Masters Tuesday, May 9, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Masters Tuesday, May 9, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Missing Sgt. Schultz? The three of them are dead to me.

John Banner played a somewhat similar character in 36 Hours with James Garner (another recent miss that cut me to the quick).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:21 am
Ken's quip about the gentlemen even knowing Reese's coffee order was funny.
After the COFFEE category, my wife was inordinately proud of herself for suggesting a revision to one of the clues:

Clue: Witherspoon

Response:
Spoiler
How does Reese mix her latte?
She says I'm just disgruntled because she said it before I did. May have a point, I suppose.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

I’m never sure where to look for archives of non- regular J! games. Are they going to be archived?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 am I’m never sure where to look for archives of non- regular J! games. Are they going to be archived?
Click on the “all seasons” link and you will see the Masters tournament listed.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:31 am
brick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 am I’m never sure where to look for archives of non- regular J! games. Are they going to be archived?
Click on the “all seasons” link and you will see the Masters tournament listed.
Thank you!
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

oops I mistakenly post May 8 to May 9 (I did not know that there was one before this until I checked the date of the game I was using for the question summary on j board for the actual May 9 post.) anyhow I switch them back up using the editing feature. (sorry it was just little wonky to have them by date when I had them labelled by episode (like episode 1, episode 2. That is the only reason I made such a foolish mistake.)

on to game 2 I am going to talk about players later but I don't wanna say that James is acting a little more proper and subdued than last episode (something I find good in this case). I love the museum category in the first game, unusual museums were cool. I watched Armageddon this month and I did not notice that song in it. in game 2, Space pictures are beautiful in general. The other masters was a funny joke I think they could have chosen their questions better. (it just was not something that was easy to follow along even if you watched the golf masters, in which I follow the final day and post about it in the g.r forum undo the same username.) probably because majority of them are from before the Mets won last World Series. (in which Sam Buttrey apparently went.) (sorry too easy and seemed slightly better than saying before this century.) it not a problem to have a few vintage answers but it should not be three out of five (unless the category is 'masters throughout time' or something). definitely since the first 2 just wore about events. (I think the prayer thing should have been a more 800 clue.)

in terms of players personally along with personal game play. this game had some with redeeming qualities. I did not understand the shoe thing. I love imagining him asking the Jeopardy produces to change the daily doubles rules for him. definitely at the end (they have done it for a final jeopardy in the original version for a Best tournament in what I think was 'the 2000 Game' on the top of my head so I guess it is possible.) The hesitation of Matt's face to then get it right and then get the telescope question right. which was the sword from the stone he needed to vanquish James. to then get a high-five before final that was gold and after Final to finally know where that quote they keep using in the commercial about 'his Heart letting out'. it was great to know the context was definitely true (since we know commercials in general a lot of times put things out of context). Ken's comment the coffee order being a subject for a clue in the first place was a nice touch. lampshading in the strangeness of the question without being rude.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I would have to say it took a while for some of the games to get archived which they kind of warned us that the amount was overabundance and they were not going to see them all at once. (I myself thought i thought i either misscounted or if I saw it in the regular Jeopardy instead of masters of that day when I was actually going to show someone one of the questions.) but they seem to be all they are now. just another reminder of how thankful we have to be that they go through all these many games to put them up here for us to view them.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:32 am Mattea is my least favorite of the tournament, but at least she knew how to wager.
Not giving you the benefit of the doubt on your formatting choice. They.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:15 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:00 pm What was the significance of that? In-joke?
Do dish, somebody.
I keep meaning to post this, but last week I did the simple trick of Googling and it's a Carl Weathers line from Arrested Development.

brick

Post by brick »

Game Girl wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:01 am
I would have to say it took a while for some of the games to get archived which they kind of warned us that the amount was overabundance and they were not going to see them all at once. (I myself thought i thought i either misscounted or if I saw it in the regular Jeopardy instead of masters of that day when I was actually going to show someone one of the questions.) but they seem to be all they are now. just another reminder of how thankful we have to be that they go through all these many games to put them up here for us to view them.
The Archivists are fantastic and it’s impossible for us to show them enough gratitude.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:09 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:15 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:00 pm What was the significance of that? In-joke?
Do dish, somebody.
I keep meaning to post this, but last week I did the simple trick of Googling and it's a Carl Weathers line from Arrested Development.
Spoiler
🍲 Never would've figured it out myself!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well, Opus bumped the last one, I'll bump this one! :lol:

The timing was funny on this as 'The Anatomy Lesson...' makes an appearance in Curse of Frankenstein so it was very fresh in my mind. Except that title is just too long to actually stick in my brain. Would've been better for my pride had I not seen Curse
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:48 pm I think it's tragic that the Museum of Broken Relationships isn't in Split, Croatia.
:lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

GAME 1

Agree with @squarekara: Sam is the best. I want to live next door to him and just hang out. If Kara wants to get the house across the street, even better.

Sam knew Sergeant Schultz and just had a junior moment (since he insists he's young) and said Colonel Klink. The other two were too young, I guess, to pick up an easy rebound.

Pre-called Stieg Larsson off the category just to prime the pump. Laughed in disbelief as the clue appeared. Mrs. Penguin and I have read the three books (in translation) at least twice, seen the Swedish-language miniseries (not the shorter theatrical releases) twice, and the Fincher-directed English-language movie of the first book.

GAME 2

@AFRET CMS tell your wife :lol: regarding her Witherspoon clue. I don't think it's possible to be "inordinately" proud of a joke like that. She's welcome to move in on the street with Sam and Kara and me. Ok, you can come along too. :D

I got Death of Marat because it was a DD. I wouldn't have been quick OR confident enough to ring in.

Too bad we didn't have Contestant Sam playing the FJ about President Sam and Uncle Sam. I joined James and Matt in guessing Nicaragua. I did consider Haiti, but like James I crossed it out in favor of the wrong response. I think Sam reminded me of Somoza which I had a vague recollection had sometimes been spelled Samoza back in the day. Some quick research has failed to confirm this recollection, but I will continue to believe it until someone posts proof that it never happened.

If there's a poll box that says I got Andre He's stew joke/reference without assistance, I'll be checking that. Hilarious. There's room on our Jeopardy! Street housing project for him too.

I think Matt's wager made sense given the circumstances. James was obviously going to go all-in and was likely to win the inevitable buzzer race if Matt did the same. His best bet was to hope James missed FJ and meanwhile to guarantee himself a point if that didn't happen.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:31 pm @AFRET CMS tell your wife :lol: regarding her Witherspoon clue. I don't think it's possible to be "inordinately" proud of a joke like that. She's welcome to move in on the street with Sam and Kara and me. Ok, you can come along too. :D