LL 100

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL 100

Post by ouachiouat »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:15 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 am I dismissed Moses and Jesus a little too quickly
I knew it was a stretch but I went with "hymn," hoping the prophet was 'Him.' Certainly Jesus is described often as "him," but I guess not specific enough. Never heard Mosaic in reference to Moses, but it makes sense.
I went with Jeremiad, which I'm still not sure if it fits the clue or not. I won anyway, but it wasn't pretty.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:35 pm If you write poetry while drinking lambic, is it lambic pentameter?
It might depend on how much lambic you've consumed. :lol:
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 am I dismissed Moses and Jesus a little too quickly and decided it was a fancy art term I'd never heard of (like triptych which I learned in my first season on LL).
There’s also ‘diptych’, which I’ve always enjoyed since it sounds vaguely like an insult.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yesterday I broke my streak of getting four right in each match—by getting three right. I'm glad I pulled off a first place finish last season, because this one isn't going well (although I was #23 at the midpoint of last season, so who knows).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mennoknight wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:11 am what's the record for ties in a season? I'm at 4 after 6 days.
14 or 15, I think.
seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:08 pm Yesterday I broke my streak of getting four right in each match—by getting three right. I'm glad I pulled off a first place finish last season, because this one isn't going well (although I was #23 at the midpoint of last season, so who knows).
3 has been my mode, so far. I've had 3, 3, 3, 3, 1, and 3.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I lost to a six-pack yesterday. That was an impressive set to run the tables on if you ask me, made all the more impressive by the fact that my opponent was from Australia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:18 pm I lost to a six-pack yesterday. That was an impressive set to run the tables on if you ask me, made all the more impressive by the fact that my opponent was from Australia.
Yeah, I was up against someone with a .908 get rate. I was hoping against hope that he didn't know contraposto either (I knew the other 5). No such luck; he drank the beer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At least I won’t go 0-25 as I managed a 2(3)-2(3) tie.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I got my first win yesterday, though I had already managed one tie. I believe my 0-6 day last week was my first ever (forfeits aside). I might have guessed Central African Empire if it were a better day overall, but I seem to lack that indomitable spirit with which you fight just as hard for 0(1) as you do for 9(6).

I did get that La Mancha was the location, but if it's not on Cheez Doodles, it's not really a cheese, AFAIAC. Looking back, "farce" and "True Grit" shouldn't have been so hard.

I thought Madonna made much more sense than Eminem yesterday.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Lefty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm I thought Madonna made much more sense than Eminem yesterday.
I assume, then, that you are unfamiliar with the lyrics to "Lose Yourself" and the thousands of memes they've generated.

I knew I had posted this in the FJ Clues thread, but it took me a long-dang-time to find it:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 pm CURRENT EVENTS

The meals seen here were donated to coronavirus-fighting healthcare workers at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital, by this performer

Spoiler
Who is Eminem?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:18 am
Lefty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm I thought Madonna made much more sense than Eminem yesterday.
I assume, then, that you are unfamiliar with the lyrics to "Lose Yourself" and the thousands of memes they've generated.
In fact, I'd been saying "me me" until recently. But Michigan, plus "Ciccone", plus "Mom's"? It's almost tragic that Madonna was wrong.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Lefty wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:55 am
In fact, I'd been saying "me me" until recently. But Michigan, plus "Ciccone", plus "Mom's"? It's almost tragic that Madonna was wrong.
Ciccone doesn't appear in the question though?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:11 am
Lefty wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:55 am
Ciccone doesn't appear in the question though?
That was my thought, and then I decided Lefty meant that knowing Madonna's last name is Italian made her an attractive choice.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Inexplicably, I am undefeated with 8-0-1 record in WTF D2. I landed Einstein, Sky, and Eminem guesses. I must have heard about the Einstein tidbit on NPR at some time. The Sky guess came from watching Tour de France and hearing it was a media company of some kind.

Actually, my lucky streak is very explicable - I've had the easiest schedule with only 14 CAA from my opponents, and the toughest schedule is 29 CAA.

The important thing on MD9 is that I didn't let mahatma down with a wheelhouse miss for his three assignment in the tank rundle :o . After attending about 100 beekeeping club meetings, building an apiary for our Apis mellifera colonies, and helping twelvefootgirl with 18 hives, I managed to overthink the question (because of Hymenoptera) and answered "moths" :roll: . mahatma skillfully used opposite opposite logic, and gave me the three on manifest destiny which was an instaget :) . It's been tougher days to give threes the last couple of days.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A 3 on where Scott Kelly spent some time was a nice gift this morning to get me a third win of the season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:02 am A 3 on where Scott Kelly spent some time was a nice gift this morning to get me a third win of the season.
My third win was thanks to my opponent thinking I knew anything about Taylor Swift's next album and giving me 0, which was nice after I gave Thursday's opponent a 9(5) and "saved" myself from tying him with 9(6) when I talked myself out of Abe. ("Not sumo wrestlers; I'd recognize at least one of these names. Maybe prime ministers, and it's Abe? [types in 'Abe'] I never heard of him holding the office twice. I don't recognize any of these as rulers' names, and why would one be in there twice? Oh! The Meiji Restoration! It must be called that because his rule was interrupted! [deletes 'Abe,' types in 'Meiji']")
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My misery continues as I fall to 0-8-1 on the season.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Still waiting on my third win, a 9(6) wasn't enough; I got matched up against one of the 10 others :roll:

I didn't think 'leaders' for Abe; recognized none of them. I thought 'Sports awards winners' and put down Ohtani (thinking it may have been covering the 2010s or so).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:42 am I didn't think 'leaders' for Abe; recognized none of them.
I figured the only thing he's really going to ask about are dynasties, emperors, or PMs. The first two seemed fairly easy to eliminate and Abe is the only PM who I could name, so ...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:42 am I didn't think 'leaders' for Abe; recognized none of them.
I figured the only thing he's really going to ask about are dynasties, emperors, or PMs. The first two seemed fairly easy to eliminate and Abe is the only PM who I could name, so ...
I guessed Meiji, since it had been restored at one time.

I guessed "Patriots' Day" for the Swift album based on the release date. Also, the wrong AFC team might account for some of the unexpectedness.

One area where I have been lucky this season is that my submission failures haven't cost me any match points. The other day I had to reenter because too much time had passed, and omitted "Lorraine" the second time.