Tournament of Champions Thoughts Before Taping

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Tournament of Champions Thoughts Before Taping

Post by MarkBarrett »

The ToC tapes next week, so this is the weekend to think about things before the event occurs.

Andy has a preview at The Jeopardy Fan: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2024/02/31st ... eview.html

I find it hard not wonder how the players will be divided.

Group A would be:
21x Cris
13x Ray
9x Ben C.
8x Hannah & Stephen
6x Troy & Suresh
5x Luigi & Ben G.

Group B:
4x Matthew & David
3x Yogesh, Sean, Emmett, Jake, Brian, Melissa, Jared, Kevin

Group C:
Celeb J! Ike
HSRT Justin
CWCs Josh, Emily, Nick, Yungsheng, Juveria, Feb. 22

While the 9 in Group A is a perfect way to separate the big winners, there are 10 in B and 8 in C. Moving Kevin as the 3x with the lowest total to C would make sense?

After that there are considerations to avoid games where players already competed against each other and spreading out the four women into separate QF games. Perhaps games with three guys will be in QF 1, 3, 5, 7, & 9? Depending on who wins the last CWC it could be the all-men games are the even numbered ones.

It will be interesting to see where Ike plays. Protect the one celeb as much as possible and put him in Group A away from the top seeds and move Ben G. down?

Feed Ike to the wolves and do him no favors to face something like an 8x & 4x?

I would like to think the CWC winners would be placed similarly against a 3x or 4x and one of the Group A.

Does Cris as top seed getting a match that looks extra favorable such as two 3x champs?

Will the powers give extra sway to Reddit posts and who fans there seem to prefer?

By the end someone is going to Masters and we'll see if the other non-winning finalists go to JIT.

Going by the last ToC there will be games according to Hoyle and other ones with surprises. When it gets down to the semis there should be a solid core group that seem capable of winning the whole thing.

Good luck to all the players to enjoy the experience and put on great shows for viewers both in the studio audience and those later watching at home.

Time will tell if something Shakespeare throws a wrench in the works.
Game Girl
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tournament of Champions Thoughts Before Taping

Post by Game Girl »

this is an interesting look at things but I am not even sure how this Masters is even going to work. I do not think there is even time to make a jit. even I can figure that out with 0 hours of sleep. according to other theories they are trying to save everything before march madness (which afterwards will leave a little time before May). is the jit going to be in prime time because I was really the only way this is working unless they move the masters. granted moving the masters would probably be a good thing since it distracted from the regular season since it was really heavy scheduling. (I almost feel sorry for anyone off-line who had to listen to me talk about Jeopardy because that was like the only thing on the TV at the time)

I really wish they could just send some of these people to next year just like they sent everyone from season 37 to this year. he might have a problem with not having a post season every year but he definitely does not have a problem mixing up the season so why stop now. particularly when it makes sense and we have a list about 2 players long as of this post. (that is not even enough people to make a game)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

If LL, OQL and WQC results are any indicator of overall quizzing brilliance as it translates to Jeopardy!, the finalists will be Troy Meyer, Yogesh Raut and someone else. Looking forward to this tournament in a way I haven't probably since learning Vijay Balse used to be in fight club.
In and out of the pool four times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:34 pm If LL, OQL and WQC results are any indicator of overall quizzing brilliance as it translates to Jeopardy!, the finalists will be Troy Meyer, Yogesh Raut and someone else. Looking forward to this tournament in a way I haven't probably since learning Vijay Balse used to be in fight club.
Bill, if that be your metric, then Long Nguyen would likely be your third. All 3 are in the upper echelon of both LL and OQLUSA. But…. Buzzer speed means a whole lot in J! and folks like Juveria look faster to me. I say this despite having my ass handed to me in buzzer-mediated events by all 3 aforementioned quiz mavens, but that is a pretty low bar.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I can't speak to 2024 Troy, but c. 2007 Troy was the fastest gun in the West.

Wonder if the rain in L.A. affected any contestants' travel.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Feels like The Highlander, doesn’t it? A gathering of immortals. Perhaps even a decapitation or two.

Here we are, born to be kings
We're the princes of the universe

Troy in a walk.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:25 am Feels like The Highlander, doesn’t it? A gathering of immortals. Perhaps even a decapitation or two.

Here we are, born to be kings
We're the princes of the universe
Amazing album "A Kind of Magic" from the movie.

Can I play the Kurgan when a contestant doesn't try to win the game? :twisted: :D
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Troy can play the Kurgan, he needs to walk in and say,

"These contestants are weak. They will always be weaker than I."