the precedent that "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts" wasn't enough.

I say it's not acceptable, unless there's some indication by some authoritative group of those two letters as an abbreviation of "city." (It's the "Library of Congr" rule.)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:59 am

I had to wonder if SLC, UT would have been acceptable.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:17 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:20 pm a lot of loaded stuff in the FJ clue. Only tough part would be to accidentally write down ABQ as the capital instead of Santa Fe.
There are TWO tough parts of this ilk. I re-read the clue to insure that Denver was BETWEEN them, then a quick mental smell check (using I-44 which was partly built from my Grandfather's limestone quarry)that odd numbered Interstates run north/south. I then proudly chose Santa Fe, and Casper, the capital of Wyoming. :oops:
If you get lost in the wrong neighborhood off I-25 you might run into a certain Chief Master Sergeant who certainly must have nailed this FJ.
The Beatles clues were really hard to process quickly, and I am pretty familiar with all of them. I pre-called "Something" and couldn't run the lyrics fast enough to get any others.

eta- Oxford commas. Why? No idea.
... and any boarders who do wish to wander into the wrong neighborhood would be in line for a free guided tour of FoCo NoCo, as was offered a certain pole vaulter. Who turned it down. Oh, well.

Hmm.... would making it "Oh, and well" send the comma to Oxford?

P.S. Did get it right, but had to grin at my wife who very quickly responded "Cheyenne and Albuquerque, of course."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.