Monday, May 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, May 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The original 1900 printing of this book was in a pale green dust jacket stamped in a vivid jewel tone of green

Ben Chan: 20800+4000=24800 (9x = $252,600)
Joe Lasser: 7600+399=7999
Nancy Duran: 3600-3500=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
The (Wonderful) Wizard of Oz (Nancy – Anne of Green Gables)

Daily Doubles
Ben: 2800+2800
Joe: 2200+2200
Ben: 16400+2000

Coryats
Ben: 18600
Joe: 6600
Nancy: 3600

Combined: 28,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ben: 8400
Joe: 1400
Nancy:minus 400
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

If you missed this FJ, then your Uncle Myron is very disappointed in you.

From last month:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:39 pm LITERARY LIONS for $800 (DJ round DD)
"Whenever there is danger my heart begins to beat fast", says this character in a 1900 book
For future contestants, there were many books published in 1900, some of them may even have been asked on the show. But this particular book and year, you absolutely need. to. know. This is a Pavlov above all other Pavlovs.
Got FJ in 3 words.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Already if the category is CHILDREN’S BOOKS then there's a five to ten percent chance they're looking for this book or Winnie the Pooh. Given the year, it's a slam dunk.

I asked ChatGPT to give me other children's books published in 1900 and it named a lot of books published around that year but none in it.

Wikipedia knows of only two others, and they're both short story collections that Jeopardy! won't ask about: The Grey Fairy Book (of Lang's Fairy Books) and The Other Side of the Sun.

So not only is this, as Myron says, a Pavlov above Pavlovs, it's a Pavlov entirely without tricks or exceptions.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Joe got the clue that mentioned the Hardy Boys. Yay. Too bad with a Ben, Joe and Nancy playing that there was not a Cartwright clue.

Double digit W & TS clues had the players far from that busted myth of the players knowing 90% of the material. The challengers can blame their defeat on facing a big-time champ, but there were plenty of clues available where buzzer skill would not have mattered.

Myron, I'll put the clue at 83.33% as even if I had not recalled your post, which I did, I would have stayed in the States and not gone north like Nancy did.

Ben going for the official superchamp status tomorrow in trying to one-up Buzzy. More than one champ has lost game #10, while losing game #11 is still untouched.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

As someone who got the FJ almost immediately, I'll give Nancy some slack for her incorrect FJ guess. Anne of Green Gables was released in 1908, so that's not that far off from 1900. Also, while Wikipedia shows that the first edition of Green Gables was a pale blue, I did own a copy as a kid that was very much green...albeit without a dust jacket.

Or she just thought "Hey, green's in the clue twice. It's worth a shot as a guess". Shame she didn't think of Oz's Emerald City with "vivid jewel tone of green".

Joe's six incorrect guesses equaled Ben's and Nancy's combined. Fourteen TSes is a tougher number to wave away. But I am still at "A Loss For Words" with Ben's runaway streak. I can see that streak ending tomorrow, but him losing is currently harder to envision. Let's see what you got, Danny and Lynn!
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

As someone who had not associated 1900 with that book, I guessed Peter Pan, which I hadn't realized was released in different collections of short stories over the years, but at least it began in 1902, so I wasn't that far off with thinking of something green and childrensy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

3-operation algebra with a 4-second timeout resulting in two negs and a get: sounds about right.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:19 pm 3-operation algebra with a 4-second timeout resulting in two negs and a get: sounds about right.
Ha! I like it. Only you gave the contestants a bit too much credit. None of them got it.

I'd wager that kids week contestants would all nail it.

Regarding FJ, there's actually a ton of novels (not just children's) that fit various year Pavlov's per the archive. But this one is certainly a biggie.
Last edited by Golf on Mon May 22, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:26 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:19 pm 3-operation algebra with a 4-second timeout resulting in two negs and a get: sounds about right.
Ha! I like it. Only you gave the contestants a bit too much credit. None of them got it.
Oh, geez. I must have been counting my own Lach trash.

Regarding "more 1900 novels", you must be omitting "children's" from the Pavlov? I don't think anyone's saying only one novel was published that year.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:45 pm
Golf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:26 pm
Oh, geez. I must have been counting my own Lach trash.

Regarding "more 1900 novels", you must be omitting "children's" from the Pavlov? I don't think anyone's saying only one novel was published that year.
Sorry, I was not at all clear. I was not referring to either children's novels nor only the year 1900. I was saying that there are a ton of novel year Pavlovs per the archive in addition to this one. My original post has been edited to clarify.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:51 pm I was not referring to either children's novels nor only the year 1900. I was saying that there are a ton of novel year Pavlovs per the archive in addition to this one.
Ah, got it. Maybe none so memorable as the nice round number "1900". Nothing that strikes me as likely to show up repeatedly on J!, or in an FJ!, was published in 1800. In 2000, Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, maybe, or Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Goblet of Fire was that year.

1700--nothing of note. 1600, a few Shakespeare plays were published, but that falls into the category of drama, not novels. 1500, we're in pre-novel territory now. (It was the year of publication of the first printed English-language cookbook, This is the Boke of Cokery. Only one copy exists!)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What is the fetish on this show with the wizard of oz? Why do they have to ask about it like every 10 games?

I don't like superchamps. I was fine with the five-game limit. Superchamps succeed not because of their own merit but because they are constantly facing weak challengers.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:01 pm constantly facing weak challengers.
[citation needed]
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

For FJ, my wife and I thought of the "Great green room", but Goodnight Moon was 47 years later.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:01 pm I don't like superchamps. I was fine with the five-game limit.
And they're the entire reason the show became more relevant than Wheel. Especially Ken Jennings' run.

I think it's safe to say that Davies and co. won't bring back limits anytime soon, so long as ratings are good.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fourth podium poll is up:

viewtopic.php?t=7087

No real path to victory here unless I screwed up in my calculations or in making the poll. My brain is really not working well tonight, so that wouldn't surprise me. Report egregious errors as quickly as possible if you see them and we may be able to salvage the poll.