Monday, May 29, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, May 29, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jamie »

Having the word "identified" in the FJ! clue kind of moves it from "What else could it be?" to Kids Week level, IMO.
seaborgium wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:51 pm Would "Tomb of the Unknown(s)" be acceptable? Wikipedia says the TotUS doesn't have an official name, and if that shortened name could be accepted, and since UNK is an established abbreviation for "unknown," I think they could have accepted Travis's response.
I think that's a generous interpretation of how far along he was on "unknown." Who knows, though, losing that way could be the sort of thing the producers like for an SCC invite.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:51 pm Would "Tomb of the Unknown(s)" be acceptable?
Yes.
https://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/tombofun.htm
Game Girl
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Game Girl »

I was saying Ukrainian for tak instead of polish. correct if you ignore the city below. (not like they use their alphabet or anything (since spelling and alphabet is different depending on language)). it probably did not help that the title of the category did not indicate a city and she said 'give us the language'. I guessed the final jeopardy mostly because it was the most famous tomb of a soldier. (for the US I mean) and would make the most sense to need to be reburied somewhere.

for music 'part of Manhattan in its title' clue i was up to Houston (The street, I use voice dictation if spelling is off) when I heard the question Harlem shake (which I am aware of existing) problem is I was looking for the response in 'techno land' , this question was terribly phrased given the context of how music history happened. The "DJ" parts set me on a different course completely since lot of DJ's name their songs after a Manhattan streets since a lot of clubs were there at one point. and the instrumental portion of the category did not help matters. I was thinking of every DJ mix and trying to find the ones from 2010s (Hudson (another song) is too old). I guess that is what I get from being from a family that played 'Alien Trance' discs. a lot of the popular songs I grew up with that were 'pop' were even remixes of the 'pop' song as I found out later looking at iTunes to find a song and finding it 'sounds wrong'.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:25 pm I think most of us would disagree with FloridaGator's opinion.
And if it goes unchallenged, people don't say "one person on JBoard says X".

People say "JBoard says X".

And then JBoard gets painted as a bunch of jerks for the actions of one or two.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not think Travis was arrogant.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 am I did not think Travis was arrogant.
Gator misspelled 'focused'.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57/58/59 R (Handmaid's Tale character, nope. Don't know if Miles and April were enough to get accepted.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:04 pm
Mayim is again inserting pregnant pauses after perfectly correct responses. There was no reason for that pause after Yucatan.
The only justification for the pause after Yucatan is that it is both the name of the peninsula and one of the Mexican states within the peninsula - perhaps she wondered if peninsula would be required in the response to distinguish it from the Mexican state of Yucatan? Obviously no such distinction was needed since peninsula was in the clue, but it may explain her thought process on this one.