Monday, May 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, May 22, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrchidEntity »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:01 pm What is the fetish on this show with the wizard of oz? Why do they have to ask about it like every 10 games?

I don't like superchamps. I was fine with the five-game limit. Superchamps succeed not because of their own merit but because they are constantly facing weak challengers.
This is your takeaway from Ben making nine runaways in a row? Not even a "wow, cool, much respect"? Just "lol, just lol, weak challengers"? If you really don't like superchamps, who have been around for over two decades now, then...I don't know what to say, man! And superchamps have gotten ratings. Masters certainly has superchamps (and one guy who likely would have been a superchamp had him and Amy not met in regular play) and is certainly getting good ratings!

And the show has fetishes (if you really want to use that word) for other topics too, like John Green (hey, look who showed up today!) and Napoleon. Ugh.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

"A 19th century flirtation device, this type of bonnet was named for the way it would extend, protrude, to be precise, this verb beyond the face"

You could literally have given me 100 guesses on this clue and "poke" would not have been one of those guesses.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

econgator wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:04 pm "A 19th century flirtation device, this type of bonnet was named for the way it would extend, protrude, to be precise, this verb beyond the face"

You could literally have given me 100 guesses on this clue and "poke" would not have been one of those guesses.
That's only because you aren't an immoral pleasure-seeker! :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tough break for Joe on the Elephant clue; Black Eyed Peas' breakout album was Elephunk.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ. Ben continues to take no prisoners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:26 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:19 pm 3-operation algebra with a 4-second timeout resulting in two negs and a get: sounds about right.
Ha! I like it. Only you gave the contestants a bit too much credit. None of them got it.

I'd wager that kids week contestants would all nail it.

Regarding FJ, there's actually a ton of novels (not just children's) that fit various year Pavlov's per the archive. But this one is certainly a biggie.
I didn’t start algebra until eighth grade (it was called pre-algebra) so I don’t know if Kids Week players would know it, certainly Teen Tournament players should know it.

I got it but I can see it being hard on stage depending on how well you can see the clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bkellysky wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:19 pm For FJ, my wife and I thought of the "Great green room", but Goodnight Moon was 47 years later.
https://www.omnibusproject.com/387
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:31 pm I got it but I can see it being hard on stage depending on how well you can see the clue.
I don't think anyone can reasonably get it by the time the lights go on (since it wouldn't be instantly apparent from the beginning of the clue read that they're asking you to solve the algebraic equation, an unusual ask in a Jeopardy! clue), so the only question is whether you can get it before your timer lights go out (about 3-4 seconds after you've been recognized). Maybe 1% of Jeopardy! players can do three algebraic operations in 4 seconds. I could have easily done it in 8 seconds and so would've been in on the second rebound, but if I'm the first one in, I'm toast.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:08 pm If you missed this FJ, then your Uncle Myron is very disappointed in you.

From last month:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:39 pm LITERARY LIONS for $800 (DJ round DD)
"Whenever there is danger my heart begins to beat fast", says this character in a 1900 book
For future contestants, there were many books published in 1900, some of them may even have been asked on the show. But this particular book and year, you absolutely need. to. know. This is a Pavlov above all other Pavlovs.
Got FJ in 3 words.
I told my husband "the guys on JBoard are gonna get this from the year alone."
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Three little things:

1. If someone doesn’t like super champs, why is it anyone’s business to tell him or her that they are wrong? They are wonderful and cogent argument as to why the game may have been better with limiting the champs to five days. Personally, I would’ve liked to of had the opportunity to go more than five days. But it’s a TV show. The reason the show does it, allow super champs really, is that it doesn’t cost him any more. They’re paying anyway. And many people do seem to like it. But I don’t understand why anyone would get so worked up about someone saying they don’t like it. But OK, everybody, you all do you.

2. I think they should’ve accepted the response, the iron mask. The question was poorly written with the only thing pointing to the name of the novel rather than the actual headgear was the word “this”. I think she should have protested. Perhaps she did. But there was a better way to phrase that question, such as starting with the words, “this Dumas novel features a type of headgear blah blah blah”

3. I don’t think they should’ve excepted the Wizard of Oz. The name of the novel published in 1900 was, “the wonderful Wizard of Oz.“ Sometimes the movie in the novel upon which it is best to not share the exact same title. There is no novel published in 1900 with the exact title, “the Wizard of Oz.“ Perhaps it was re-published at a later date. I don’t know. But I would have required the word wonderful. Since they are asking for the name of the book. It also makes the question a little more interesting and a little more difficult.
YMMV
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

It is called "The Wizard of Oz" in some editions.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Trevor807 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:31 am It is called "The Wizard of Oz" in some editions.
Were any of those alternatively titled editions published in 1900? If so then it’s acceptable. If only later editions have that name, then I don’t think I’d accept it.
Last edited by JyV92 on Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

JyV92 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:35 am
Trevor807 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:31 am It is called "The Wizard of Oz" in some editions.
Were any of those additions published in 1900? If so then it’s acceptable. If only later additions have that name, then I don’t think I’ll except it.
It only gained that title in later editions:

https://www.rareozbooks.com/Various-col ... tions.html
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I’ll take a fun superchamp like Ken or James over a string over one-day champions. It gives me someone, something extra to look forward to when watching.

I had the right guess for Final Jeopardy, though hardly a gimme for me. I guessed Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which should be accepted, right?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

At least there was a rationale for calling a 6+ game winner a superchamp; 10 games is just random.

Thank you, Myron. I started to think about the significance of green and then realized screw it, all I need is 1900.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Another notable 1900 novel in my Pavlov set is Sister Carrie, but that obviously didn't work for this clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Were any of those alternatively titled editions published in 1900? If so then it’s acceptable. If only later editions have that name, then I don’t think I’d accept it.
I get your point, but they are going to always accept it just like they accept Alice in Wonderland.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Xu Donym wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:20 pm
econgator wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:04 pm "A 19th century flirtation device, this type of bonnet was named for the way it would extend, protrude, to be precise, this verb beyond the face"

That's only because you aren't an immoral pleasure-seeker! :D
No need to hoe him over the coals.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Your rule makes sense, but I think they've always accepted anachronistic names and titles. You get full credit for saying Jackie O. was in the car with JFK in 1963. That's just the house rules. I think your way of ruling probably makes more sense, but their way has the advantage of leading to fewer judgment calls. It also allows them to have clues about songs by John Mellencamp.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:12 pm No need to hoe him over the coals.
What coals? I carried them all to Newcastle.