J! in Canada for 2012-2013

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

J! in Canada for 2012-2013

Post by dhkendall »

CBC announced a few months ago that they won't be renewing their contract for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! for the upcoming TV season, but I haven't seen any other network announce that they will be picking them up. (The only thing I could find using Google is that CHCH will be showing them next season, but they aren't a network, merely an independent channel airing in southern Ontario only). Has anyone heard anything, or am I stuck with watching it only on American stations starting next season?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: J! in Canada for 2012-2013

Post by happybooker »

Haven't heard anything, but as CHCH goes, so goes CTV (usually). I'd bet that the NCAA hoops tourney won't get in the way.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

happybooker wrote:Haven't heard anything, but as CHCH goes, so goes CTV (usually). I'd bet that the NCAA hoops tourney won't get in the way.
CHCH isn't a CTV affiliate, though...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I guess I'm the lucky one this year, living less than 5km from the CHCH tower.

I trust I won't be missing any episodes for the foreseeable future.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Nor will I, I've always preferred watching on KARE Minneapolis anyway, but it's nice having a backup, plus KARE currently doesn't show weekend repeats (or anything other than first run shows (of course they show the tournament repeats in the main time slot though))

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Can't they create their own Canadian version of Jeopardy! while still allowing contestants from Canada to appear on the US version?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ahirbhairav wrote:Can't they create their own Canadian version of Jeopardy! while still allowing contestants from Canada to appear on the US version?
They did have one for a few years. But, considering we can get American TV easily up here, the Canadian version would probably die off quickly from lack of viewers.

ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Yes, I am aware of that version. But I meant something English, no French, since Alex Trebek, even if he is from Canada and is the long-time host of the show (even longer than Fleming), says "No French." No offense meant though.
Last edited by ahirbhairav on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

dhkendall wrote:Nor will I, I've always preferred watching on KARE Minneapolis anyway, but it's nice having a backup, plus KARE currently doesn't show weekend repeats (or anything other than first run shows (of course they show the tournament repeats in the main time slot though))
WPVI in Philadelphia doesn't show the weekend repeats either. :(
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

kristinsausville wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Nor will I, I've always preferred watching on KARE Minneapolis anyway, but it's nice having a backup, plus KARE currently doesn't show weekend repeats (or anything other than first run shows (of course they show the tournament repeats in the main time slot though))
WPVI in Philadelphia doesn't show the weekend repeats either. :(
Nor does WKBW Buffalo, which is where I get my main Jeopardy! The Canadian broadcast is always a backup as it is shorter.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Checking my online TV Guide now, it's close enough to the start of Season 29 that I can see that, aside from getting it through KARE Minneapolis (as well as KHQ Spokane - which has been an option for some time, but I don't have digital), in lieu of CBC, it looks like I'll be able to watch it 6:30-7:00 on Joytv11 (CIIT 11). It's ostensibly a "religious programming channel", although looking at their shows over the years, it isn't limited strictly to televangelists and the like, but a lot of "family friendly" fare as well - J! and Wheel would be good fits I think. Joy is owned by Zoomer Media, making its only sister station CHNU 10 (Joytv 10) in the Fraser Valley of BC. I can't recall if there are any British Columbians on the board to vouch if CHNU will carry J! and Wheel in the wake of CBC's decision or not.

Any other Canadian boardies able to check their schedule for just over a week from now and see what station will be carrying J! in your area?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Any other Canadian boardies able to check their schedule for just over a week from now and see what station will be carrying J! in your area?
Well, since I live within spitting distance of CHCH's tower, I'll be getting it there.

But
bpmod wrote:... WKBW Buffalo, which is where I get my main Jeopardy!
no longer carries it. As of September 3rd, I have been getting my main Jeopardy! on the Buffalo CBS affiliate, WIVB.

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote:Checking my online TV Guide now, it's close enough to the start of Season 29 that I can see that, aside from getting it through KARE Minneapolis (as well as KHQ Spokane - which has been an option for some time, but I don't have digital), in lieu of CBC, it looks like I'll be able to watch it 6:30-7:00 on Joytv11 (CIIT 11). It's ostensibly a "religious programming channel", although looking at their shows over the years, it isn't limited strictly to televangelists and the like, but a lot of "family friendly" fare as well - J! and Wheel would be good fits I think. Joy is owned by Zoomer Media, making its only sister station CHNU 10 (Joytv 10) in the Fraser Valley of BC. I can't recall if there are any British Columbians on the board to vouch if CHNU will carry J! and Wheel in the wake of CBC's decision or not.

Any other Canadian boardies able to check their schedule for just over a week from now and see what station will be carrying J! in your area?
And now it's close enough to see that I will be getting weekend repeats (I gather they'll be repeats) on Saturday (6:30-7:00) as well, so that's pretty sweet, I appreciate the repeats. (the reason why I gather they'll be repeats is that the TV Guide and Joy 11's website don't list what episodes they'll be showing (Joy 11's website just says "Episode 1, Episode 2, ... Episode 6" for the week - while I'd like to see old 1984 games (and yes, I'll let the Archive know on the off chance they are) somehow I doubt they will be.)

And, also checked Joy tv 10's site (the BC one) and don't see J! listed there, so I'm guessing/hoping another local broadcaster picked it up for my BC brothers.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Checking my online TV Guide now, it's close enough to the start of Season 29 that I can see that, aside from getting it through KARE Minneapolis (as well as KHQ Spokane - which has been an option for some time, but I don't have digital), in lieu of CBC, it looks like I'll be able to watch it 6:30-7:00 on Joytv11 (CIIT 11). It's ostensibly a "religious programming channel", although looking at their shows over the years, it isn't limited strictly to televangelists and the like, but a lot of "family friendly" fare as well - J! and Wheel would be good fits I think. Joy is owned by Zoomer Media, making its only sister station CHNU 10 (Joytv 10) in the Fraser Valley of BC. I can't recall if there are any British Columbians on the board to vouch if CHNU will carry J! and Wheel in the wake of CBC's decision or not.

And now it's close enough to see that I will be getting weekend repeats (I gather they'll be repeats) on Saturday (6:30-7:00) as well, so that's pretty sweet, I appreciate the repeats. (the reason why I gather they'll be repeats is that the TV Guide and Joy 11's website don't list what episodes they'll be showing (Joy 11's website just says "Episode 1, Episode 2, ... Episode 6" for the week - while I'd like to see old 1984 games (and yes, I'll let the Archive know on the off chance they are) somehow I doubt they will be.)

And, also checked Joy tv 10's site (the BC one) and don't see J! listed there, so I'm guessing/hoping another local broadcaster picked it up for my BC brothers.
And ... now it doesn't appear at all on the schedule for Joy 11 (no, I wasn't able to watch yesterday to see if it aired when it was supposed to then). WTF? Now I'm just left with KARE and that's it (unless I get digital and watch it on the Gameshow Network or KHQ Seattle), no weekend repeats or anything.

See what you have reduced me to, CBC?

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

It's on CHEK in BC now. I think people outisde of the lower mainland may be out of luck.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

In Kingston with my cable provider (Cogeco) we have Watertown NY CBS (close enough for antenna and available on basic cable) + two available on digital cable only: CHCH (Hamilton, HD only) and Detroit NBC (HD only).

I think we're going to see a lot fewer Canadians on the show now...
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

boson wrote:I think we're going to see a lot fewer Canadians on the show now...
Is that even possible? By my recollection, there were only two on the show last season.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
boson wrote:I think we're going to see a lot fewer Canadians on the show now...
Is that even possible? By my recollection, there were only two on the show last season.
I agree - but perhaps this was after Sony was told that CBC wouldn't be renewing their contract.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I feel like renting a PO Box in Blaine just to say I live there.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

mennoknight wrote:I feel like renting a PO Box in Blaine just to say I live there.
If you're going to rent a PO Box, make it in Cincinnati or Cleveland!