Masters Wednesday, May 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Masters Wednesday, May 24, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:06 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:30 pm So all three will be back for Masters II? I wonder if they’ll dig deeper for the other players. Looks like this will be James’ regular job for a few years at least.
It was mentioned on the January 16 episode of Inside Jeopardy! that for next year's Masters, one of the remaining three slots will go to the 2023 ToC winner, another will go to the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament winner, and the last is at producers' discretion.
Nothing against James, but as a matter of principle If they have to invite any participants back, I'd rather they skip the winner and invite only 2nd & 3rd.

And then every few years they could have a tournament for Masters winners (claps hand over mouth in horror). You didn't hear that.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:43 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:30 pm So all three will be back for Masters II? I wonder if they’ll dig deeper for the other players. Looks like this will be James’ regular job for a few years at least.
It was mentioned on the January 16 episode of Inside Jeopardy! that for next year's Masters, one of the remaining three slots will go to the 2023 ToC winner, another will go to the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament winner, and the last is at producers' discretion.
Nothing against James, but as a matter of principle If they have to invite any participants back, I'd rather they skip the winner and invite only 2nd & 3rd.

And then every few years they could have a tournament for Masters winners (claps hand over mouth in horror). You didn't hear that.
With all due respect, imagine telling Tom Brady "Hey, you won the Super Bowl, you can't play again for a few years".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:54 pm

With all due respect, imagine telling Tom Brady "Hey, you won the Super Bowl, you can't play again for a few years".
But it's not unprecedented. Most Jeopardy! contestants (well, up to now anyway) don't get to play again at all after they lose. (Try telling Tom Brady that.) And when they've had tournaments for people considered the best of the best, they've spread them out at least a few years apart. If they're going to turn the supertournament into a yearly thing, I think it's entirely reasonable not to have so much carryover in a relatively small group. There are plenty of other champions who could do this and be entertaining to watch.

James is terrific, but he's so good that he changes the nature of the game - every match is about him, and whether anyone else will be able to make it close enough to even have a chance at beating him. Some people are going to love that; others may not like it so much watching that year after year.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:54 pm

True. But I'd also be opposed to giving this year's Super Bowl winner an automatic berth into next year's playoffs. You do give rise to an interesting vision, though. Imagine just one buzzer with the contestants blocking and tackling each other as they race to ring in.......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:54 pm With all due respect, imagine telling Tom Brady "Hey, you won the Super Bowl, you can't play again for a few years".
True. But I'd also be opposed to giving this year's Super Bowl winner an automatic berth into next year's playoffs. You do give rise to an interesting vision, though. Imagine just one buzzer with the contestants blocking and tackling each other as they race to ring in.......
That'd give Holzhauer another interpretation for his "all-in" gesture.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 am
JFanForever wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:36 pm Thank goodness James won, have never really like Mattea all that much.
What a weird comment. You didn't like Mattea much, so "thank goodness" James won? That seems awfully petty.
You may think so, but I found Mattea very irritating during their original run, by all means knowledgeable, just not someone I personally care for.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

54/55 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Cops & Robbers TV, and Horror Movies $800 - $1600. Did not know Wagner Group at the time, but know it now.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Game 2:

57 R (Missed Michael J. Pollard and the Bottom Two In It's Just Us.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

JFanForever wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:02 pm
JFanForever wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:36 pm Thank goodness James won, have never really like Mattea all that much.
What a weird comment. You didn't like Mattea much, so "thank goodness" James won? That seems awfully petty.
You may think so, but I found Mattea very irritating during their original run, by all means knowledgeable, just not someone I personally care for.
So what is it about Mattea you dislike, OOC?
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:23 pm I thought Ken said $100,000 would be going to each of the finalists' selected charity.
OQ did the favor of double checking and nope, only the winner got the $100k wish fulfilled.
brick

Post by brick »

Trevor807 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:24 pm
So what is it about Mattea you dislike, OOC?
Please don’t.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I thought they were going to have a round in which everyone answers questions that they already did based on with the podcast for saying about a board with answer The contestants previously responded but that seem to not happened exactly. I knew he was going to win from the beginning too. (it took me awhile to get to this episode because the day I was going to watch it 'game show day' happened.) but since this got the most comments I decided to put my hat in the ring. The 'great upsets joke' was funny. it seems father Brown Chronicles should be added to the study guide as I think we have seen this book be mentioned earlier this season. these are nice games to relax to overall. The 'I give up' statement after that daily double find was funny granted he has been finding them (as is his style) even in not 'hotspot' areas. I mostly have been watching the questions deeply instead of the contestants but towards the end I did notice James was sounding slightly annoyed with even Ken slightly highlighting it. (which at least confirmed that it was not my head) I think that Final interview kind of shook him up (I am not even sure if it was sarcastic or not to be honest and I am not going to try to understand poker players). I love the 'hypeman comment' it was particularly enjoyable together with the ooo. oh and The ones and future king as the question for the final of the tournament was beautiful symbolism.
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:01 pm I missed every show and only have seen a couple of message threads. Our local ABC affiliate (KODE Joplin) is in a pissing match with DirecTV and I don't watch OTA because I'm spoiled by the DVR.

This post makes me want to look up the games and watch them. It also makes me want to vote for RKS for President. It's so refreshing to hear sincere positive comments and it elevates both parties. Thanks for the TLDR. I was always partial to Mattea as providing the most entertaining superchamp streak where you really didn't know what would happen.
same thing happened to my station for CBS at one point it was unpleasant. actually this happened with ABC A few times temporary and I was upset (I did not have a DVR then and dancing with the stars is something wanna watch live).

this was a very fun tournament I agree with Robert k s above on this being amazing tournament idea.

about the amount of jeopardy at one time, this was a lot. there is a reason I am writing a post to a thing that happened the about a month ago. (granted May was a busy month for me this year). also it was almost like no the channel had anything other than Jeopardy (except like one or two other shows or movies a week).

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:43 pm I understand it's mostly an act, but I'm tiring of James's villain schtick.
agreed I hope this 'phase' is done. part of with me wonders if it was actually his idea or a brand supervisors idea. (either personal brand or the chase) I will say it was not a good attempt but though it does should say on the fact that somepoint listing your former job gets ridiculous depending on your perspective.
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:18 am I read somewhere the charity donation was James’ idea.
almost all celebrity tournaments donate winnings to charities these days (by that I mean post 1990s and it was likely even slightly earlier than that). (smarter than the fifth grader might be the only exceptions and I was shocked when I read about that.) (unless you meant that sarcastically which then I look like a fool). granted I did not even notice it was for charity.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:54 pm With all due respect, imagine telling Tom Brady "Hey, you won the Super Bowl, you can't play again for a few years".
except that's a team sport. (I am not even against the winners coming back, but I feel like this argument has to be put perspective.) Tom Brady plays for the team he is signed to. (which in his case is not even the same one each time).
jamie wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:57 am James is terrific, but he's so good that he changes the nature of the game - every match is about him, and whether anyone else will be able to make it close enough to even have a chance at beating him. Some people are going to love that; others may not like it so much watching that year after year.
yeah I agree he definitely knows how to operate betting strategy to a Point that almost the knowledge is not even the biggest portion. really his only kryptonite is The person that be him the first time (put name later).
but even if there likely are other people who know how to toe to toe with him somewhere out there. it cannot be someone who just makes big bets it would have to be more of a strategist then a person that is smart (which is what a quiz show attracts).

anyhow hopefully they can return on wherever they owe with that to mahjongg with Mateja, mentioned in ep 3.

anyhow here is the epilogue. this epilogue is long but I am not going to even tried to cut this epilogue down anymore.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

(late note) by chance after I wrote this whole thing 20 times i ran across that The 64,000 question actually did this. in research for a possible Techaman blade fanfiction (to show how random it was to come across this, The inspiration was because why would a person even when it was made 1990s would even know if this show if not a gameshow fan to make such a reference.) I am not going to re-edit this whole thing (I am dangerously close to 'Neoposting') just know I realise I am mistaken. (I also made up some of these ideas before masters was even announced and was just a one line idea back in October for fun, which has given me many 'meal of fortune' predictive moments like the guy (Game 47) from the Jeopardy roadkill podcast episode over the course of this tournament.)

this is the epilogue probably long (probably the longest comment I will ever have here) but it is covering 10 episode and many ideas i had previously.
it took me awhile to figure out what everything right and wrong which is somewhat will need to write all the game post was super long but eventually I finally reremember it , somewhere at least.
I have probably written this 7 Times partially and 3 times completely. because I know this ideas walking a thinner line than usual. Before I even begin this I probably said there's someone else I write some of these paragraphs out of order (and in May) but in terms of what the producer asked in the podcast on why this was not done, we all know the reason this never was never done producer, this does not fit a 'post quiz scandal' world when the show came out. but since a lot of the stuff has healed it to a 'certain degree', we can explore this idea.

first order of business we need personalities (or at least multiple people to 'side with'). the way they did with the goat tournament work somehow better than this, actually in someways exhibition game worked somewhat better. (solely on the personality banter, The cadence of gameplay was horrid in 'controllable by the player' areas.) more on that later. having everyone be in a level which the cadence of the game works is important too. we want to see great players play great games and "be smart" as my mother put it correctly when talking about the goat tournament. but there still need to be something to 'fall back on' if people do not get questions correct. ('desperation' is what led to the 'incidents' in the first place).

in terms of the elephant in the room James why I talk about him even though his conduct was poor and should be discouraged. the way in principle James went about this was wrong and right at the same time. some aspects of wrestling culture possibly belong for a show like this and can improve it but not the ones he chose. (and he in The first episode also acted like a someone that had 10 packets of sugar which at least die down in the future episodes but other problem arose then.) The thing that a 'jeopardy masters brand' would need to get from wrestling would not be attacking people with throwing chairs or acting like you drink 10 Energy drinks at once. but the emotional attachment feeling for everything, emotional investment mentioned above that you can get from of seeing someone every (however often they chose) with the added aspect of a amazing game of knowledge. which has been done on these types of shows mostly for 1 player situations (with the returning champions) but not often for multiple players from what I know. but we need this for the majority of participants in this type of tournament.

this is when he gets to that "line" that I was talking over there that line that is the reason there is only one "main" quiz show in America "The scandal" (which is why I rewrote it so many times) but considering these are "known quantities" and relying on many players instead of 1 or 2 to Carry the future of the game. but the fact is this requires kid gloves with a balance between The personalities (A more 'controllable' factor) and Game (a better not be controllable factor) just in case something does not go as beautifully orchestrated as the goat tournament was. The producer is missing the point (A point that lead to game shows "original sin" at that). we need jeopardy with a established cast that compete with each other instead of new players (which seems to be what I think the idea he is pitching). of course if they did this 'long-term' having some surprise players would be good for shaking it up. as few other people pointed out it it would probably be good not to just have the same six people every single time. I mean imagine if previous champion could randomly show up and challenge other big names and seeing how the knowledge plays out.

it was hard to figure out considering a particular player took over so much and the "exhibition game" without him during the election had mat basically pressing the buzzer repetitively like a child but between these two i see hope. even in the nonsense that was exhibition game they were able to somewhat carry the game and that game was 'almost worst scenario' so pull back some of the 'theatrics' and give us the enjoyable personalities that can succeed and fail or even occasionally look like 'fools' (but fools that are trying) but always "bring it". hopefully these produces can learn from the lessons considering they have been making this mistakes since the 1950s. I think this is the best idea that came out of his mouth but (I had a section here in which I described all the players personalities as I saw them but got removed since I think it is not my place.) playing around with the game format may also be interesting. like a one round Game with no final jeopardy or messing with the amount clues. that might be a way to keep it fresh but in the spirit of jeopardy. (like how they have different type of matches in wrestling) not to mention shake up the strategy aspects.

something just seems off on this year's jeopardy masters attempt (like a adaptation muddled in translation rather than a failed pilot.). something I have been trying to figure out since 2/3 through The series. it was hard to figure out considering a particular player took over so much. I even considered "exhibition game" during the election (since James was not in it) but that had mat basically pressing the buzzer repetitively like a child (no way to sugarcoat it) but between these two i see hope. even in the nonsense that was exhibition game they were able to somewhat carry the game and that game was 'almost worst scenario' so pull back some of the 'theatrics' and give us the enjoyable personalities that can succeed and fail or even occasionally look like 'fools' (but fools that are trying) but always "bring it". hopefully these produces can learn from the lessons considering they have been making this mistakes since the 1950s. I think this is the best idea that came out of his mouth but (I had a section here in which I described all the players personalities as I saw them but got removed since I think it is not my place.) playing around with the game format may also be interesting. like a one round Game with no final jeopardy back or messing with the amount clues. which can 'shake up' the strategy aspects considering the amount of final Jeopardy strategy, that can be interesting.

I know this is a big pie in the sky endeavour. and when I wrote this I thought something like this would only exist in my notes but maybe it might happen. this would definitely be the step to make the players into the main characters as Alex used to put it approximately. The closeness of a establish cast with the competitiveness of a game show. and I think the saving grace of this idea (and why does can work with that 'rigging') is that we can rely on many known and proved players to Carry it rather than needing to tried to "force" the 'next great player'. (which is the biggest problem in the whole three slots every year thing). I would love to hear if anyone else has any views with what I say or can you give your idea on what is missing that I might have missed myself. that is the beauty of this forum after all. The ability to point out what some of us might have missed. and I guess that is the end this year for Jeopardy masters.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:11 pm
cf1140 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 pm Is reddit going to criticize the host for not connecting James response to The Once and Future King? Clearly the host is not cut out for this job.
Maybe he didn't want to rub in the fact that James's answer was off by 5 centuries? Not sure but it's a theory.
He did say "It's too early for T.H. White" which definitely isn't rubbing it in but does indicate awareness of the situation.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

It's not the part where you found a contestant irritating so much as the part where you announced that fact and celebrated the contestant's loss. There have been a few contestants over the years who have really rubbed me the wrong way. From the couch I have been less than thrilled if they won, relieved if they lost. I would feel petty and churlish if I announced my distaste in a public forum that could be read by said contestants and their mothers.

I think a good rule of thumb is to cheer for the ones you like and either keep quiet or find something positive to say about the ones who bug you. That's certainly how I hope to be treated if I'm ever on the show. Not that I expect to be disliked by any of the 9+ million viewers, of course. I'm sure I will be universally beloved.