Jeopardy! Masters renewed for Season 2

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy! Masters renewed for Season 2

Post by gameshowfandanny »

It had been mentioned in the finals of Masters last year when Ken said that James, Mattea, and Matt would return, but ABC has now confirmed that Season 2 of Masters will air this spring.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/celebrity- ... 235821151/
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Jeopardy! Masters renewed for Season 2

Post by opusthepenguin »

This is so exciting. I was worried we'd have to return to the format of one returning champion and two new players that we've never seen before. :roll:
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:40 pm This is so exciting. I was worried we'd have to return to the format of one returning champion and two new players that we've never seen before. :roll:
It's not part of the normal show. It's for primetime, like the first season.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Trevor807 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:07 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:40 pm This is so exciting. I was worried we'd have to return to the format of one returning champion and two new players that we've never seen before. :roll:
It's not part of the normal show. It's for primetime, like the first season.
Ah! Summer viewing. That's all right then.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Now let's pray Michael Davies doesn't lurk on this board and see this thread. Otherwise he'll read your comment and add a Masters tournament to the season 41 postseason. ;)
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Is this really surprising, though?
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I didn't watch it last year, and if they don't actually get masters involved. I doubt I'll watch it again. When I saw who was involved last year, its was easy to see that Holzhauer was likely to run roughshod over the field and just looking at the games in the archive it appears that he normally did. I was fine with Amy Schneider, thats a TOC winner, but to grab 4 others from the last season. They lost me, and its hard for Jeopardy to lose me.

Get Roger Craig and Alex Jacob on there with Holzhauer, and I'm interested. Give us whoever wins this year skip all the people from last year, and throw in 4 others from the last ten years. We know the people capable of it. L. Kelly, M Jackson would top the non-winners, but Craig and Jacob should top the wish list. Jacob put on a clinic in his TOC. It might be the most impressive play of anyone on that show in a tourny setting in the last 15 years. That last time I remember seeing him, he was beating up on Rutter and Mueller in the all stars.

My guess is Davies is thinking the he'll get viewership based on people seeing those from this years TOC playing. Fans need to know the people. He's wrong. Put Joon Pahk on there and if he knocks Holzhauer on his butt in the first show. That will get people interested real fast. There are only a handful of people on the planet capable of doing that. They would be the masters, and thats who I'd like to see.

Better yet. Let Buzzy host and get Jennings out there with Holzhauer and 4 others.

Better, better yet. Let Rutter host and get Buzzy out there. Now, we need three more.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

S&P probably won’t let Buzzy play. Last year’s Masters was just James plus the TOC finalists and I don’t want to see that again. We all love Sam but I don’t think he deserves another shot.

What exactly is the Jeopardy Invitational Tournament coming up? Who all is going to be in it?
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Ken also stated he's retired from playing.

I agree that Davies made a mistake in not having much of a variety of players. But if something works in his head, it automatically works in real life as far as he's concerned.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I know unless I lost my mind over this tournament in excitement and shock. and if the producers testimony is correct (which considering one of the contestants on the tournament said he might of gotten his quote wrong, might be shaky for this one subject) also lost his mind for different reasons related to personal banter. I hope they better precautions this year. I know they are not going to eliminate it completely since that is good ratings but it needs to be more controlled and not take over the whole show. I also hope there is more focus on the other contestants but that is another story.

Granted a part of me are still excited and new players every year idea was not the best. I get why he meant not having you stay the same forever and so new people can come through if qualified but I think you would have just been better to have a game cap of 20 to enter you in. but that was something that came from the top of my head at 4 in the morning. (I found this looking for the tune in episode commentary)
Sherm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 pm I didn't watch it last year, and if they don't actually get masters involved. I doubt I'll watch it again. When I saw who was involved last year, its was easy to see that Holzhauer was likely to run roughshod over the field and just looking at the games in the archive it appears that he normally did. I was fine with Amy Schneider, thats a TOC winner, but to grab 4 others from the last season. They lost me, and its hard for Jeopardy to lose me.

Get Roger Craig and Alex Jacob on there with Holzhauer, and I'm interested. Give us whoever wins this year skip all the people from last year, and throw in 4 others from the last ten years. We know the people capable of it. L. Kelly, M Jackson would top the non-winners, but Craig and Jacob should top the wish list. Jacob put on a clinic in his TOC. It might be the most impressive play of anyone on that show in a tourny setting in the last 15 years. That last time I remember seeing him, he was beating up on Rutter and Mueller in the all stars.

My guess is Davies is thinking the he'll get viewership based on people seeing those from this years TOC playing. Fans need to know the people. He's wrong. Put Joon Pahk on there and if he knocks Holzhauer on his butt in the first show. That will get people interested real fast. There are only a handful of people on the planet capable of doing that. They would be the masters, and thats who I'd like to see.

Better yet. Let Buzzy host and get Jennings out there with Holzhauer and 4 others.

Better, better yet. Let Rutter host and get Buzzy out there. Now, we need three more.
I get what you mean about some of the people last year being shooed in but everyone but Andrew he (Who probably should not have been told to come considering the baby scenario, particularly since said baby was not even in driving distance I think required a flight back home.) any that would be fine but did they really) and Sam everyone has a decent amount games in the regular run so I understand them appearing. I just do not want him doing that every year like he plans on in the future. I have to say it this might be the one good thing to come out of this whole tournament season. you are correct though about people watching even if they do not know the names I know the first time I watch these tournaments (not this year but one of the other get everyone from each era tournaments) I did not know the players are they still enjoyed the good gameplay.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Sherm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 pm I didn't watch it last year, and if they don't actually get masters involved. I doubt I'll watch it again. When I saw who was involved last year, its was easy to see that Holzhauer was likely to run roughshod over the field and just looking at the games in the archive it appears that he normally did. I was fine with Amy Schneider, thats a TOC winner, but to grab 4 others from the last season. They lost me, and its hard for Jeopardy to lose me.

I am late to this party - but Mattea was a correct FJ away from winning the tournament. James has said that if he hit DD-3, he would have done what Matt did (all in) and would have missed it, which could have given Mattea a runaway.

Overall, I agree that James had a lot of dominant efforts. But a stunning upset came very close to happening. He should be favored to win the 2024 event, but he is vulnerable.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Sherm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 pm
I agree 100% about Alex. That he was able to win his TOC when up against Matt Jackson, who I'd take to win 8/10 other TOCs he's placed in, and then put up such a strong showing in the All-Stars, speaks to his talents as a J! contestant. Personally, I'd choose Matt Jackson over Roger, though Larissa showed her stuff in the All-Stars, too.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:10 am
Sherm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 pm
I agree 100% about Alex. That he was able to win his TOC when up against Matt Jackson, who I'd take to win 8/10 other TOCs he's placed in, and then put up such a strong showing in the All-Stars, speaks to his talents as a J! contestant. Personally, I'd choose Matt Jackson over Roger, though Larissa showed her stuff in the All-Stars, too.
Roger's TOC win was pretty damn impressive itsels against a loaded field. And remember he largely outplayed Ken and Brad in the Decades tournament but he came up against a couple of DDs that bit him. All of these people should get a chance, I hope they truly want to get the best of the best into this Masters tournament and give all of them a shot in the Invitational.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Masters starts on Wednesday, May 1 this year and will air every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from then until May 22. It's only nine episodes this year, rather than 10:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jeopar ... 235966569/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:49 pm Masters starts on Wednesday, May 1 this year and will air every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from then until May 22. It's only nine episodes this year, rather than 10:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jeopar ... 235966569/
This news also showed up as a correction suggestion on the Archive.

Two days until producer pick named. If not Brad Rutter (or Frank Spangenberg) then I imagine the uproar will be huge. I still think it would be hilarious if it was The Beast.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

All signs point to Cris Panullo getting the last Masters slot.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:00 pm If not Brad Rutter (or Frank Spangenberg) then I imagine the uproar will be huge. I still think it would be hilarious if it was The Beast.
With all due respect, considering the uproar this past week over how some players came in rusty and were only given a few weeks to prepare, these same people now want a player to come in rusty and only have a few weeks to prepare, instead of someone who has played recently.

Make it make sense.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't think it'll be the Beast or anyone else who hasn't previously been on the show.

I also don't think it'll be a recent ToC finalist since that would moot the prize of winning the ToC to get a Masters invitation.

I think it'll be someone who the producers believe would make for exciting TV and/or a demographically balanced roster.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:21 pm I don't think it'll be the Beast or anyone else who hasn't previously been on the show.

I also don't think it'll be a recent ToC finalist since that would moot the prize of winning the ToC to get a Masters invitation.

I think it'll be someone who the producers believe would make for exciting TV and/or a demographically balanced roster.
Only because knowing the wild speculating is stirring the pot:

Ken Jennings is producer pick and Mayim hosts.

Or Buzzy is 6th. Or Eddie.

With taping this week the word might get out before Friday.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:36 pm With taping this week the word might get out before Friday.
Taping doesn't begin until the 17th; I'd be surprised if word gets out before Friday.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan