Champions Wildcard Play-In Game 3, February 2, 2024, Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Champions Wildcard Play-In Game 3, February 2, 2024, Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Champions Wildcard Play-In Game 3, February 2, 2024, Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Champions Wildcard Play-In Game 3, February 2, 2024, Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Then 71, a reluctant Michelangelo took on the design of this building "only for the love of God and in honor of the Apostle"

Eric Anderson 11800-2601=9199
Ed Petersen 7200+7200=14400 (Quarter-Finalist)
Ilena Di Toro 6600+5200=11801

Correct response:
Spoiler
St. Peter's Basilica (Eric - Sistine Chapel)

Daily Doubles
Eric 1200-1200
Ed 3200-2200
Ed 4200+2200

Coryats
Eric 13,000
Ed 8,400
Ilena 6,600

Combined: 28,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Eric 2,600
Ed 2,800
Ilena 2,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another 28,000 combined Coryat.

Good game and Buzzy did give out a score check when the DDs played.

If I had seen the FJ! clue I would have avoided writing Eric's miss at first and gone straight to match Ed & Ilena which I quickly realized was a good switch to make.

Knowing the NATO alphabet is an easy study for J! players as it does come up on the show every so often. Glad it played fine in this game.

Ed will play on TV on Feb. 8th.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8792

For a third time, the categories were recycled.

IDEAS FOR TOURISM CAMPAIGNS is from #5825 ($400 was modified to name a glacier instead of towns; $200, $800, and $1000 were new)
BROADWAY HIT ALIASES is from #7031 ($1000 was a real J!6)
SCIENTIFIC & MEDICAL ABBREV. is from #7327 ($600 was modified so as not to give GM foods a good name)
OCCUPATIONS is from #7602 ($400 was a real J!6, and similar to many other clues, such as ROCKS & MINERALS $400 in #1496; "hamadryad" was changed to "cobra" in $800)
H.P. SAUCE is H.P. from #7420 ($200 was modified to eliminate its being a video clue; $800 was a real J!6)
NATO PHONETIC ALPHABET CODE WORDS is from #7263 ($200 and $400 were new)

LITERATURE is from #7436 ($400 and $1200 are new)
PICK YOUR POISON is from #4152 ($800 is a J!6; $1600 was modified)
RHYMING FOLKS is from #5600 ($400 was a J!6)
MISCELLANY is not from any identifiable prior category and may be made up of all J!6's
WILL YOU STILL NEED "ME" and WHEN I'M 64 are from #4676 ("64" $1600 was modified away from being an audio clue)

MISCELLANY $1600, "This British make of car that James Bond enjoyed driving was co-founded by Lionel Martin", is an interesting clue, because if you guessed the other founder is a man named Aston, you'd be wrong; it was Robert Bamford. A couple of other past clues explain:

#8187, aired 2020-03-24 CAR "MA" $600: In 1914 a brand name was born when he raced cars up Aston Hill
#4203, aired 2002-12-04 & AWAY WE GO $800: The name of a "hill climb" Lionel Martin raced in, he used it in the name of the auto company he later founded

The last time they asked about Shaquille O'Neal in a RHYMINGING NAMED category, they reluctantly accepted just "Shaq". 2023 Jeopardy! Masters quarterfinal game 4. The clue presented here says that he "hosts" the podcast in the present tense, but it appears all past episodes have been wiped from distribution, except on YouTube, where a final show is from seven months ago. (A news article from a few months ago hinted it may be back.)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Rhyming Folk $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

Eric Anderson was is the player that I approve this tournament for (I remember thinking in my head when the game played (since he played after the announcement) at least we will get to hear from him again). granted my opinion on him has changed since his first appearance and I was a little harsh last time back when his original game aired. I really wanted to see the interview and how everything went but at least we get to hear it.

this person is fitting for myself to be the last of the wildcard. I have grown to realise I put too much on my personal emotions onto his one little comment on the stage in which everyone forgets everything since they have to play a quiz game after the interview. we can go into reasons why all day I have paragraphs (not all made at the same time and all over the place) of this I drafted most of this before I watched the episode since I knew I also had to wrap everything up from my commentary on his first game and everything both ways. but on to the point I actually do forgive him for everything from his first game interview and I am rooting for him for this game. I know it took a little longer than it should doing it is my fault I confuse the size of a xylophone and accordion. (not even joking)

I actually begin this at four in the morning because time was just still not adding up and that I gave up waiting. The teacher reuniting story was good. The story from Eric about the trip reminded me of some of the celebrities this season that went on what road trips particularly the one that went straight from the middle America to California for over 20 hours, saying never too many of a local dish is the correct answer. at this point I pause since it was already too late when I turned it on and I just really want to know how this portion.

I would love to hear how in the room they came up with this tourist idea. was this in the storage of one of the writers that at one point tried out to make tourist campaigns. I will say that 'make room in Canada' one was cool. for the biography category I wonder if they actually told them they had to do it in order. I knew for final it was Peter for that was the big apostle relating to the pope. I do not think they were asking for the name of the church or if Saint peters basilica qualified since they were asking for the apostle if we were to get nit picky. anyway as this book closes since he is not going into the tournament of champions we all continue on with our lives.