Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6436, 2012-09-17

First game of Season 29.
New title graphics.
Alex announces special online contestant tests for viewers in Cleveland and Cincinnati markets.

CONTESTANTS
Vamsi Adusumilli, a marketing director originally from Columbia, Missouri
Diane Samuelson, a ballroom dance instructor from Annandale, Virginia
Alison Parakh, a personal trainer from Santa Barbara, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you very much, Johnny Gilbert, and to you, ladies and gentlemen, a very warm welcome, as we begin a brand-new season of Jeopardy! programming. So far, this has been a very exciting year for us. In May, all of us here at Jeopardy! were very excited to be receiving the prestigious Peabody Award. We followed that up in June by winning our 30th Emmy Award, and then in July, I received hundreds of cards and letters from well-wishers, following my little heart thing, and on that subject, I do want to say a big "thank you." It was most appreciated, your kind words and your prayers. But meanwhile, our champion, Alison, has been waiting about eight weeks to play again, since winning that $15,000, so we will delay no longer. Diane and Vamsi, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round. And these are the categories to start off the new season...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREAT & OTHER LAKES (4/5)
OSCAR WINNERS ON TV (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MY SO. CAL. LIFE (5/5)
"A" IN LITERATURE (4/5)
LATIN PHRASES (5/5)
YOUR BEST TEXAS HOLD 'EM CALL (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alison: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Diane: 6 R, 2 W
Vamsi: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alison found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Alison was in the hole with -$200, Diane was scoreless, and Vamsi had nothing in the bank. Alison wagered $1,000.

OSCAR WINNERS ON TV $600: This Oscar-winning daughter of an Oscar-winning director plays producer Eileen Rand on "Smash"
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Alison: Uh....)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Vamsi: $1,200
Alison: $1,200
Diane: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vamsi Adusumilli was the first player we introduced on the program today. One of the advantages of having a cousin who was Miss India, and accompanying her to the Miss Universe pageant in Brazil, is that you get to attend the after-party. Tell me what that was like.

Vamsi: That was, uh, probably one of the highlights of, uh, my young life, was, uh, was--I mean, you're surrounded by, you know, 150 of the most beautiful women in the world, and their sisters who didn't quite, you know, make it into the pageant, and I was--I'm all about exploiting the market inefficiency there, so I-I definitely went in there, and I-I did what I could to console the, you know, the siblings and the people who didn't place, so...

Alex: And did you come away with any numbers or any, uh, e-mail addresses?

Vamsi: What happens in Brazil stays in Brazil, Alex.

Alex: Thank you.

Alex: Diane Samuelsoon--Samuelson is a ballroom dance instructor from Virginia. Won a disco contest in the most--

[Diane laughs.]

Alex: --what I would consider to be the most unlikely places.

Diane: Uh, yes, um, I was studying abroad in China, in, actually, western China, and there was a place that was kind of a bar-restaurant, that the westerners liked to go to, and the week before I left, they had a retro night, and they had a disco contest that I won.

Alex: What did you win? What was the prize?

Diane: [Laughs] Bottle of vodka.

Alex: A bottle of vodka?

Diane: That was it.

Alex: And you were only 12 at the time. That's--

Diane: Well, no, I was, uh, I was actually, I think, 20, almost 21. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Alison Parakh is our champion. She's from Santa Barbara. What have you been doing since your last appearance on our program? Have you been practicing? Have you been working out?

Alison: Uh, both, uh, been working out, uh, my body and my mind, by watching Jeopardy! and reading as much as I can.

Alex: Okay. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OSCAR WINNERS ON TV $400: In the 1980s he & his daughter Holly hosted "Ripley's Believe It or Not", though we don't remember any one-armed push-ups
(Alison: Who is LaLanne?)

OSCAR WINNERS ON TV $800: In 2012 this 2-time Oscar winner won a Golden Globe for her role on "American Horror Story"

GREAT & OTHER LAKES $600: The town of Yellowknife is located on the shore of this "Great" Canadian lake
(Diane: What is Lake Ontario?)
(Vamsi: What is Great Bear Lake?)

"A" IN LITERATURE $1000: Theodore Dreiser based this novel on the case of Chester Gillette, who murdered Grace Brown on Big Moose Lake

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Diane: $3,400
Vamsi: $2,800
Alison: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1990s NO. 1 ALBUMS (4/5)
NAME THAT WAR (2/5)
WE MAKE FURNITURE (3/5)
GIVING A PUP TALK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MATH WORDS (4/5)
"SEP"-TEMBER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alison: 10 R, 3 W
Diane: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Vamsi: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diane snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Alison had $2,000, Diane had $4,600, and Vamsi was at $2,800. Diane wagered $600.

GIVING A PUP TALK $1200: This Shakespeare play includes the line "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Diane who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Alison had $2,800, Diane had $8,000, and Vamsi was at $7,600. Diane wagered $1,000.

"SEP"-TEMBER $1600: The part of a cross-shaped church that intersects the main aisle at right angles

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MATH WORDS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows three geometric figures on the monitor.) A trapezium, a rhombus, & even a kite are examples of this type of planed figure, from the Latin for "4-sided"
(Alison: What is a trapezoid?)
(Vamsi: What is a rectangle?)
(Diane: What is a quadrangle?)

"SEP"-TEMBER $2000: As its name suggests, this early version of the Old Testament was translated by 70 writers

WE MAKE FURNITURE $1200: This London furniture maker popularized his style in his book "Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director"

WE MAKE FURNITURE $1600: Most of the early work by this N.Y. cabinetmaker whose name sounds like a musical instrument was in mahogany

1990s NO. 1 ALBUMS $2000: This band's "Monster" album included "Crush With Eyeliner"
(Alex: One minute to go now, Alison.)

NAME THAT WAR $2000: The Battle of Tarawa

NAME THAT WAR $1600: The 1356 Battle of Poitiers

NAME THAT WAR $800: The Inchon landing

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Diane: $11,400
Vamsi: $8,800
Alison: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Diane: Wager $6,201 to cover Vamsi.
Vamsi: You need to wager $3,201 to cover Alison's doubled score, but no more than $3,600 if you want to top Diane on a Triple Stumper.
Alison: Think about risking $800, thereby beating Diane on the Triple Stumper (should Diane wager to cover Vamsi's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the world's 5 largest islands by area, the 2 with territory of more than 1 country are Borneo & this one

FINAL SCORES
Alison: $6,000 - $5,500 = $500 (What is Australia) (3rd place: $1,000)
Vamsi: $8,800 + $4,000 = $12,800 (What is New Guinea?) (New champion: $12,800)
Diane: $11,400 - $7,000 = $4,400 (What is Hispaniola?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Vamsi] Yes, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Diane: $12,600, 14 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Vamsi: $8,800, 11 R, 4 W
Alison: $7,000, 19 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alison: 19/59 = .322
Diane: 14/60 = .233
Vamsi: 12/58 = .207
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GREAT & OTHER LAKES $200: The Chicago River flows out of this Great Lake
(Diane: What is Lake Erie?)

GREAT & OTHER LAKES $1000: Percy Shelley wrote of this Italian lake, it "exceeds anything I ever beheld in beauty"
(Vamsi: What is Lake Bellagio?)

LATIN PHRASES $200: Lapsus linguae, a sudden, unfortunate utterance, translates to this 4-word phrase
(Vamsi: What is "cat got your tongue"?)

LATIN PHRASES $400: Said at funerals, requiescat in pace translates to this
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

LATIN PHRASES $800: In utero means "within the womb"; this other phrase describes something that happens "in glass"
(Alison: What is in vitreo?)

YOUR BEST TEXAS HOLD 'EM CALL $600: What's this?

YOUR BEST TEXAS HOLD 'EM CALL $1000: What's this?

YOUR BEST TEXAS HOLD 'EM CALL $800: What's this?
[Alex did not actually say "What's this?" for this clue.]

LATIN PHRASES $1000: i.e. is short for this, meaning "that is"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

MATH WORDS $2000: An assertion that can be proven true, often using axioms & postulates
(Alison: What is... proof?)

WE MAKE FURNITURE $2000: Both Alvar Aalto & Charles Eames designed furniture using this layered wood product
(Alison: What is veneer?)
(Alex: [To Diane] We'll accept that, the judge says...)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Anjelica Huston
Jack Palance
Jessica Lange
Great Slave Lake
An American Tragedy
Julius Caesar
transept
a quadrilateral
the Septuagint
Thomas Chippendale
Duncan Phyfe
R.E.M.
World War II
the Hundred Years' War
the Korean War
New Guinea
Lake Michigan
Lake Como
slip of the tongue
rest in peace
in vitro
four-of-a-kind
a full house
a flush
id est
a theorem
laminate
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Islands
Of the world's 5 largest islands by area, the 2 with territory of more than 1 country are Borneo & this one.
Spoiler
What is New Guinea? Alison said Australia; Diane said Hispanolia.

Diane Samuelson: $11,400-$7,000=$4,400
Vamsi Adusumilli: $8,800+$4,000=$12,800...now a 1-day champion with $12,800
Alison Parakh: $6,000-$5,500=$500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

I am VERY impressed by the new intro graphics, although surprised that JG's intro didn't start until the entire thing was finished. I think that at the taping Alex actually commented that Alison had four months off to prepare for her return, and they cut away from him just as he said "eight weeks" so that must have been dubbed. The Texas Hold 'Em questions were much easier to play on tv than in the studio, I thought. There were several tough categories, particularly that Oscar winners on tv one, and I remember another contestant sitting next to me audibly groaning at the missed questions in the furniture category, although they were certainly not my wheelhouse. In fact, I thought that was a very, very tough J board to start the new season, although I love seeing my new friends on tv. Did anyone else notice how expressive Vamsi is? Those looks of "HELL no, I'm not guessing on that one!" were exactly what I thought too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Latin category, but struggled mightily in the rest of the J! round. Nothing seemed remotely familiar in Oscar Winners (to be fair, the contestants bombed there too). So Cal also seemed pretty opaque to non-locals, although I clammed on San Fernando and picked up the Route 66 TOM a little too late.

I didn't know that minutes can also measure angles.

Should I really need to know any of those bleeping furniture makers? That seemed insanely niche.

Wasn't sure on the exact pronunciation of Septuagint but I took a stab and came out correct.

R.E.M. kept me from running the albums.

No guess on FJ! Wasn't sure where to even start. Looking at the map, Indonesia/New Guinea's split looks rather familiar, but it never popped into my mind.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

New intro = best ever. Wow! :shock:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nice to start the season with bad FJ wagering. I had Hispanolia for the island.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Oscar Winners on TV was out of whack. I'm pretty solid in movies and great at TV, and I went 0/4 there, with the Lange on the tip of my tongue. That felt like a DJ category for me (hell, you could have switched it with the 1990's #1's and it would hae been a good fit).

Otherwise, the board was fun. I did pretty well across the remainder of it after starting slow. The contestants were all great too. Vamsi's story was pretty funny, he's quick on his feet, and his speaking voice is perfect for this show (clear, crisp, fast). Diane reminded me of Zosia Mamet, which is always a plus, and had a good grasp on material that was out of my range, and I think Alison acquitted herself on returning with a solid game. I wish there was a little more DD aggression, but since I went 0/3 there, guess I can't complain (the sequence of chosen clues at the end was odd).

No shot whatsoever on FJ for me. I went with Greenland for a guess even though I was 95% sure it had a single claim.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Allison missed a chance to make a truly unique DD call: I'd like to try to make it a Daily Negative Quadruple, and not a Daily Sextuple Alex!

I wonder if my "Twos over Queens" would've been edit-inducing material?

Ran the battles category. Never heard of the 100 years war battle, but knew the year fit. Also ran lakes. Knew either Great Bear or Great Slave was gonna appear, but they fooled me by leaving Great Salt outside looking in.

Started the season right on FJ. Even knew someone was gonna negbait Hispaniola. :(
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Paucle wrote:I wonder if my "Twos over Queens" would've been edit-inducing material?
If I remember the cards right, this was the full house one? It would probably be negged, since a full house would be "twos full of queens." "Twos over queens" refers to two pair.
Paucle wrote:Started the season right on FJ. Even knew someone was gonna negbait Hispaniola. :(
Totally bungled this one. My brain went through other large Indonesian islands (Sumatra...nope, New Guinea...nope), and I moved on to making note of Greenland and wondering whether Hispaniola or Great Britain could really be large enough to round out the top 5. Went with the former and totally facepalmed on Vamsi's reveal.

(Turns out, Great Britain is 9th, Ireland is 20th, and Hispaniola is 22nd. Also, Sumatra is 6th behind Baffin)

EDIT: And, in a double derp, I'm JUST NOW realizing that Great Britain isn't even shared! I'm sure I was thinking of Ireland (which I even had the presence of mind to note in the quoted post). Wow. Bad day for me all around.
Last edited by marpocky on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I considered Irealnd but went with the smaller Hispaniola. Great Britain wouldn't work anyway since only one country (The UK) has land claims there.

I've heard full houses described as "Twos over queens" before and this reference agrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_house#Full_house
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

The Yellowknife clue was a 50/50 for me between Great Bear and Great Slave. In the past, the writers have sometimes used the word "ursine" or "servile" as TOMs for these lakes. I guessed wrong. But I did run the "A" in Lit category and the Latin category.
Last edited by ChemTeacher on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

marpocky wrote:
Paucle wrote:I wonder if my "Twos over Queens" would've been edit-inducing material?
If I remember the cards right, this was the full house one? It would probably be negged, since a full house would be "twos full of queens." "Twos over queens" refers to two pair.
How on earth could twos be "over" queens in two pair?
"Twos full of queens" works too, but that's just another way of saying the same thing. ("full of" = "over") We've always declared a full house by saying what 3 of a kind is ruling over the pair, because the 3 of a kind breaks ties. (In wild card games, or community-cards games, obviously it's possible for exact same full houses to present, as well as both twos over queens and queens over twos in the same hand, whereas the latter would win.)

In two pair, you don't have to say "over" anything. The higher valued card is "over."
"Aces and eights" is two pair. "Aces over eights" is a full house with aces as the triplet.
Anyway- that's how we always declared them, but we were picky at how we declared our hands because we played you get what you declare. If you have a better hand than that, TFB! (If you have a worse one than you declared... TFB for you again, but for an entirely different reason!!)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:I've heard full houses described as "Twos over queens" before and this reference agrees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_house#Full_house
Ah, yes, you needn't even add the pair if you say "queens full," provided it's a non-wild, non community-cards game, since there can only be one of that triplet in a hand, and highest triplet breaks ties.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Man, I'm so jealous. J! Doesn't air here until 7pm, so I wait anxiously, then I'll get satisfied.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

I got R.E.M. from the clue, but I must admit I was confusing the song "Crush with Eyeliner" (from the "Monster" album) with this song from the "Green" album.

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Thought it was odd that "Cuomo" was an answer twice tonight- the lake and the governor. Also I thought the clue re The Wizard of OZ asked for the next four words from Ms Gulch. I count "And yout little dog, too" as 5.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

marpocky wrote:
(Turns out, Great Britain is 9th, Ireland is 20th, and Hispaniola is 22nd. Also, Sumatra is 6th behind Baffin)
Looking at the largest islands list on wikipedia, there are 4 more islands in the top 50 that have territory of more than 1 country. Can anyone name one of them? (paging dhkendall)
billy pilgrim wrote:Also I thought the clue re The Wizard of OZ asked for the next four words from Ms Gulch. I count "And yout little dog, too" as 5.
Eh, they're pretty consistent with allowing people to add extra words on a clue like that, as long as the extra word(s) are in the clue. Asking for a 5 letter word and giving 6 letters is a no-no, but adding an intro to a 3 or 4 word response usually seems to be considered acceptable.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Case wrote:although surprised that JG's intro didn't start until the entire thing was finished.
Johnny is 88 years old and looks and sounds GREAT! Long live Johnny!
heelsrule1988 wrote:New intro = best ever. Wow! :shock:
Wholeheartedly agree!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:Nice to start the season with bad FJ wagering. I had Hispanolia for the island.
I didn't even notice that it was bad because it wouldn't have made a difference.