FJs for the 2/5/24 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/5/24 week?

Poll runs till Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:49 pm

The flag of this Asian nation features part of a World Heritage Site built in the 12th century
73%
A 1902 work says an enigmatic character has a half-English mom & a half-French dad, but this name of his is German for "short"
14%
Achilles Tatius wrote that it "was like a mountain... at the top of this mountain rose a second sun"
61%
"It was kind of a prodding to myself to play it straight", said Johnny Cash of this 1956 hit
57%
It's this character who's spoken of in the line "Reader, I forgave him at the moment & on the spot"
24%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
8%
ACTUALLY, THIS MY FIRST RODEO $800: I thought it would be longer, but a male rider only has to stay on a bronc this long to get a score in a rough stock event
65%
IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! $2000 box DD: During World War II, one job of the Howard DGA-15 was as a Navy air ambulance with this bird name that's associated with nursing
59%
____ OF ____ $2000: Yom Kippur is also known by this name because it's set aside to repent & ask for forgiveness
73%
"A 1902 work" was the most helpful part for me on the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
"has a half-English mom & a half-French dad" was the most helpful part for me on the Tuesday FJ! clue.
No votes
German for "short" was the most helpful part for me on the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
The Colossus of Rhodes was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
Something about the Giza Pyramid(s) was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
18%
"A Boy Named Sue" was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
8%
"Ring Of Fire" was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
10%
"Folsom Prison Blues" was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
20%
"Walk The Line" instead of "I Walk The Line" cost me solving the Thursday FJ! clue.
4%
Mr. Darcy was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
27%
I credit the Luke Perry movie for knowing the rodeo clue about 8 seconds.
16%
NUMERICAL TELEVISION $1000: Would you believe these were the 2 code numbers used by the 2 main CONTROL agents fighting KAOS on "Get Smart!" - I was correct with 86 & 99.
73%
NUMERICAL TELEVISION $1000: Would you believe these were the 2 code numbers used by the 2 main CONTROL agents fighting KAOS on "Get Smart!" - I knew 86 or 99 but not both.
16%

Total votes: 49

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/5/24 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD FLAGS

2/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The flag of this Asian nation features part of a World Heritage Site built in the 12th century

2/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS

2/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1902 work says an enigmatic character has a half-English mom & a half-French dad, but this name of his is German for "short"

2/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD

2/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Achilles Tatius wrote that it "was like a mountain... at the top of this mountain rose a second sun"

2/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRY MUSIC

2/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"It was kind of a prodding to myself to play it straight", said Johnny Cash of this 1956 hit

2/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL CHARACTERS

2/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's this character who's spoken of in the line "Reader, I forgave him at the moment & on the spot"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Cambodia
Kurtz
the Lighthouse at Alexandria
"I Walk The Line"
Mr. Rochester
The players were 3/15 (20.00%) with a 2-0-0-0-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have triple stumpers sandwiching a missed Daily Double.

ACTUALLY, THIS MY FIRST RODEO $800: I thought it would be longer, but a male rider only has to stay on a bronc this long to get a score in a rough stock event

IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! $2000 box DD: During World War II, one job of the Howard DGA-15 was as a Navy air ambulance with this bird name that's associated with nursing

____ OF ____ $2000: Yom Kippur is also known by this name because it's set aside to repent & ask for forgiveness

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
8 seconds
Nightingale
Day of Atonement
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/5/24 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess on Tuesday & Friday with “A Boy Named Sue” on Thursday.

The Luke Perry movie was the first time I learned of 8 seconds, but I’ve come across it in other ways since then.

No problem with the secret agent numbers
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Klein (desperation guess, no book in mind), Darcy. Considered both the Pyramid and Colossus but went with the Lighthouse. No doubt on the Cash song title; wasn't surprised to see contestants name the movie instead.

Eight seconds comes up in a lot of songs about rodeo, so even if the Lane Frost movie was the first I heard of it (possible), I'd have picked it up by now.

Had 99 but not 86.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :oops:

Sadly I Walk the Line was about the only Johnny Cash hit that didn't come to mind...I'd like to think I'd have gotten the title right...
Yikes on the extras! I remembered the Luke Perry movie, but wasn't sure enough about the number of seconds, so I clammed...I've never heard the idea of such a quick ride as metaphor in some other field, and I'm still hoping someone will share an example of such a usage... :roll:
For Yom Kippur, I couldn't shake Day of Repentance from my head, already in the clue...
I must have been asleep on the Get Smart clue, by the time I understood what it was looking for it was too late. But I think the show was the first I ever saw on a color television!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :| :|

Tue - (nada)
Thu - Ring of Fire
Fri - (nada)

Knew 8 seconds from actually watching rodeo. Luke Perry not necessary
Got 185
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No character FJs for me this week. I recognized the format of the Jane Eyre quote but I guess I didn't have it attached to the right novel/author/decade. I thought it was 8 seconds, but the wording of the clue scared me into guessing a shorter time. I clammed on 86 and 99, but I had them both so I checked the box. I'd have left it unchecked if it had been one of the three extras.

On Friday, the J! round finished with a clue about the Slinky, which got my dad quoting the commercial jingle, and I remembered the ads for the Isuzu Amigo that adapted and/or parodied it in their own jingle which I sang for him, finishing with "it's fun for a girl and a boy," which my dad then altered in his silly way to "for a Jew and a goy." I then remembered working in choir on Leonard Bernstein's Chichester Psalms (which got scrapped in 2020 when everything shut down), which included the Hebrew "lama rag'shu goyim" ("why do the nations rage"). So then during DJ, when Day of Atonement was going stand-and-stare, I said, "Speaking of goyim..."
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tuesday - no clue
Wednesday - Colossus of Rhodes
Thursday - Folsom Prison Blues

I am old so I knew Agents 86 and 99

Surprised Day of Atonement was a triple stumper
Leander

Post by Leander »

No chance Tuesday
Totally forgot that "I Walk The Line" was part of the Cash catalogue, and went with "Ring of Fire"
Connected the "Reader" phrase to the wrong author (Austen) and said Mr. Darcy

Knew 86 and 99.

I would chime in on surprise that Day of Atonement was a TS.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Missed Tuesday because of the incorrect year in the clue.

Knew "8 seconds" from the movie.

Got 86 and 99.
I would prefer not to.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: : :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Matching the majority.
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Watched plenty of Get Smart reruns as a boy.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week for me in FJ. Let's just forget it and move on to the next. Playing along at home, you can do that.