Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Mayim to no longer host syndicated Jeopardy!

Post by OrchidEntity »

I'm okay with having just the one syndie host with Ken. I like the consistency.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Yeah, it was obvious the "split hosts" model wasn't going to be viable in syndication from the moment it was announced in 2022. That was splitting the baby on Sony's part.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm (wanking motion)
AP's posting history summed up
The guy with 4000 posts about wagering would know.
Ah yes, the ultimate in wankery... [checks notes] arithmetic

P.S. Did you count my posts, or did you take a cue from Sarah McNitt?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t think the split hosting thing was going to work. There was no on air comment when they switched so a new host popping in would be a surprise to non-social media types. Having a different host for the celebrity editions would be fine but not for the syndicated version.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:55 pm I’m sure that is all true. They also retaliated against her because of the stand she took.
The timing makes me suspect the latter. Her union support is understandable (like Wheaton's, without the threats) since she's been doing this since childhood. Sony is quite comfortable working with people who feel that way. If not, they're in the wrong business.

All your ad hominems, though... not convincing at all.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:31 pm
AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm (wanking motion)
AP's posting history summed up
The guy with 4000 posts about wagering would know.
Have you considered taking a break?
Talking to yourself again?
The International Man of Mystery, where the mystery is whether he has any comebacks that aren't variations on "I know you are, but what am I?"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ahem. Can we take this back to a civilized discourse, please?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:31 pm Ahem. Can we take this back to a civilized discourse, please?
But I had a good gif that I wanted to use. :-(
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

The Scab term is elastic. There is no set-in-stone definition regardless of any social media bravado. Some claim it has to be replacing the striking workers, some say it's just crossing the picket line. People are allowed to call contestants scabs for crossing the picket line. The contestants are allowed to not care one bit.

Game show hosts like Drew and Wayne and Pat that kept working is different from Jeopardy because those shows don't have striking writers. There's no picket line for them to cross.

Comparing Mayim to the TOCers who didn't want to cross is apples and oranges. Ray wasn't punished because others joined him and Sony couldn't punish a group that big. No one joined Mayim so she was vulnerable as a lone wolf.

If I'm sounding super pro-union I'm really not.

I'll support reasonable rights like Attica and I'll support Jeopardy writers because they create the content for my favorite show, but I'm not with wga/sag as a whole.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:31 pm Ahem. Can we take this back to a civilized discourse, please?
I apologize for my compulsion to respond to AP's wanking motions.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

cf1140 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:46 pm The Scab term is elastic. There is no set-in-stone definition regardless of any social media bravado. Some claim it has to be replacing the striking workers, some say it's just crossing the picket line. People are allowed to call contestants scabs for crossing the picket line. The contestants are allowed to not care one bit.

Game show hosts like Drew and Wayne and Pat that kept working is different from Jeopardy because those shows don't have striking writers. There's no picket line for them to cross.

Comparing Mayim to the TOCers who didn't want to cross is apples and oranges. Ray wasn't punished because others joined him and Sony couldn't punish a group that big. No one joined Mayim so she was vulnerable as a lone wolf.

If I'm sounding super pro-union I'm really not.

I'll support reasonable rights like Attica and I'll support Jeopardy writers because they create the content for my favorite show, but I'm not with wga/sag as a whole.
Never let it be said that I won't admit when I'm wrong.

I'll admit that I was wrong in some areas when I was more focused on trying to create compelling arguments. I am no longer interested in continuing my argument with Austin.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

AndyTheQuizzer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:16 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:32 am
Austin Powers wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:27 am I doubt being pro Israel is going to get her in trouble with Hollywood suits, but who knows these days.

More likely of the fact that she is not a scab.

So that’s unfortunate. I don’t think she was a great host, but I hate to think she lost her job because she was not a scab.
Tara Strong got canned from a show for pro-israel activity, and that was just a voiceover role. Mayim didn't just make pro-Israel comments; she was actively getting involved in agenda-driven campaigns. Jeopardy is a daytime game show that is supposed to be apart from any hot-button issues as that would distract from the contestants. I am not judging her but I would do the same thing if I were in Sony's shoes.

The irony here is that Ken himself has a suitcase full of the most typical baggage that does get celebrities fired, and I'm not talking about any quote with the word 'wheelchair.'
According to reports from Hollywood insiders, specifically Matthew Belloni of The Puck, Mayim's not hosting the last four weeks of Season 39 was specifically mentioned as a contributing factor, while her social media activity was conspicuously absent from these reports.
Are you running PR for the show? You have your own sources and at first on your website you write you don't think it's retaliation for the strike. Then when social media overwhelmingly assumes its *the other reason* with some celebrating and others calling for a boycott you change tune and run with all these anonymous-sourced reports and try to deflect.

This doesn't pass the smell test and the math aint mathin. If Call Me Kat's scheduling is an issue, then it would make sense to drop Mayim before Kat was cancelled, not after. Ken hosted for 23 consecutive weeks to begin season 39 (taping wise a longer streak since the HSRT was filmed out of order). So there was plenty of time last season to make a determination then that "only one host was needed."

If the strike was the main reason, they could have notified Mayim before 10/7 or just informed after the season tapes in May. At least a delay until after the Emmys. The fact the same writers who were so touched by Mayim's solidarity move that "meant so much to them" don't have her back obviously points away from that theory.

Another incorrect tidbit from these articles is the emphasis on 3 years. Mayim had a one-year contract for Season 38. She mentioned it many times she's only contracted thru May (of that year) and after that she's hopeful she'll return but she just doesn't know past May. She even said that on the red carpet. So if she has a three-year contract it would conclude at season 41's end, not the current season.

What about Ken's strike performance has changed that has him "earning" the solitary role? The ratings have decreased, not increased. Mayim had 9 unplayed clues in her 11 weeks regular play weeks last year. Ken followed with 9 unplayed clues in just the next 4 weeks. A simple search of the word "reversed" in the archive shows that judges have to correct Ken's mistakes much more often than Mayim. What has improved? That he stopped giving hints or influencing wagers?

All signs point to the other reason. This feels like Sony trying to deflect from the debate and the "boycott" [that likely wouldn't even dent the ratings].
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

I don't think accusing him of "running PR" after he chewed out a mod on the subreddit for calling him a "PR flack" (he even cited it as "the single most offensive claim to journalistic credibility that has ever been made of me") is a good idea.

And, frankly, how would you know the ratings decline was caused by Ken?

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 am A simple search of the word "reversed" in the archive shows that judges have to correct Ken's mistakes much more often than Mayim.
Hold on, a reversal isn't the only "mistake" a host might make. There are also retapes, for one thing. And certainly not all reversals are the fault of the host.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's highly unusual for a daily game show to have two concurrent hosts who regularly swap out hosting duties. (Has it ever happened in the history of television?) I tend to agree with those that say Mayim's hiring was Sony's way of splitting the baby when the succession choice was initially made in August 2021. It smelled heavily of a choice made to soften the criticism of Mike Richards naming himself sole host. Everyone could have seen that dual (dueling?) hosts wasn't a tenable situation, long-term, and that may have even been Richards' nefarious plan all along, to hire her but with the intent of easing himself into being ensconced as sole host.

There would have been plenty of justified business reasons for letting Mayim go, independent of her principled stances (on the strike, on the Middle East, on whatever else): consistency for the sake of the audience and short-term and long-term cost-cutting among them. The fact that she was, on balance, not the audience favorite between two decent choices (even if not by a wide margin) must have played the biggest role in sealing her fate. No one can reasonably doubt that Mayim was unfairly subject to a social media echo chamber that was at least partly driven by misogynistic participants. She may even have been victim of editing decisions that could have culled her various faux pas, such as long pauses before making rulings, often very obvious rulings. (An editor of a sitcom would not have failed to edit out pauses between line deliveries.) But whatever the case, keeping her and saying goodbye to Ken would have been the worse of two options for arriving at a single host, as the show ultimately must have.

If she had been the audience favorite and/or if she had been a more cost-effective option between herself and Ken, we could start to look to retaliation as the principal factor in this decision. From our outside perspective we may never be able to eliminate it as a factor, perhaps a subconscious one, perhaps contributing to the timing if not to the decision itself. I have appreciated all the discussion and the different viewpoints in this thread and every participant here has brought something worth consideration. But because making Ken the sole host of the syndicated show was the right decision, almost the inevitable decision, for a plethora of reasons, to suggest that letting Mayim go was pure retaliation doesn't make a lot of sense.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Do I remember it wrong that Mayim was hired as host to replace Richards ("the host of Jeopardy") and Ken was her fill-in when she was taping Kat ("hosting Jeopardy"), then the next season, Ken was elevated to full co-host? I thought this was confirmed on the podcast at some point.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:24 pm Do I remember it wrong that Mayim was hired as host to replace Richards ("the host of Jeopardy") and Ken was her fill-in when she was taping Kat ("hosting Jeopardy"), then the next season, Ken was elevated to full co-host? I thought this was confirmed on the podcast at some point.
Define "Jeopardy!" The August 2021 announcement was that Richards would host the syndicated version and Mayim would host primetime specials.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:27 am ...
But because making Ken the sole host of the syndicated show was the right decision, almost the inevitable decision, for a plethora of reasons, to suggest that letting Mayim go was pure retaliation doesn't make a lot of sense.
While I agree with the first part of this conclusion, I don't agree with the ending.

The timing is too suspect. Davies has not made good decisions during his tenure. The abandoning of new contestants for these incessant tournaments of additional chances. The watering down of the franchise's crown jewel (the ToC). The lack of clarity with hosting in general. And the handling of this decision about Mayim. It could be argued that it's better to have her doing Celebrity Jeopardy on its own because it's a very different animal and Ken shouldn't be part of that brand. It could also be argued that it's ludicrous to have the Celebrity winner invited to the ToC.

Suspect decisions and Michael Davies walk hand in hand.

While I'm glad to see Ken made the permanent host, I seriously doubt that Davies followed a logical outline in making that decision. He wants his imprint on the brand far more than he wants the brand to thrive.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:03 pm He wants his imprint on the brand far more than he wants the brand to thrive.
So did Mike Richards, ironically.

It's clear Davies doesn't have much genuine love for the show as he claims (remember, actions speak louder than words); his decisions are very obviously out of pride, not love, and contrary to what some people think, I truly believe he needs to go as well. I think you summed up my thoughts well.

But I digress. Back to Mayim.
Last edited by Trevor807 on Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!