Tuesday, May 9, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by danspartan »

Great run to close DJ. Very easy to transpose numbers and similar errors when doing mental math. Sounds like you were a little out body in the moment. When I have to occasionally do public speaking I almost always slip into an automatic mode and have to ask someone if I even made sense.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I guess the questions were more geared toward my wheelhouse in Tuesday's game...but I got 37R (2 W), above my normal average.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I didn't see the game--did Mayim acknowledge that Hannah's response (Leigh) was the correct response's mother?
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

I smiled when the random picks of the clue boards resulted in "Carnegie" being the correct response in a Masters game and a regular game aired on the same day.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nserven wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:24 am I didn't see the game--did Mayim acknowledge that Hannah's response (Leigh) was the correct response's mother?
No.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Augh. I think that's about all I can say. Good enough to beat a darn good champ.

Can you give any glimpses about what it was like to have Mayim hosting at this point? Are the tapings going smoothly?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

got the FJ because i've seen the first and this most recent lousy movie.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Peachbox, just wanted to put up a howl of sympathy pain at the FJ result. You played a good game, fought well.

Aaaaauuugggghhhhhhh! :|
Pending...
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:14 am
nserven wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:24 am I didn't see the game--did Mayim acknowledge that Hannah's response (Leigh) was the correct response's mother?
No.
I wonder if Hannah blanked on the right name? It's puzzling that she didn't take the next step to get to Jamie....
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

davey wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:13 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:14 am
No.
I wonder if Hannah blanked on the right name? It's puzzling that she didn't take the next step to get to Jamie....
To be fair, Jennifer Jason Leigh is also an actress who also started around the same general time...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I spent the first portion of the Think music trying to remember who played Adrian in the Rocky series. I came up with Talia Shire fairly quickly but was sure she wasn't who I was trying to think of. And then things just came together after that [edit: of course I knew Adrian was not named Laurie, for example] and I realized Jamie Lee Curtis was the way to go.

There is something to be said for not bothering with fine-tuning your wagering math on certain occasions. The way I see it, there are three types of occasions, and two of them don't need precise math: bet it all, bet nothing, and cover (or maintain a lock over) the person trailing you, and you just have to determine what kind of occasion you're in and bet accordingly.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat May 13, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

idearat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:12 am I smiled when the random picks of the clue boards resulted in "Carnegie" being the correct response in a Masters game and a regular game aired on the same day.
I think Elvis Costello got name-dropped twice in one night, too.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

How ironic that Hannah put Leigh for Final Jeopardy, considering Jamie Lee Curtis is Janet Leigh’s daughter. I’m sure Ken would’ve pointed this out if he was hosting.

This took a moment. I went from not having a clue to having a thought about Halloween being in 1978 and a new Halloween movie recently coming out.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Wasn't this Monday's game?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I'm so sorry, Peachbox! Based on the size of your wager and your longtime presence on the J! board, I knew it had to be a math error and not faulty strategy. I can only imagine how you felt after the game, and my heart goes out to you.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Echoing what cinemaniax said: as soon as I saw your wager, I said to my wife “Oh, no, she made a math error!” I hoped against hope that it wouldn’t come back to bite you, but it did. My most heartfelt sympathies. I hope you get your shot at the SCT.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Woof wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:06 pmEchoing what cinemaniax said: as soon as I saw your wager, I said to my wife “Oh, no, she made a math error!” I hoped against hope that it wouldn’t come back to bite you, but it did. My most heartfelt sympathies. I hope you get your shot at the SCT.
I'm afraid I can't agree. In a crush game (which this was), there's really no reason to hold anything back. It was both a math error and a strategic error. --Bob
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bob78164 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:04 am
Woof wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:06 pmEchoing what cinemaniax said: as soon as I saw your wager, I said to my wife “Oh, no, she made a math error!” I hoped against hope that it wouldn’t come back to bite you, but it did. My most heartfelt sympathies. I hope you get your shot at the SCT.
I'm afraid I can't agree. In a crush game (which this was), there's really no reason to hold anything back. It was both a math error and a strategic error. --Bob
But what if you want to maximize your chance of getting second place instead of third if you can't win? Admittedly you do run the risk of either making a math error or not taking advantage of a bad wager by the leader, and missing out on the ultimate goal of a win. But $2000 is still better than $1000.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

StevenH wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:21 am
Bob78164 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:04 am
But what if you want to maximize your chance of getting second place instead of third if you can't win? Admittedly you do run the risk of either making a math error or not taking advantage of a bad wager by the leader, and missing out on the ultimate goal of a win. But $2000 is still better than $1000.
I did the math on a similar scenario recently and posted it to the relevant thread. The possibility of winning five figures(and then perhaps much more) far outweighs the extra grand and you should always give yourself the highest possible chance for the win. In this case that means wagering everything.