Thursday, June 1, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Thursday, June 1, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:56 pm Ilhana Redzovic: 4600+4600=9200
Jared Watson: 11600+2400=14000 (New Champ)
Eva Thomas: 16200-5599=10601
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:50 pm Congrats to Jared on his bumpy ride to victory. His savvy wager showed that he recognized the situation he was in, but I think it wasn't optimal. It needlessly exposed him to Eva's underwager. Had he missed FJ, she'd have won the game when Jared could've kept ahead by wagering nothing. Alternatively, had she gotten FJ, he'd have gone home knowing he could have won by recklessly betting way too much. Either outcome would've been rough to watch.

I'm thinking the smart bet for Eva would've been the shutout-tie of $7000. If she adds $1 to win on the upside, she risks falling $1 below Ilhana's doubled score on the down. If she'd made the shutout-tie wager, and if Jared had stuck with his wager and missed FJ, we'd have had our first three-way tiebreaker clue. THAT would've been something!
Jared's wager also let third back in the game which in this situation should never happen.

But I don't think Eva underwagered, I think she overwagered. Typically, any rational wager ending in 99 means staying ahead of somebody by $1 on a miss. In this case I believe she was trying to stay ahead of Jared's score entering FJ which should have been 11601. However since math is hard without a calculator, she overwagered by 1000 and ended up at 10601.

Ilhana did what she needed to with her wager in an attempt to win the game. Jared could have wagered anything between 0 and 2399 to both lock out Ilhana and probably win the game if Eva misses. I agree with you in that the smart wager from Eva should have been 7000.
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

As regards Bio Pics 1600, the clue reads "...this process of one cell duplicating into two genetically identical daughter cells."

Mitosis refers to the replication and distribution of the chromosomes. Cytokinesis (cell division) follows mitosis.

Thus, the acceptable response should have been: "What is cytokinesis?"

Jasper
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Such an easy fj. And an easy FJ favors whoever is in the lead. Oops. Well, maybe it doesn't favor someone who thinks there's a 128 story building in Mogadishu.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:50 am Such an easy fj. And an easy FJ favors whoever is in the lead. Oops. Well, maybe it doesn't favor someone who thinks there's a 128 story building in Mogadishu.
Ilhana gave the Mogadishu response, and she got FJ right. Also, the clue didn't say the tower was in the city in question, just that the name was on one.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

All I know is, I'm not eating macarons on Passover.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Jasper wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:34 am As regards Bio Pics 1600, the clue reads "...this process of one cell duplicating into two genetically identical daughter cells."

Mitosis refers to the replication and distribution of the chromosomes. Cytokinesis (cell division) follows mitosis.

Thus, the acceptable response should have been: "What is cytokinesis?"

Jasper
While you are technically correct, cytokinesis applies to both mitotic and meiotic cell division so doesn’t fit all parts of the clue. Since both mitosis and meiosis are commonly referred to as cell division, it isn’t a bad clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Second Book in the Series $2000 and received a gunshot wound to the abdomen in TV.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:03 pm The War DD said “some dude was one of these colonial militiamen”. The wording implied a plural group but they wanted the singular form.
I was thrown by this too but checking some clues in the Archives they do use "one of these" fairly often and it usually has a singular reasponse. Honestly not sure if there is grammatical jusitfication for this or if the answer/question this/these thing is so uniquely Jeopardy! that they can just make up their own rules, but I'm lowering my outrage level.

The issue is that the category required "man" but "these" in the clue points to a plural response: Minutemen. "One of these" I guess is meant to point to a singular response as he was one specific example of the collective group. I'd loved to have seen what happened if someone answered "Who are the Minutemen" very clearly enunciating -men rather than -man.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:03 pm The War DD said “some dude was one of these colonial militiamen”. The wording implied a plural group but they wanted the singular form.
I was thrown by this too but checking some clues in the Archives they do use "one of these" fairly often and it usually has a singular reasponse. Honestly not sure if there is grammatical jusitfication for this or if the answer/question this/these thing is so uniquely Jeopardy! that they can just make up their own rules, but I'm lowering my outrage level.

The issue is that the category required "man" but "these" in the clue points to a plural response: Minutemen. "One of these" I guess is meant to point to a singular response as he was one specific example of the collective group. I'd loved to have seen what happened if someone answered "Who are the Minutemen" very clearly enunciating -men rather than -man.
Man was in quotation marks but I don’t think Mayim commented on that when introducing the categories.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:43 pm Man was in quotation marks but I don’t think Mayim commented on that when introducing the categories.
Alex was pretty diligent about that; the new hosts, not so much. At first Trebek would always say something like "MAN in quotation marks, the correct response will contain those letters". Later it would be "MAN in quotation marks, you know what that means", then still later simply "notice the quotation marks". It's only since he's been gone that the explanation for that code has fallen by the wayside.

Then again, there never was a similar code for such "category hints" like "from C to D" which meant not that the response would fall alphabetically between those letters but rather would begin and end with them.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

da Doctah wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:43 pm Man was in quotation marks but I don’t think Mayim commented on that when introducing the categories.
Alex was pretty diligent about that; the new hosts, not so much. At first Trebek would always say something like "MAN in quotation marks, the correct response will contain those letters". Later it would be "MAN in quotation marks, you know what that means", then still later simply "notice the quotation marks". It's only since he's been gone that the explanation for that code has fallen by the wayside.

Then again, there never was a similar code for such "category hints" like "from C to D" which meant not that the response would fall alphabetically between those letters but rather would begin and end with them.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6657 , Zero remark on the 'Ye' category

Given games prior and after have notes by the archivists where Alex points out the letters in quotes, I don't think they would've missed this one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:51 pm

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6657 , Zero remark on the 'Ye' category

Given games prior and after have notes by the archivists where Alex points out the letters in quotes, I don't think they would've missed this one.
Alex said "Notice the quotation marks on 'Y-E'."

This is the sort of thing that Archivists would omit because it doesn't add any additional information over the written record.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:40 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:51 pm

Alex said "Notice the quotation marks on 'Y-E'."

This is the sort of thing that Archivists would omit because it doesn't add any additional information over the written record.
While we’re here, should Michelle’s job not be “voting rights attorney” as opposed to “voting right”? (Unless she has a very narrow focus on voting).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:27 pm While we’re here, should Michelle’s job not be “voting rights attorney” as opposed to “voting right”? (Unless she has a very narrow focus on voting).
Fixed
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:21 am All I know is, I'm not eating macarons on Passover.
Vey iz mir! You don't suppose Mayim of all people actually thinks they're the same thing!