Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6438, 2012-09-19

9 clues unrevealed in Double Jeopardy!

CONTESTANTS
Dan Elg, a graduate student of nuclear and plasma engineering originally from Wheaton, Illinois
Veronica Mance, a policy and research analyst from Chevy Chase, Maryland
Penny Citrola, an English language tutor originally from East Meadow, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Penny had that wonderful moment on yesterday's program where she went into Final Jeopardy! knowing that she could not be caught. And as a result, she wound up winning the game with $17,800. Veronica and Dan, could happen to you. Let's start finding out if it will. The Jeopardy! Round is where we begin, as always. And today we have these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GIVE THE "DEVIL" (5/5)
HIS 'DO (3/5)
TALK SHOW-POURRI (4/5)
THEIR DEBUT NOVELS (4/5)
NOT EXACTLY HUMAN (4/5)
SINGAPORE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Kelly: The mighty republic and city-state of [*]--Asia's tiny dragon of culture and industry.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Penny: 12 R, 1 W
Dan: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Veronica: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $3,800
Penny: $1,400
Veronica: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. It's early in the season, so we're all a little bit rusty. We wrote a clue, uh, a little while ago that had to, uh, do with Chelsea Handler. But Joan Rivers is the response that Veronica gave, and that clue, the way we wrote it, could apply to Joan Rivers, also. So Veronica's gonna get, uh, a correct response. So she'll move from minus $400 to plus $400. Now Dan came in after that with his response, which was also incorrect, but it's as if that never happened, according to our rules. So, Dan Elg, we're giving you back some money, too. You're moving from $3,400 to $3,800. Now tell me about your Eagle Scout project.

Dan: So my high school, Benet Academy, uh, used to be an orphanage before it was a high school. And unfortunately, every once in a while, an orphan dies. So there would be an orphan graveyard tucked away in the corner of Benet. I asked Benet, for my Eagle Scout project, "Is there anything I can do?" And they said, "Restore the graveyard." So I tilled it over, reset the headstones and everything. And then a few months later, a contestant got on Jeopardy! and said, "Oh, I went to a suburban Catholic high school near Chicago with an orphan graveyard." I was like, "That's my graveyard on Jeopardy!" And now it's on again.

Alex: [Laughs] All right. Good for you.

Alex: Veronica Mance, you have a special collection which is not unusual. What do you collect?

Veronica: I have a collection of 45, uh, records, um, that I got from my mother. Um, she was a big, um, soul, Motown fan.

Alex: Yeah.

Veronica: But then she was--also had this little eclectic taste. For example, she has three different versions of "Eleanor Rigby"--the Beatles version, the Aretha Franklin version, and the Ray Charles version.

Alex: All right. Good for you. It's hard finding players, though, for those 45s.

Veronica: Yes, they--yes, it is.

Alex: Penny Citrola is our champion. And speaking of music, for your 30th birthday, where did hubby take you?

Penny: My husband Joe and I drove down to Las Vegas where we saw U2 play. But before the concert, we were waiting outside and happened to see the caravan go by. The last car, out popped Bono. And I said, "Bono, I drove two days to celebrate my 30th birthday with you. Would you please sign my ticket?" And he did, and even drew a cake. It was awesome.

Alex: Oh. Great moments. Great moments.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Penny had $1,400, Veronica had $400, and Dan was at $3,800. Dan wagered $1,500.

SINGAPORE $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a garden in Singapore.) Named for the woman in whose garden it was discovered, the Vanda Miss Joaquim, the first hybrid of this plant grown in Singapore, is the country's national flower
(Dan: What is a hyacinth?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TALK SHOW-POURRI $600: On her talk show, this comedienne just might fulfill your dreams with her "Swaggin' Wagon"
(Alex: And now would be the time for [*].)

NOT EXACTLY HUMAN $1000: Stephenie Meyer says this werewolf "was my first experience with a character taking over"

HIS 'DO $400: Hair-wise, Steven Seagal is famous for this, which has its own Facebook page

HIS 'DO $1000: In the rediscovered Leonardo work "Salvator Mundi", Jesus has the long, spiraling curls called these
(Dan: What are dreadlocks?)

THEIR DEBUT NOVELS $1000: "Digital Fortress"
(1998)

SINGAPORE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands in front of a statue in Singapore.) On January 29, 1819 the future of Singapore was determined when this administrator landed here & established a British settlement; when he returned in 1822 he was stunned at the explosion of commerce in the colony

SINGAPORE $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Singapore.) Singapore is the largest port in Southeast Asia thanks in part to its location on this strait connecting the Indian Ocean & South China Sea
(Veronica: What is the Strait of Malay?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Penny: $5,000
Dan: $1,500
Veronica: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRUE DAILY DOUBLES (5/5)
"&" MAGAZINES (1/3)
PHYSICISTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PLATONIC FIENDS (0/0)
INDIANA JONES (4/5) (Alex: The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones now out on Blu-ray, by the way.)
AN ANTONYM OF... (1/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Penny: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Dan: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Veronica: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 21
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Penny had $11,000, Veronica had $3,200, and Dan was at $5,500. Dan wagered $3,500.

PHYSICISTS $1200: In 1797 Henry Cavendish began a measurement of gravitation popularly known as an effort to weigh this
(Dan: What is... a feather?)
(Alex: ...we have a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"&" MAGAZINES $400: Harvard & Stanford tied for first in this magazine's ranking of Best Business Schools for 2013
(Veronica: What is Forbes?)

"&" MAGAZINES $800: Magazines for auto enthusiasts include Car and Driver as well as this one whose title is 2 driving surfaces

INDIANA JONES $1200: In "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", Indy finds that this country's Nazca Lines offer answers to his quest

PHYSICISTS $2000: Lending support to the Big Bang theory, Arno Penzias & Robert Wilson discovered this type of residual radiation

AN ANTONYM OF... $2000: Smooth, 8 letters; sandpaper is an example of one

AN ANTONYM OF... $1600: Insincere or evasive in speech, 5 letters; it's also a male first name

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Penny: $11,000 (lock game)
Veronica: $4,400
Dan: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL CHILDREN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Penny: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Veronica: Wager $2,801 to cover Dan.
Dan: Risk between $801 and $2,000, covering Veronica's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of his 5 sons was born in New Brunswick, Canada

FINAL SCORES
Dan: $3,600 + $3,597 = $7,197 (Who is FDR?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Veronica: $4,400 - $4,300 = $100 (Who is Eisenhower?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Penny: $11,000 - $2,000 = $9,000 (Who is Teddy Roosevelt?) (2-day champion: $26,800)
(Alex: [To Dan] Yes. Campobello.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Penny: $11,000, 17 R, 1 W
Dan: $8,600, 13 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Veronica: $4,400, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $24,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Penny: 17/58 = .293
Dan: 14/60 = .233
Veronica: 6/58 = .103
Team: 37/63 = .587

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TALK SHOW-POURRI $400: Are you there, America? It's this female comedian & bestselling author with a late-night talk show on E!
(Penny: Who is Margaret Cho?)
(Veronica: Who is Joan Rivers?)
(Dan: Who is Ellen DeGeneres?)
[Veronica's response was initially ruled incorrect but was deemed acceptable and overturned after the first commercial break; Dan's penalty for an incorrect response was then removed.]

NOT EXACTLY HUMAN $400: Amazingly lifelike, Repliee Q2 is this type of robot that shares its name with a popular mobile platform

SINGAPORE $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew stands next to a dragon boat in Singapore.) In dragon boat racing, a major Singapore spectacle, a priest or dignitary ceremonially dots a boat's eyes to reawaken the animal's this, a Chinese word meaning "energy of life"

HIS 'DO $600: The slick look of this movie-great lover inspired many imitators, who were known as "Vaselinos"

THEIR DEBUT NOVELS $800: "The Outsiders"
(1967)
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go.)

SINGAPORE $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands in front of a merlion fountain in Singapore.) The lion is the symbol of Singapore because a 14th century prince said he saw one when he first landed; as lions aren't native to Singapore, what he probably saw was this Asian big cat

"&" MAGAZINES $1200: (First Lady Michelle Obama delivers the clue.) This magazine usually features living rooms, food & yards on its cover, so I was honored to be the first public figure on its cover since 1963 & the first First Lady ever to appear on the cover, for the August 2011 issue

INDIANA JONES $400: In "Raiders", Indy & gal pal Marion nearly perish in search of the Ark of the Covenant, legendary resting place of these

INDIANA JONES $800: Indy & dad Sean Connery cause trouble for the Third Reich in "The Last Crusade" while aboard one of these lighter-than-air craft
(Dan: What's a blimp?)

INDIANA JONES $1600: After "Temple of Doom", director Steven Spielberg tied the knot with this actress

INDIANA JONES $2000: In "Temple of Doom", Indy & friends defeat the Thuggee cult who worship this Indian goddess of destruction

AN ANTONYM OF... $1200: Heterodox, 8 letters; it describes religious Jews
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the orchid
Ellen DeGeneres
Jacob Black
his ponytail
ringlets
Dan Brown
Sir Thomas Raffles
the Strait of Malacca
the Earth
U.S. News & World Report
Road & Track
Peru
background radiation
abrasive
frank
FDR
Chelsea Handler
android
qi
Rudolph Valentino
S.E. Hinton
the tiger
Better Homes and Gardens
the Ten Commandments
a Zeppelin
Kate Capshaw
Kali
orthodox
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Presidential Children
1 of his 5 sons was born in New Brunswick, Canada.
Spoiler
Who is FDR? Veronica said Eisenhower; Penny said Teddy Roosevelt.
Penny Citrola: $11,000-$2,000=$9,000...now a 2-day champion with $26,800
Veronica Mance: $4,400-$4,300=$100
Dan Elg: $3,600+$3,597=$7,197
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Most painful game of the year so far. Yes, it's day 3, but that was pretty rough.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I can't remember the last time a round had so many clues remain hidden, besides Celebrity Jeopardy. Since I struggled with the board as well, I have to assume it was the board and not the players.

Personally, I thought "AFL-CIO" was overvalued for $1600.

On FJ, I had absolutely no idea. I went with Ford, since he went to University of Michigan and that state is next to Ontario.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

^ No kidding... it was driving me nuts. They took forever on the first category of the DJ round, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I would have gone TDD on the DD (weighing the earth) in the Physics category and missed. I felt bad for the male contestant on that one. The rest of the clues in that category were instant gets.

I went with Franklin Pierce on FJ, remembering that he was from New Hampshire. I figured that was probably too obscure to be a TOM for a FJ clue, but I had nothing else to go on. Patti Davis was my precall.

I agree, this was a painful game to watch.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote:I went with Franklin Pierce on FJ, remembering that he was from New Hampshire.
I went with FDR because I knew he has a lot of kids. I've heard of Campobello, but had no clue where it was.

One of these days, people will learn the difference between a blimp and a zepplin: blimp=non-rigid, zepplin/dirigible=rigid.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I missed the beginning of the explanation of the reversal before the interviews. What was that about?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

econgator wrote:I went with FDR because I knew he has a lot of kids. I've heard of Campobello, but had no clue where it was.
I did too, but for the opposite reason. I knew he liked to hang out in that area, but had no idea how many kids he had.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

marpocky wrote:I missed the beginning of the explanation of the reversal before the interviews. What was that about?
The writers missed the fact that Joan Rivers also has a late night show on E!.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I vaguely remember a Quinton Roosevelt, (hence the "5" TOM) but I made the same mistake as the lock champ and said TR.

I remember yelling at Paul that he had disgraced his family by missing the Flying Dutchman (spectral ship in a category where DUTCH is the hook? Really?), but I'm old and cranky these days.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

teapot37 wrote:
marpocky wrote:I missed the beginning of the explanation of the reversal before the interviews. What was that about?
The writers missed the fact that Joan Rivers also has a late night show on E!.
The clue: "Are you there America? It's this female comedian & bestselling author with a late-night talk show on E!"

The only current E! show starring Joan Rivers that I can find is Fashion Police, which I believe airs new episodes on Fridays at 10 PM. I wouldn't have thought that it was considered a talk show, but it is described on both Wiki and IMDB as a news/talk show. I had to look that one up because it was a pretty big story when she left the E! network several years back and took her awards show red carpet shows to the TV Guide Channel, but apparently she returned to E! in 2010 to do the Fashion Police show, looking back at what people wore on the red carpet, rather than covering the shows live.

That clue had a tricky TOM, as I had the same initial thought as Penny, with the "Are you there America" making me first think of "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret", and thinking of Margaret Cho, but I recovered in time to recall that Chelsea Handler's book was titled "Are you there Vodka? It's me, Chelsea", which was then turned into a sitcom titled "Are you there, Chelsea? ".

When Alex gave the less-than-a-minute warning, I was in shock, as there were still about 15 clues remaining on the board. I knew there were a lot of misses and triple stumpers, but I had no idea they were running that long. Did they give them a bunch of extra time to finish the J! round, leaving DJ way short? I don't understand why they would do that, but surely there is no way they finished the J! round in the usual amount of time and then only had time for 20 of 30 clues in DJ, is there?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote:I would have gone TDD on the DD (weighing the earth) in the Physics category and missed. I felt bad for the male contestant on that one. The rest of the clues in that category were instant gets.

I went with Franklin Pierce on FJ, remembering that he was from New Hampshire. I figured that was probably too obscure to be a TOM for a FJ clue, but I had nothing else to go on. Patti Davis was my precall.

I agree, this was a painful game to watch.
I went with Calvin Coolidge for a similar reason. He was from Vermont. I had no idea Campobello was in Canada.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sorry, Penny, but there was a lot of Lach trash to be had in this one. Besides, you're from East Meadow, so you are the Enemy (I'm a Lawrencian).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:I went with Franklin Pierce on FJ, remembering that he was from New Hampshire.
I went with FDR because I knew he has a lot of kids. I've heard of Campobello, but had no clue where it was.

One of these days, people will learn the difference between a blimp and a zepplin: blimp=non-rigid, zepplin/dirigible=rigid.
No, a blimp is a dirigible as well. That designation simply refers to the fact that it can be steered (from Latin "dirigere", an ancestor of our word "direct"). This distinguishes all airships, whether rigid, semi-rigid, or non-rigid, from balloons. The genus for all lighter-than-air crafts, both dirigible and non, is "aerostat".

I blanked on "zeppelin" and said "airship". On a BMS, I think I would have said "rigid airship". I'm betting they were prepared for that, but I'm not sure which way the judgment would have gone.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with fillmore, he was from Buffalo, but was pretty sure they wouldn't use him for a vague piece of trivia like that. I remember an FDR movie called Sunrise at Campobello (or something like that), but did not know what or where Campobello is.

If I had been on the show and heard a BMS warning on full names, I might have guessed FDR

I think Alex should have reminded them that the & was in quotation marks, might have helped.

So what would the unused category have been about (Platonic Freinds?)?

I did get zeppelin.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: So what would the unused category have been about (Platonic Freinds?)?
I was guessing that it would be people associated with Plato. Socrates and Aristotle would probably be two, but are there 3 more people famous enough to make a full category? Oh wait, it was "fiends", not friends. Bamaman's misspelling threw me off. That would maybe make it a category of Greek baddies?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I couldn't remember if it was friends or fiends.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

It was fiends, and going by the clue in "Jeopardy EXP," it would've indeed been about Plato.