Masters Tuesday, May 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Masters Tuesday, May 23, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:16 pm I blurted out Owen Glendower. Which I feel probably should not be right. I was trying to say Hotspur and really was not having a good day.

Yet, technically, I am not sure it’s obviously wrong?

I mean he’s sort of a rival. And he is older than Henry IV. Not a super tight question.
Not a bad point, though the Shakespeare tie-in leans more toward Hotspur. Both Glendower and Hotspur were in rebellion against Henry IV. Shakespeare had Prince Hal and Hotspur in hand-to-hand combat, though there's no evidence that the combat actually happened.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wasn't too surprised by Car 54 being a stand-and-stare. Though I'll bet Sam would have gotten it. Great theme song:

Speaking of Degas' Little Dancer, I was in the National Gallery of Art last week, and took this picture (this was the sculpture that was attacked by environmental protestors a few weeks ago, but has been restored):

Edgar Degas - Little Dancer Aged Fourteen Reduced.png
Edgar Degas - Little Dancer Aged Fourteen Reduced.png (279.16 KiB) Viewed 1062 times

brick wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:18 pm I don’t disagree w floridagator though. I’ll go further: the Frick isn’t the kind of museum that potential contestants should concern themselves with at all, save its tony location.
I'd say that given that it's the Masters, pretty much anything goes. It was Masters level (I got it, but I'm a native New Yorker).
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

alietr wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm I wasn't too surprised by Car 54 being a stand-and-stare. Though I'll bet Sam would have gotten it. Great theme song:
This considerably-younger-than-Sam viewer got it by virtue of Nick at Nite reruns in the late '80s. Between that and the Grayskull stumper in FICTIONAL CASTLES, I'm feeling some isolation in my childhood cultural experiences.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

Immediately after game 3, James was the only player who had clinched a spot in the finals but Mattea was very close to a clinch. The match points and total correct responses of the three players in SF4, immediately before that game, were:
Mattea: 2 MP, 36 CR
Andrew: 1 MP, 29 CR
Matt: 0 MP, 25 CR

So the only scenario in which Mattea does not advance is if all the following happens in SF4:
Matt wins the game, Andrew finishes second, and Andrew's correct responses in the game exceeds Mattea's by 7 or more.
brick

Post by brick »

jamie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:29 pm
alietr wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm I wasn't too surprised by Car 54 being a stand-and-stare. Though I'll bet Sam would have gotten it. Great theme song:
This considerably-younger-than-Sam viewer got it by virtue of Nick at Nite reruns in the late '80s. Between that and the Grayskull stumper in FICTIONAL CASTLES, I'm feeling some isolation in my childhood cultural experiences.
In my house the 40- something got both Car 54 and Grayskull. He was a little sad when he realized they might all be too young to have watched He Man.
brick

Post by brick »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:16 pm I blurted out Owen Glendower. Which I feel probably should not be right. I was trying to say Hotspur and really was not having a good day.

I mean he’s sort of a rival. And he is older than Henry IV. Not a super tight question.
Not a bad point, though the Shakespeare tie-in leans more toward Hotspur. Both Glendower and Hotspur were in rebellion against Henry IV. Shakespeare had Prince Hal and Hotspur in hand-to-hand combat, though there's no evidence that the combat actually happened.
I said Falstaff. Who it turns out is fictional. But is in the same plays as Hotspur, and frequently the same scenes. So I don't feel TOO bad about myself.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

brick wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:25 pm
jamie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:29 pm
In my house the 40- something got both Car 54 and Grayskull. He was a little sad when he realized they might all be too young to have watched He Man.
At 64, I'm the youngest-but-one of my Tuesday night pub trivia team. This week a question came up that led to our team captain noting that she's familiar with Skeletor solely from his many appearances on "Robot Chicken".
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:29 pm

I'd like to believe I was thinking of Glendower when I said Fluellen, another Welsh character who happens to be fictional (and not a rival). It's been too long since I've seen or read about the Henry plays to be reminded of Hotspur - Olivier's movie was on TCM this week but I didn't turn it on.
I did get Shakes the Clown though!)
Falstaff, of course, is kind of the opposite of Hotspur in the plays - a compatriot and confederate in wrongdoing, until Harry breaks with him...

Happy that I got “Götterdämmerung,” at least, in a last-second revelation...just enough time to write it, at home anyway...
Last edited by davey on Thu May 25, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

brick wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:18 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:52 am
floridagator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm There is no better exemplar of the show's East Coast bias then these two games tonight which each contained a reference to a street intersection in New York City.
This was an interesting error in light of your signature.
Comedy GOLD Jerry! Gold!

I don’t disagree w floridagator though. I’ll go further: the Frick isn’t the kind of museum that potential contestants should concern themselves with at all, save its tony location.
I don't see why not. It's a spot frequented by tourists, like the Hayden. I would point out that the addresses were not needed to solve either clue - just recognize a picture of a planetarium, and a historical figure (sure, that founded a NY museum). The addresses if you knew them just added some confirmation - or toniness, if you will. Why that would constitute bias, I don't know.
BTW, I just noticed that this was the 2d mention of the Frick this month...
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

mat's interview in this is definitely near the top of the best in terms of personal enjoyability. trying to do business and unrelevant (at best facts about your run, at worst TV gossip and opinions.) appears instead of your dissertation. and the fact that they asked if it was someone else is even more priceless. every single portion of this interview did not miss a beat. this does the trick clapping scene was also entertaining. (I guess that siren was not needed here.) I love mythical geography. The tree category was surprisingly more entertaining and knowledgeable than even I expected. as much as the masters only category (with stuff first appearing in this tournament) was amazing in thought. I did find it A little nonsense to have A response be marked wrong because it did appear previously considering the difficulty of verifying that in someone's head. (even with our lovely and beautiful archive).
floridagator wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm Matt really wanted that spot in the finals and he went out and got it. Congratulations to Matt, but this really illustrates the randomness of this tournament in terms of who finds and answers the Daily Doubles.

There is no better exemplar of the show's East Coast bias then these two games tonight which each contained a reference to a street intersection in New York City. When does the show ever use clues that refer to specific Street intersections in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas?
I think they actually had a whole section called 'LA traffic'. I do not know how you can get any worse than that with the exception of some of the questions in which they are just talking about their personal lives (not from this tournament but no one knows how your gym teacher smokes dude, did you cite your diary twice).

granted I have a feeling someone just read a page or a list of pages about New York stuff and just put them all in the show being how strange some of the stuff is like the 'Mayor talked about ghosts' question.

that was the most powerful "bring it" ever it was really raw and last chance like. I guess Swan Lake for the final chapter of Game 2 since I was thinking of operation used during times of instability. what brick said is correct it makes it was perfect and makes me proud to be a fan of a show. I am was someone who really loved the idea and even though I have a few things to say on that both now and going forward I am going to save that for another time. to be honest I thought Car 54 after watching the clue was a show about A sentient police car that helps the 2 police officers (after ditching them) definitely with the category being called classic car TV instead of two buffoon TV (which would make it interesting category one day since there are definitely enough 2 dude work partner shows for their genre) and The "where are you" part of the title in which I imagine the car driving away from them. (sorry for those that love this show, I am just really upset I did not find a 60s sentient car show). I did get the he-man question right. I do wanna mention that you do not even need to see the stats to see that they are failing on the buzzers since you can see their epic button pushing on the broadcasted version as a contestant gets called on. I really also want to just mention a comment about this episode from the podcast even though I use the reserve those for the podcast review. in the regular show every game is a risk. (The producer seem to think it was the opposite) he even said earlier in the podcast that you get to come back the next day in this tournament. that is all I got to say to that. I said Saint Basil for the third century bible transcript question, maybe that translator might been 6 century.

anyhow he I know you meant to it funny and I wish the best for you but you do know that tease only works if you do not have 7 losses next to a way lesser number of wins, it actually just looks sad. but in terms of he who chose his interviews, did he personally ask not to talk about himself. (which I can understand that request) but the way they are doing this makes it look almost like I care more about this other dude talk about him instead of yourself. (I know better because they cared enough to let him see his child's birth but a casual viewer might not pay attention to that.)

I do you wanna say the reason I am posting this so late is are usually wait until after the archive is posted so I could doublecheck on questions when I reference them rather than skip around a whole show but this time I went the skip around the whole show route because of the delay. The fact is I need to get some of this off the DVR considering I have a limit of 50 slots and I keep them there to tell me which game since they are not labelled by episode. (if possible could you just put the episode number for the master episodes) and to review the interviews. I think I made comments for everyone who's seem to skip making one for this game with the length here, sorry about the 'wall of text'.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

59 R (Missed Questionable Music Choices $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Game 2:

55 R (Missed Movies $600 & $800, the Bottom Two in Occupational Surnames, and Classic Car TV $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:26 am Oh, I have to call a small foul on the BD&A clue for 400 points:

"'International' cocoa concoction for the unmarried Clue character portrayed by Colin Jost's wife"

The clue character is Miss Scarlet, and Colin Jost's wife is Scarlett Johansson. Technically it still works on a letter-for-letter basis, but usually B&A and BD&A responses have their overlaps in whole words. (I know exceptions to this involving a possessive apostrophe-s have occurred, in the vein of, say, "That Darn Cat's Cradle," but this one feels more like an oversight to me.)
It's back to "Miss Scarlett" in Clue, so no foul
https://www.geekyhobbies.com/clue-2023- ... w-to-play/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:05 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:26 am Oh, I have to call a small foul on the BD&A clue for 400 points:

"'International' cocoa concoction for the unmarried Clue character portrayed by Colin Jost's wife"

The clue character is Miss Scarlet, and Colin Jost's wife is Scarlett Johansson. Technically it still works on a letter-for-letter basis, but usually B&A and BD&A responses have their overlaps in whole words. (I know exceptions to this involving a possessive apostrophe-s have occurred, in the vein of, say, "That Darn Cat's Cradle," but this one feels more like an oversight to me.)
It's back to "Miss Scarlett" in Clue, so no foul
https://www.geekyhobbies.com/clue-2023- ... w-to-play/
Also, the victim has gone from Mr. Boddy to Mr. Black, not a fan of that, the Cluedo precedent notwithstanding.