Fun with Fox's "The Floor"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fun with Fox's "The Floor"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

How much do you want to bet that the person who wins the $250k is the last one who is picked?
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:07 pm How much do you want to bet that the person who wins the $250k is the last one who is picked?
I still think U.S. States in the corner is sitting pretty, no longer being eligible for the randomizer and only touching a huge piece of territory, thus not accessible to anyone who is eligible for the randomizer.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

In what world was Fashion Icons the right choice for the final duel?

Compelling show. I caught the last hour and a half tonight, I can see why people were into it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 pm In what world was Fashion Icons the right choice for the final duel?
Not sure that international foods would have been much better. Would have been cool if they could have played with the other category for fun.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

No real surprise as to the ending, we all knew it was pretty much a crapshoot from the get go. It's an interesting concept and the average viewer will probably like it because everybody has a chance.

Something I hadn't considered was that the episodes were obviously not shot in one day, and this gives the opportunity for extremely focused study between tape dates.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

There should have been something else for the final showdown, not sure what, but the whole show was building to this and then it was...just another 90 second match. Which actually only took about 55 seconds. The definition of anticlimactic. Something like 2 out of 3 for the final would make sense, each player had a category and then maybe if it goes 1-1 then give them a final free-for-all with leftovers from all the categories played throughout the show. The final just needed to be something more than it was.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

I was thinking a little bit when I was Reading some of the comments after making the review for ep8 about how possibly a one person territory or a fairly small territory could possibly win it all since I saw that be mentioned on golded road as well when I checked on it earlier this week. and then it hit me about the day after episode eight came out that this might be a feature not really dedicated to the American audience.

This show is technically imported and many of the places they seem to be focusing on importing it to is Eastern Europe even if the show did not come from Eastern Europe. I found this when I was trying to figure out what Country the lightning version I mentioned a few weeks ago came from since I only had a name at the time. (https://deadline.com/2023/10/ukraine-wa ... 235565700/) so the idea of a very small territory conquering a very big territory by just a small move is a very appealing thing to watch. before I even start this thing I kind of knew deep inside that there was some sort of conquering thing going on with this thing just an instinct. basically summarizing the game might have been made for that to happen just as a feel-good moment regardless of the gameplay. of course when I said this (which was days before the show) I did not see the final battle being the failure that it was. (it was a complete fumble fit for a parody, played like the first SNL skit portion with the water) rather than heroic lucky underdog but that is besides the point. anyway now that ideas out in the air let us see how this goes.

I actually was trying to get a antenna dvr recorder to work that I saw on the buy a vowel forum (so I can savor this long-term) but I forgot to buy the antenna. I am not even joking, my dad thought it came with it. (he thought digital tuner meant the tuner was built in.) The DVR came one hour before the show so no time to get anything in this online buying world with few storefronts. (mostly dedicated to clothing and trinkets (children's books and dolls anyone) in the back)

I see they put all the police stuff in 80s shows all in a row so obviously they organized it and forgot to shuffle it. this was noticeable because it happened at the end of the round and either three or four showed up. (I did not re rewatch the scene and count) The lead changes for everything was so great definitely the two big territories clashing and then the movie is taking over everything. which at that point I knew this would not be a battle of semi big territories but one on all. so many categories I enjoyed I loved how pocky and cranium ended some of the rounds partially because I remember both.

I wanted to see international foods, I was looking forward to that one and that was the one not chosen. I guess our analysts are right that should been the one chosen because obviously the other clothing did not work. I know it would have been great to have a big battle but even a regular semi good battle with people answering would been better than the squash match we got. ( worse then a 'squash match' more like that with a banana peel since there was no domination at all) I almost feel bad saying this because I know that there is a person who actually competing on that battle (2 actually) and they both seem smart but it just was not good television.

anyhow I have a feeling this is a one season game even though I have not looked at the ratings. The game is not really explain to the general audience as well as the people on here explain it. ("45 seconds on the clock" makes it sound like that's a general clock for everyone and does not indicate that the clock pauses when you get it right) most shows these days do not keep anything continuum. (by that I mean prime time not syndicate most syndicates have continuous champions most prime times do not) differences can be a good thing to distinguish a show but it could also be polarizing but I guess we will know when the time comes for renewal. The winner of the game appeared in some of the trailers so it is not like she did not appear in any other promotional material. (she did elbow seen answer and a victory dance)(
Last edited by Game Girl on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Best Pictures - What was the last one with the guy holding a rifle on a mountain trail?

The whales screwed up everything.

I'm happy I did not care one bit about the unseen category.

If it returns I wonder how a 9-square format would work with a winner each week to prevent the studying aspect. Then bring in the 9 winners for a finale.

As it played out the ending was lacking after watching all the episodes.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:07 am Best Pictures - What was the last one with the guy holding a rifle on a mountain trail?
Deer Hunter
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:19 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:07 am Best Pictures - What was the last one with the guy holding a rifle on a mountain trail?
Deer Hunter
Ha! I mentally ran 1980 to present and gave up. Thanks.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Was last night the first time they said that for the final duel, the person with the most territory could choose the category? I was kind of looking forward to a situation where the person challenging had no choice.

Also, the way they handled the Snacks category was awful. They accepted brand names for some and generic names for others. The woman seemed to be horribly thrown off her game when her responses of “Ruffles” and “chips” were not accepted. Same with the cheese puffs/balls. There was no reason not to accept multiple answers as correct for some of these.
LucarioSnooperVixey

"Rock Me Amadeus" a One Hit Wonder? "Der Kommisar" was not a big hit?

Also, I would say "Brand New Lover" by Dead or Alive was a hit as well.

Tucker: I do trivia. (Misses Trivial Pursuit)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:59 am "Rock Me Amadeus" a One Hit Wonder? "Der Kommisar" was not a big hit?
After the Fire's English version was, but not Falco's original German (at least in the US).
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 pm Something like 2 out of 3 for the final would make sense, each player had a category and then maybe if it goes 1-1 then give them a final free-for-all with leftovers from all the categories played throughout the show. The final just needed to be something more than it was.
I had exactly the same thought. Do both contestants original categories. Tiebreaker if needed would be random from the 79 others.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The final was rather anticlimactic. I guess he thought she had been preparing for foods and might have a better shot at fashion. He pretty much had to keep going the whole time he had control because nearly everyone who could be randomized would have been forced to pick him.

I wasn’t surprised she won. Not her specifically, but someone trapped in a corner who could hide.

It will be interesting if they bring it back if they tweak the format a bit. Maybe a bonus for every duel you win. Or having just nine every week with a TOC at the end as Mark suggested. Hopefully they dial back the celebrity ID categories a bit.

A lot of luck involved in this game. Get in the corner with a category that requires a few brain cells and you have a shot at the big bucks.
LucarioSnooperVixey

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:20 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:59 am "Rock Me Amadeus" a One Hit Wonder? "Der Kommisar" was not a big hit?
After the Fire's English version was, but not Falco's original German (at least in the US).
I know about After the Fire's version, but I honestly thought Falco's version was a hit as well.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:20 pm
I know about After the Fire's version, but I honestly thought Falco's version was a hit as well.
It peaked at #74 on the Cashbox chart and didn't crack Billboard's Hot 100.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 am Was last night the first time they said that for the final duel, the person with the most territory could choose the category? I was kind of looking forward to a situation where the person challenging had no choice.

Also, the way they handled the Snacks category was awful. They accepted brand names for some and generic names for others. The woman seemed to be horribly thrown off her game when her responses of “Ruffles” and “chips” were not accepted. Same with the cheese puffs/balls. There was no reason not to accept multiple answers as correct for some of these.
possibly because in some of these categories there were questions that had around slightly over 2 seconds delays before accepted a answer. (and there is a timer so I know I did not misscount) possibly they began noticing how sloppy it blocked and they started to do this. this is not to say that was a good idea multiple answers should have been accepted but unlike jeopardy they cannot correct later with the research room. each time I think of how bad All of that umbrella stuff (timing ,correct answer...) I remember how much time it takes technically offscreen to check some of the answers on jeopardy. (with my imagination of what the library might look like)
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:07 am
The whales screwed up everything.

I'm happy I did not care one bit about the unseen category.

If it returns I wonder how a 9-square format would work with a winner each week to prevent the studying aspect. Then bring in the 9 winners for a finale.

As it played out the ending was lacking after watching all the episodes.
I mean in terms of the whales it did not help that it happened right at the beginning of what would have been episode 10 if it was separated. by that point and not because it was a big territory but just the way it was divided everyone was basically isolated minus one of the corners in which they were three territories that technically could have dished it with each other if he went back.(and I am just listing what would been allowed based on the directions of the game not what would have been probable.) in terms of doing it with each day isolated I know I probably would not have had the excitement that I had for this in which I was basically treating it like the Super Bowl minus the puppies before the fact. (I am not even joking I actually was thinking how the floor would be like with puppies) but I think 10 games is pushing it.

I think the way the final game happened worked really well I think three games for each amount of people would be perfect but not easy to syndicate. (I like that tournament of champions idea and we have the champions do it at the end but 1 day would go too fast I think 3 might go to fast but possible) at the same time in terms of how TV works in America having it one day without people having to be invested in it or feel that they have to be invested in it because they see that people have 'done stuff'. even if it is illusion necessary investment might be a issue for keeping this show long-term, so I understand that idea is likely the best choice for success.