Masters Friday, May 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Masters Friday, May 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 J! Round
Archivists

Re: Masters Friday, May 12, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 J! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Game 1:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NEW ENGLAND WOMEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At her funeral in 1936, it was said that "the touch of her hand…literally emancipated a soul"

Andrew He 37600-0=37600 (3 points)
Sam Buttrey 8800-8800=0 (0 points)
Amy Schneider 14800-5000=9800 (1 point)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Annie Sullivan? (Andrew - Who) (Sam - Who is Barton?) (Amy - Who is Eddy?)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 4400+4400
Amy: 6600+6600
Andrew: 15400+15400

Coryats:
Andrew: 19200
Sam: 8800
Amy: 10200

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 9400
Sam: 4800
Amy: 4200

Game 2:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL PLACES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The dominions of this land "extend five thousand blustrugs (about twelve miles in circumference)"

James Holzhauer 24800-1122=23678 (3 points)
Mattea Roach 5800+158=5958 (1 point)
Matt Amodio minus 2000 (0 points)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lilliput (James - What's it like to know James Holzhauer, Ken?)
Daily Doubles
Matt: 1000+1000
James: 9400+9400
Matt: 9600-9600

Coryats:
James: 17000
Mattea: 5800
Matt: 7600

Combined: 30,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 8200
Mattea: 4200
Matt: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken was called Ken Jen and K-Dog tonight to go with the previous KJ. What's left of his nicknames?

Sam had a new one to close a round with, "I would like that one" as he pointed to the board.

Amy on guitar, Sam on keyboards and Andrew on drums had a fun coordinated opening.

The other stick in pool has many names and I would have had to filter myself to keep my response decent.

I matched Amy on the FJ! clue while dismissing Sam's response and knowing it could not be Dickinson.

Tough break for Matt on his DD with many other DDs being many degrees easier. Such as the one James doubled up on DD2. Matt gave it a shot and got burned. I wonder if James really did not know the FJ! clue and whether Matt did know.

Once again I thought of the right place for the FJ! clue and dismissed it for being too easy for the Masters. I almost went with a blank page until I wrote Discworld.

The clue's wording had me imagining something like a sphere in space for most of think time.

Another point for Mattea with a 5800 Coryat enough against Matt finishing in the red.

While James, Andrew and Mattea are looking good for the semis, one of Matt, Sam or Amy have to get there as well before the cut line after Wednesday the 17th.

I'll do a separate poll for the four Masters nights tomorrow afternoon before the regular poll.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Getting an FJ missed by 3 Jeopardy Masters? Priceless.

I got the second one too, for my first double-final of this event, after 3 consecutive 1-for-2s.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Is this getting borderline unwatchable for anybody besides me? Many of the games are runaways because of the daily doubles.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Is there a way I can watch this? I totally didn't know....
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Surprised they left in James's "keep it in your pants" comment. That's definitely too racey for the syndicated show!
billiej

Post by billiej »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 pm Surprised they left in James's "keep it in your pants" comment. That's definitely too racey for the syndicated show!
"Jeopardy! After Dark" :lol:
goongas

Post by goongas »

The episodes I believe are on Hulu.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

58 R (Couldn't get the bottom two in Funny Ladies.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Game 2:

57 R (Missed TV Title References 400 & 2000(Negged with Dawson's Creek.), also could not get George Schulz.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Mon May 15, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 pm Surprised they left in James's "keep it in your pants" comment. That's definitely too racey for the syndicated show!
It was too vulgar for the event...I'm beginning to understand that James and Ken really don't like each other. And in Ken's pov, I understand why...
Was pleased to get both FJs...I would never have associated Annie Sullivan with New England, perhaps that's what led them wrong. Keller was the first name that came to mind, but when I realized she was from the South, my mind drifted to her teacher...
Last edited by davey on Sun May 14, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I've been in that cave with the glowworms in Waitomo. You float down in black inner tubes. Top 10 most amazing life experiences, probably.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I thought of Anne Sullivan, but remembered Helen Keller is from the South, so dismissed her, but I couldn't come up with anyone better so kept it...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought of Lilliput for FJ on the second show, but ended up going with Discworld. Lilliput being circular didn't make much sense to me.

[edit: I now see Mark Barrett also guessed Discworld, so good company!]
billiej

Post by billiej »

billiej wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:26 pm
"Jeopardy! After Dark" :lol:
Ooh, I'm psychic! :shock:
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I do not have much to say for this episode. I love the line "I will put myself in jeopardy" 'for this clue.' for the daily double that Mat did. The Linnaeus game was funny too, As was the 'sushi snack thing' and that it was a controversy. but does beg the question is the really nothing to actually ask He about himself that you are going to the point of asking about someone else's snack during the tournament of champions. (definitely considering as a five day champion he probably has near the fewest interviews (not sure where Sam ranks) of most of the contestants here.) so they should not have ran out of anything.

I also see they have a clue with a response for the waterfront something I noticed even my in my first view with it in the background. and the wonderful life banter was funny. (And should have ended there editors.) (if it was time just do what you did during the celebrity version and extend the pan out between breaks.)
Last edited by Game Girl on Sat May 27, 2023 2:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

like you said above I am kind of shocked they kept in there. I thought they would both be more than enough to lampshade everything. granted maybe this is a case of "trying to push a different crap past the radar" (see TV tropes) that did not stick correctly but I guess this is what you get when you have to edit The majority of episodes in under a week. (granted ABC or the TV board (The people in charge of general "censoring") should have been on this not even the jeopardy staff self monitoring.)

it seems that James wants to turn the show into a parody/tabloid hybrid along with his wrestling re-enactment. I actually believed he was going to be as well behaved as in the goat tournament and was happy to see him (though worried for the other players) but that is obviously not coming true. I kind of was sensing it was going to go 'out of hand' but after this I realized I should stop expecting there to be a limit, and this more in place in a weird fanfiction that pairs any main character in sight (disclaimer not all fanfiction does this but obviously the ones he reads). it took until to the episode after this in which he brought a wrestling belt that I realize that lampshades are completely off the table.

The 'target audience' (The 'PureWick' audience that station seem to think are the only viewers even though they advertise 'normally' on my affiliate during the 'syndicate broadcast'.) would find this not acceptable and even I found it went over the edge but for different reasons.

I do have to give it to him, every time I think he reaches the limit of craziness something more happens which is somewhat of a impressive stunt. I was originally not going to mention it just give the comment above just not the feed fuel to the fire but I feel more comfortable talking about this as a response rather than 'original post'. anyhow overall he definitely is proving why 'The do not know the host rule' exists with they are now being no chance of any of those production rules disappearing for our 'vigilant' producer.