New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:06 pm Courtesy TuneIn I added 1991-05-02: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7936

Kay Kipling vs. Danna Schoenberg vs. Jeff Raines

Danna with 2 N's rhyming with Hannah

A better Audio DD in this game.
I think autocorrect got you on DJ8. Byrd was a lot of things, but temporary wasn’t one of them.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:27 pm I think autocorrect got you on DJ8. Byrd was a lot of things, but temporary wasn’t one of them.
Ha! Fixed.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:38 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:27 pm I think autocorrect got you on DJ8. Byrd was a lot of things, but temporary wasn’t one of them.
Ha! Fixed.
Not autocorrect but autohearing as I was giving a transcribing tool a test. Thanks for fixing it. I'll do another audio game tomorrow with an S8 one.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Out of curiousity to see if Whisper would transcribe audio from video files (it does), 1985-01-11 has been entered: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7939

Pictures of Rick Thierbach, Pam Miller, and Bill Klippel:
Spoiler
Bill won 3 games with an average Coryat Score of $1,375 and an average of 7.5 correct per game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy TuneIn I added 1991-10-09: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7941

Cathy Gahn vs. Bernie Sandalo vs. Tim House

Ya gotta know your Pavlovs.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Back to entering the game that’s been in our backlog the longest, 1991-04-18: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7945

Suzanne got a good laugh with her Final Jeopardy! response.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Next up, 1991-04-22: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7946

We got prizes for this one!

DJ30 certainly affected the outcome of this one.

Also, thanks to Mark's scoresheets for the correct spelling of Judie and for information about how DJ category 6 showed up.
Andy Saunders
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 12/12/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7948

Player pics of Debra Stein, Tom and Bob Caruso:
Spoiler
Andy did a couple of S7 games so I dropped back down to S6.

DD3 :o For both wager and miss. There is more than one way to win a game. Bet big on a DD and lock the match or drop to 3rd and win on a TS FJ! clue.

Tom was not happy at losing. Usually Alex at chat would cough up more information like a last name or occupation about a new player and we don't even know it was Washington the state or D.C. for originally from. All that came up was Tom went to Oxford and picked tomatoes on term break in Greece.

OneEclecticMom would love Debra's ensemble.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

There was some discussion recently regarding Mike Day's run, so I will finish inputting that.

Courtesy of both the National Archives of Game Show History and TuneIn, we have Mike Day, Game 3, 1985-04-11: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7949

Pictures of Melody Cadillac, Kevin Eisenberg, and Mike Day:
Spoiler
Things kinda fell off the rails for Melody midway through DJ. I think -$3,700 may have been the record low up to that point?

As best as I can tell, the punctuation—no matter how incorrect it may look—was recreated faithfully.

J6: Major fail from the judges there.
J12: I inserted a line break because the spelling was ending up on different lines otherwise.
Andy Saunders
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:29 am There was some discussion recently regarding Mike Day's run, so I will finish inputting that.

Courtesy of both the National Archives of Game Show History and TuneIn, we have Mike Day, Game 3, 1985-04-11: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7949

Pictures of Melody Cadillac, Kevin Eisenberg, and Mike Day:
Spoiler
Things kinda fell off the rails for Melody midway through DJ. I think -$3,700 may have been the record low up to that point?

As best as I can tell, the punctuation—no matter how incorrect it may look—was recreated faithfully.

J6: Major fail from the judges there.
J12: I inserted a line break because the spelling was ending up on different lines otherwise.
J19 is factually wrong. Albert Fall was convicted for taking bribes as Secretary of the Interior in the Teapot Dome scandal. Mitchell’s crimes occurred after he was Attorney General. Not sure if other cabinet members spent time in the pokey.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

And closing out Mike Day's run, we have his fifth game, 1985-04-15: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7950

Pictures of Patti Post, Derek Laurie, and Mike Day:
Spoiler
Confirmed that Mike Day joins the 5-runaways-in-5-games club.

Derek definitely got frustrated by the buzzer and how to properly signal, to the point that Alex had to explain it multiple times on air.

Mike was celebrating with fist pumps after the end-of-round signal in DJ when he realized he had a runaway. I've made reference to this specific happenstance in interviews recently when talking about Barbara Lowe's celebrations.

J22 (DD1): This was an absolutely horrid ruling from Alex, and the judges should have stepped in to overrule. There was absolutely nothing specifying that it had to be a song title in that clue, and Mike's response fits all constraints of clue and category. I'm glad things got cleaned up in later years, but if there were a compilation of "worst rulings in the show's history," this would definitely be on it.
Andy Saunders
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 am

J22 (DD1): This was an absolutely horrid ruling from Alex, and the judges should have stepped in to overrule. There was absolutely nothing specifying that it had to be a song title in that clue, and Mike's response fits all constraints of clue and category. I'm glad things got cleaned up in later years, but if there were a compilation of "worst rulings in the show's history," this would definitely be on it.
I agree. That was an egregiously bad ruling. His response absolutely should have been taken.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Back to the backlog of TuneIn games, we have 1991-04-23: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7951

Bob may have been "once bitten, twice shy" on the Daily Doubles—we likely would have had co-champions had Bob gone all-in on DD3.

A lot of writing was required with Final in this one, but it didn't stop it from going 3-for-3.
Andy Saunders
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:29 am J12: I inserted a line break because the spelling was ending up on different lines otherwise.
Fixed with the HTML non-breaking hyphen

Code: Select all

‑
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:29 am J6: Major fail from the judges there.
I proposed another way of noting this that makes the judging fail more clear. Do with it what you will.
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:53 am J19 is factually wrong. Albert Fall was convicted for taking bribes as Secretary of the Interior in the Teapot Dome scandal. Mitchell’s crimes occurred after he was Attorney General. Not sure if other cabinet members spent time in the pokey.
I added an erratum with your info.

I have been capitalizing "Cabinet" in the Archive when it refers to the U.S. quasi-governmental body but I notice that this is not universally followed. Arguments against?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:51 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 am

I agree. That was an egregiously bad ruling. His response absolutely should have been taken.
I’ll cut them some slack for it being S1 and it not altering the outcome but I agree it was a bad ruling. Not only did his first response meet what was required he gave the full title before Alex ruled him wrong, which has always been allowed in every game I’ve watched.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 am J22 (DD1): This was an absolutely horrid ruling from Alex, and the judges should have stepped in to overrule. There was absolutely nothing specifying that it had to be a song title in that clue, and Mike's response fits all constraints of clue and category. I'm glad things got cleaned up in later years, but if there were a compilation of "worst rulings in the show's history," this would definitely be on it.
The clue says "Easy to do" but the song is Hard. Typo, or weird clue phrasing?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Courtesy TuneIn, we have 1991-04-26: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7952

A weird late-game happening just before DD3 that might have seen Paul returned had he gotten Final correct.

As it was, Final definitely seems to have dropped a clue between what's listed in Collected Finals and the show's airing.

There was a sound effect with the 6th J! round category intro. According to Mark's scoresheet, it was not underlined, though it was a category about the show.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:03 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 am J22 (DD1): This was an absolutely horrid ruling from Alex, and the judges should have stepped in to overrule. There was absolutely nothing specifying that it had to be a song title in that clue, and Mike's response fits all constraints of clue and category. I'm glad things got cleaned up in later years, but if there were a compilation of "worst rulings in the show's history," this would definitely be on it.
The clue says "Easy to do" but the song is Hard. Typo, or weird clue phrasing?
Checking the tape... looks like weird clue phrasing.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Courtesy Tunein, we have 1991-04-29: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7953

Re: Final — World Bank was only off on its prediction by about 77 years.

Alex seemed to enjoy Phyllis as a contestant.
Andy Saunders
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I thought maybe we'd be welcoming movie cowboy William S. Hart to the J-Canon, but was surprised to find a half dozen other references to him, including as a correct response as recently as 2007! That middle initial was mighty attractive as a clue.