Summer Repeats

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Summer Repeats

Post by chuck5982 »

Just checked my program guide, and the first event to be re-run this summer is the Tournament of Champions.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Repeats

Post by legendneverdies »

They didn't rerun the 2010 TofC that SUmmer, so this is good to them see rerunning this. I suspect they'll rerun the Power Players' week, which means that one of the tourney reruns will only see the second week repeated. I can't imagine them not rerunning Teen or COllege.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

legendneverdies wrote:They didn't rerun the 2010 TofC that SUmmer, so this is good to them see rerunning this. I suspect they'll rerun the Power Players' week, which means that one of the tourney reruns will only see the second week repeated. I can't imagine them not rerunning Teen or COllege.
Probably the Teen 2nd week if they do that route. I'd personally rather have Kids Week been last week or something to make up for it.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:They didn't rerun the 2010 TofC that SUmmer, so this is good to them see rerunning this. I suspect they'll rerun the Power Players' week, which means that one of the tourney reruns will only see the second week repeated. I can't imagine them not rerunning Teen or COllege.
Probably the Teen 2nd week if they do that route. I'd personally rather have Kids Week been last week or something to make up for it.
At least with Kids Week being when it is, I'm pretty sure it won't be rerun, as it's too recent.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Last SUmmer two days of kids' week were rerun as a companion piece to the three Watson shows to fill out one week of Summer reruns(last Summer had seven weeks of reruns, which pushed the season premiere one week later than usual). Kids week was in early July last season.
bassoabsurdo
Contributor

Post by bassoabsurdo »

I don't know if anyone is following these, but I had a question as far as the recent episode on which Joon dominated.

NOTABLE GROUPS
Harpo Marx was among this group when it met in NYC's Rose Room for its final time, in 1943, & found there was nothing left to say.

I don't know if this is worth putting in a spoiler or not, but just to be safe...
Spoiler
Joon correctly answered Algonquin Round Table. Would The Round Table have been accepted as well? How does that work as far as appeals/challenges on Final Jeopardy!? And would I have had to be able to explain that Algonquin was merely the name of the restaurant? (Which I'm not sure I could have at the time, I was struggling to remember).
Thanks for anyone that can offer help or insight.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bassoabsurdo wrote:I don't know if anyone is following these, but I had a question as far as the recent episode on which Joon dominated.

NOTABLE GROUPS
Harpo Marx was among this group when it met in NYC's Rose Room for its final time, in 1943, & found there was nothing left to say.

I don't know if this is worth putting in a spoiler or not, but just to be safe...
Spoiler
Joon correctly answered Algonquin Round Table. Would The Round Table have been accepted as well? How does that work as far as appeals/challenges on Final Jeopardy!? And would I have had to be able to explain that Algonquin was merely the name of the restaurant? (Which I'm not sure I could have at the time, I was struggling to remember).
Thanks for anyone that can offer help or insight.
The discussion from the 11/4/11 game's intital run is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=355
legendneverdies

Spoiler
ROund Table wouldn't have been accepted without the Algonquin I don't think, the King Arthur Round Table and all that.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Next event will be the Teachers' Tournament.
legendneverdies

Unusual for them not to run Teen and/or College tourney. Seems at least one of them will not get rerun.
bassoabsurdo
Contributor

Post by bassoabsurdo »

MarkBarrett wrote:
The discussion from the 11/4/11 game's intital run is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=355
Thanks. Sounds like the consensus was that Round Table is a go.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

legendneverdies wrote:Unusual for them not to run Teen and/or College tourney. Seems at least one of them will not get rerun.
Well, it's unusual (or "the new usual") for them to have four tournaments in a season. I don't have to tell you this, but the last times a season saw a fourth two-week tournament, it was the Seniors Tournament, and it came right at the end of the season, presumably so it could accompany the season's earlier tournaments' reruns without being rerun itself. Now that we don't have the stability of a strictly annual ToC, it seems like the other tournaments have become movable feasts and they can't/won't repeat the old arrangement.

That said, I'm guessing that they'll show College along with Teachers, i.e. the two ToC-qualifying tournaments.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Unusual for them not to run Teen and/or College tourney. Seems at least one of them will not get rerun.
Well, it's unusual (or "the new usual") for them to have four tournaments in a season. I don't have to tell you this, but the last times a season saw a fourth two-week tournament, it was the Seniors Tournament, and it came right at the end of the season, presumably so it could accompany the season's earlier tournaments' reruns without being rerun itself. Now that we don't have the stability of a strictly annual ToC, it seems like the other tournaments have become movable feasts and they can't/won't repeat the old arrangement.

That said, I'm guessing that they'll show College along with Teachers, i.e. the two ToC-qualifying tournaments.
IMHO, it would have made more sense to end the rerun season with the ToC, after showing the College and Teachers. ("You've seen Erin and Charles win their tournaments. How well do they do in the next level, the Tournament of Champions? Find out on Monday!")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Erin's and Charles's tournaments were in season 27 and reran last summer. It's Monica's and Patrick's that (I presume) will rerun.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

In which season was the Seniors Tournament? :?:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think there were tournaments from 1987 to 1996; i.e. seasons 3-12.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:I think there were tournaments from 1987 to 1996; i.e. seasons 3-12.
Yes, for 3-12. The last seniors tournament was held in December 1995 while the others closed the season with the winner of course making the TOC field.
legendneverdies

The 1987 and 1988 Seniors Tournaments didn't end the seasons, it aired in May Sweeps those seasons, with the Teens airing in Feb Sweeps. When the COllege tourney debuted in 1989, it became the May sweeps event for several years with the Seniors tourney being moved to the last two weeks of the season through 1994-95. I think the reason the Seniors tourney aired when it did in the 1995-96 season is WOF and J!'s Olympics sponsorship, and they wanted to have the Olympic Games tourney coincide with the week the Olympics opened(it aired 7/15-7/18, with a regular game airing on 7/19 to avoid possible preemptions of J! that night where it aired on NBC stations)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:The 1987 and 1988 Seniors Tournaments didn't end the seasons, it aired in May Sweeps those seasons, with the Teens airing in Feb Sweeps. When the COllege tourney debuted in 1989, it became the May sweeps event for several years with the Seniors tourney being moved to the last two weeks of the season through 1994-95. I think the reason the Seniors tourney aired when it did in the 1995-96 season is WOF and J!'s Olympics sponsorship, and they wanted to have the Olympic Games tourney coincide with the week the Olympics opened(it aired 7/15-7/18, with a regular game airing on 7/19 to avoid possible preemptions of J! that night where it aired on NBC stations)
Thanks Zach, I had checked the archive to see if the Zeke tourney began in July 1987 and guessed when I found no hits. In checking other seasons I was surprised to only find one seniors game in the archive for a measly 1%.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was checking ahead in the TV schedule to see what the donkey side of things will do to network viewing. The second week of the teen tournament is listed for Sept. 3-5 to leave the 10th-14th for something else.