2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by OrangeSAM »

Let the moaning and groaning begin!
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by Volante »

My brain's apparently farther removed from
Spoiler
The Jungle Book
than I would have expected...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm curious as to how much latitude will be used in grading the 12-pt question. I see three different answers, each of which could be considered correct.
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

Sigh. Once again so close to a perfecto, yet so far. No hope of my coming up with Aga Khan, though. My crosswording experience associates "Aga" with Turkey, not India.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was the 9-pointer I had to give up on. All that was coming to me was the blood pressure cuff thingy and no way I could spell it. Plus I knew that just didn't seem right although pulse was leading me there.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Andromus wrote:Sigh. Once again so close to a perfecto, yet so far. No hope of my coming up with Aga Khan, though. My crosswording experience associates "Aga" with Turkey, not India.
"Be it the Aga Khan,
the ex-Shah of Iran,
or the Man from U.N.C.L.E."

Tony Banks, "A Curious Feeling"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:I'm curious as to how much latitude will be used in grading the 12-pt question. I see three different answers, each of which could be considered correct.
Not sure what the other one is, but certainly
Spoiler
punch and time card are valid
Asphodel
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Asphodel »

OK, not to be "that [girl]", but how is it that everyone knows
Spoiler
cesium
?
If it's just one of those well-known facts that I missed somewhere, cool--I'll add it to my arsenal. But am I missing some pop culture reference or recent news story that brought it to the forefront of everyone's minds?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Asphodel wrote:OK, not to be "that [girl]", but how is it that everyone knows
Spoiler
cesium
?
If it's just one of those well-known facts that I missed somewhere, cool--I'll add it to my arsenal. But am I missing some pop culture reference or recent news story that brought it to the forefront of everyone's minds?
Perhaps the ones that got it practice clocke diem or Cs the day?
Woof

Post by Woof »

Spoiler
cesium
?
It's a fairly widely reported fact, but as a chemist I'm in no particular position to say how noteworthy the average Jeopardiste on the street might find it.
Woof

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:I'm curious as to how much latitude will be used in grading the 12-pt question. I see three different answers, each of which could be considered correct.
Not sure what the other one is, but certainly
Spoiler
punch and time card are valid
The other is the undifferentiated
Spoiler
card
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Andromus wrote:Sigh. Once again so close to a perfecto, yet so far. No hope of my coming up with Aga Khan, though. My crosswording experience associates "Aga" with Turkey, not India.
Same here, but I figured it was worth the shot.

And, holy balls, but how did I manage to do what looks like a sweep of the second category, and have clams in the first? (BTW, speaking as one who, I believe, got the last answer on the second category right, I got it from "knowledge stored in my head filed under "trivia"".)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof

Post by Woof »

One request, which I guess belongs here as much as anywhere else. Despite the unquestioned awesomeness of rjaguar's scoring script, the output lacks any information about weekly winners and exempted past winners the way previous years' scoring has. While I realize that such considerations are well beyond a simple script's scoring abilities, perhaps a new thread with updated standings is in order? Those of us with aspirations of making the TOC might appreciate getting a bit of info about the "race" for the TOC.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spoiler
cesium
?
You know, Marlo (see what I did there? :) ), I'm not certain when I learned this fact, but I've known it for a long while now. Maybe I learned about it in Nuke Power School.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Woof wrote:
Spoiler
cesium
?
It's a fairly widely reported fact, but as a chemist I'm in no particular position to say how noteworthy the average Jeopardiste on the street might find it.
I had to think about it for about 20 seconds, but once I remembered it I was sure it was right, and I can't remember how long I've known it - at least since my teens. I don't think I actually learned it in school, just picked it up somewhere. Math and biology are my areas of science knowledge, so I think I'm pretty close to "average Jeopardiste on the street".
The only reason I knew the Kipling character is from working in an all-feline veterinary practice - it was the name of one of our patients. I always liked to ask the clients where they came up with the interesting names. It's also how I learned some of the Eliot cats, which I couldn't list for you, but if you tell me their name I can usually identify that's where they came from.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

So, part of my change of lifestyle a couple of years ago included swimming laps on a regular basis, and I quickly realized that I was going to become totally bored with simply counting them. Instead, I decided to use the activity to keep my mind as well as my body better exercised by running some of the lists of info I had learned in my so far unsuccessful attemps to get on Jeopardy!, in a way that counts the laps at the same time. When I began, I was doing about 16 strokes per lap, so the periodic table was organized into 8 per lap - a nice even 14 laps for the whole thing. I don't run that particular list of info every day, but now it's pretty easily recalled, enough so that I could visualize the first column - Hydrogen, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Cesium, Francium - when I read the question. Cesium just jumped out at me, and only then did I make the atomic clock connection. I can't begin to tell how many times I have been able to recall bits of info for Jeopardy! and this SHC because of the swimming connection. If I ever do get on the show, this is going to be one of potential stories.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I have an "atomic" alarm clock. When they were first offered for sale a few years ago, I was curious about how they worked. I looked it up and that's how I knew cesium.

RTFQ Part 2 - I answered time clock instead of time card :oops:

For Q10, I went back and forth between Aga Khan and Aly Khan. I'm not even sure that "Aly" Khan was a real person, but it sounded vaguely familiar. I ended up with Aga Khan.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't believe I said Shao Khan for Shere Kahn. I could have sworn that he had the same name as the Mortal Kombat character.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misread the Aga Khan question and said viceroy. wouldn't have known it anyway.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Peggles wrote:For Q10, I went back and forth between Aga Khan and Aly Khan. I'm not even sure that "Aly" Khan was a real person, but it sounded vaguely familiar. I ended up with Aga Khan.
They're -- sorta -- the same person:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aly_Khan