Thursday, October 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6454, 2012-10-11

Stephanie Jass game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Hilary Hultman-Lee, a mom and tutor from Sterling, Virginia
Tom Conn, a claims processor and sports broadcaster from Saint Anne, Illinois
Stephanie Jass, a history professor from Milan, Michigan (whose 3-day cash winnings total $66,770)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for joining us today. In case you missed some of our games earlier this week, let me tell you a little bit about Stephanie, our champion. Not only is she bright, she is very fast on that signaling device. But Tom and Hilary, the challengers today, are not at all intimidated by that. So it should make for a lively contest. Good luck. Let's go to work. Here are the categories in this first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TALKIN' FOOTBALL (5/5)
"X"s & "O"s (3/5)
PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARIES (5/5)
I THEE WED (5/5)
YOU'VE BEEN SCHOOLED! (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LOOKING DOWN WITH GEOEYE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 11 R, 1 W
Hilary: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Tom: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Stephanie had $1,400, Tom had $2,800, and Hilary was at $1,200. Tom wagered $600.

YOU'VE BEEN SCHOOLED! $1000: From the Greek for "many skills", it's an engineering school that teaches industrial arts & applied sciences
(Tom: What is a technical school?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tom: $2,200
Stephanie: $1,400
Hilary: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Hilary Hultman-Lee is a mom and a tutor from Sterling, Virginia, who was a rather large baby at birth.

Hilary: I was. I was 11 1/2 pounds at birth.

Alex: Natural birth for your mom?

Hilary: Yeah. Well, yes. There were people lining the room in the hospital room to come see me be born. My brother was 10 1/2, and he was 3 weeks early.

Alex: Whoa!

Hilary: Yeah.

Alex: And how tall is he now?

Hilary: He says he's 5'12" because he's not quite 6'.

Alex: Okay. I understand that.

Alex: Tom Conn from Saint Anne, Illinois. Sports broadcaster doing play-by-play for which teams?

Tom: I do high school football and basketball games for Iroquois county in Illinois. I host a Saturday morning sports show on the radio, too.

Alex: Okay. When you're calling the play-by-play for the games, do you try to get the, uh--does the audience there--the fans--do they hear you, and do you try to get them all riled up and excited about the local team?

Tom: I try and stay as neutral as I can 'cause we cover a variety of schools in the Iroquois county area.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Tom: Yeah.

Alex: Stephanie Jass is our champion. She's won over $60,000 and already knows how she's going to spend some of that money. She is going to go green.

Stephanie: Yeah. Um, I'm from Michigan. I teach at Adrian College, and I've always wanted an electric car, and now that Chevy makes a Volt--I think it's be great. I think there's a waiting list, so there's no guarantee I'll get one, but I'd really like a Chevy Volt.

Alex: A lot of people worry about the volt because they say you only go 30 miles and then you run out of electricity. But then the gasoline engine kicks in.

Stephanie: Right!

Alex: You don't stop at 30 and say, "Well, I got to walk the rest of the way."

Stephanie: That wouldn't be bad for you, either.

[Laughter]

Alex: Thanks a lot.

Stephanie: I didn't mean--!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"X"s & "O"s $400: Let there be light with this element discovered in 1898

"X"s & "O"s $1000: It sounds like a big mode of transport, but it's a congressional bill dealing with a large number of items

LOOKING DOWN WITH GEOEYE $400: Seen here off the Australian coast, this type of countercurrent that's also a first name can last a year

LOOKING DOWN WITH GEOEYE $1000: Odds are you'll recognize this location named for a former Nevada senator

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $5,600
Hilary: $4,800
Tom: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1920s BESTSELLERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STARTS WITH 2 VOWELS (5/5)
ALLITERATIVE AMERICANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We'll need both names in...)
ALSO A TRIBE OF ISRAEL (3/5)
THE REPUBLIC (5/5)
SUMMER ENTERTAINMENT 2012 (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Hilary: 8 R, 1 W
Tom: 1 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Stephanie had $12,000, Tom had $4,000, and Hilary was at $6,800. Stephanie wagered $2,000.

ALLITERATIVE AMERICANS $1600: Among the holdings in his financial empire were an aircraft company, RKO Pictures & lots of stock in TWA

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stephanie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Stephanie had $16,800, Tom had $4,000, and Hilary was at $6,800. Stephanie wagered $2,000.

1920s BESTSELLERS $1200: "Revolt in the Desert", about his exploits in Arabia, was a nonfiction bestseller in 1927

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SUMMER ENTERTAINMENT 2012 $1600: This "dogged" rapper went "Back In Time" on the "Men in Black 3" soundtrack
(Stephanie: Who is Snoop Dogg?)

SUMMER ENTERTAINMENT 2012 $2000: A woman disappears on her anniversary in this bestselling alliterative novel by Gillian Flynn

ALSO A TRIBE OF ISRAEL $1200: Slang for a $100 bill
(Hilary: What is a Ben... Franklin?)

ALSO A TRIBE OF ISRAEL $2000: A degree of expertise in karate or judo

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $24,400
Hilary: $12,400
Tom: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NONFICTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Stephanie: Wager $401 to cover Hilary, but no more than $16,399 so as not to fall behind Tom's doubled score.
Hilary: You have the hope of surpassing Stephanie if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $12,001 to force Stephanie to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $4,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Tom.
Tom: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In an 1854 work, this title body of water was compared with the proportions of Loch Fyne

FINAL SCORES
Tom: $4,000 - $0 = $4,000 (What is The Firth of Forth?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Hilary: $12,400 - $12,201 = $199 (What is Lake Victoria?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Stephanie: $24,400 - $1,000 = $23,400 (What is Loch Lomand?) (4-day champion: $90,170)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $23,200, 28 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Hilary: $12,400, 17 R, 1 W
Tom: $4,600, 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Stephanie: 28/60 = .467
Hilary: 17/58 = .293
Tom: 6/59 = .102
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TALKIN' FOOTBALL $400: Robert Griffin III is the first player from this Waco, Texas university to win the Heisman
(Stephanie: What is Rice?)

PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARIES $800: Ann Arbor, Michigan
(Alex: Good thing you got that one.)

LOOKING DOWN WITH GEOEYE $200: From the heavens, this East Coast structure looks like part of an enormous sun dial

LOOKING DOWN WITH GEOEYE $600: Spreading four miles into the Persian Gulf, manmade Palm Jumeirah in this nation was built to hold more than 2,000 villas

LOOKING DOWN WITH GEOEYE $800: You can see why this Down Under landmark was revered by aboriginal people

STARTS WITH 2 VOWELS $1200: Last name of the man who ran both Ford & Chrysler, & introduced the Mustang in 1964
(Alex: Lee [*].)

ALLITERATIVE AMERICANS $1200: In 1908, he became the first black heavyweight champion of the world

ALLITERATIVE AMERICANS $2000: Famous for his American flag paintings, he was saluted with a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011
[Applause for Stephanie's run of the category.]

1920s BESTSELLERS $2000: In this bestseller Sinclair Lewis modeled Gopher Prairie after his home town of Sauk Centre, Minnesota
[Applause for Stephanie's run of the category.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a polytechnical school
xenon
omnibus
an eddy
McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas
Howard Hughes
T.E. Lawrence
Pitbull
Gone Girl
a Benjamin
Dan
Walden Pond
Baylor
Gerald Ford
the Washington Monument
the UAE (United Arab Emirates)
Ayers Rock
Iacocca
Jack Johnson
Jasper Johns
Main Street
ahirbhairav

Re: Thursday, October 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ahirbhairav »

Yay, we're blank now! Does jeopardy air in the morning or the evening? I am very sure it's the evening,not the morning.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ahirbhairav wrote:Yay, we're blank now! Does jeopardy air in the morning or the evening? I am very sure it's the evening,not the morning.
It's syndicated, so it airs whenever the affiliate wants it to air. debramc's, for example, gets it in the morning. I get it in the afternoon. You get it in the evening. This is why the thread is automatically generated at 1030 Central every day, for the benefit of those who don't get it in the evening to discuss.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Nonfiction
In an 1854 work, this title body of water was compared with the proportions of Loch Fyne.
Spoiler
What is Walden Pond? Tom said the Firth of Forth; Hilary said Lake Victoria; Stephanie said Loch Lomond.
Stephanie Jass: $24,400-$1,000=$23,400...now a 4-day champion with $90,170
Hilary Hultman-Lee: $12,400-$12,201=$199
Tom Conn: $4,000-$0=$4,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:Yay, we're blank now! Does jeopardy air in the morning or the evening? I am very sure it's the evening,not the morning.
It's syndicated, so it airs whenever the affiliate wants it to air. debramc's, for example, gets it in the morning. I get it in the afternoon. You get it in the evening. This is why the thread is automatically generated at 1030 Central every day, for the benefit of those who don't get it in the evening to discuss.
I wasn't aware this thread was on autopost, that's pretty cool. I never checked the time it is started, I just thought one of the random archivists started it.

Ever look at the FJ answer, have no real idea and just write something down that matches what they wre looking for, in this case a body of water that was the title of a work of literature written in that time period. But you have no reason to think it is right, you just went with something since something is better than nothing. Then you stress out as three different responses are revealed and all are wrong. Then alex informs you that you were right!!!

That was me today.

Steph may have kicked herself for not picking up the rebound on the Ben tribe, it could have cost her a lot of Benjamins.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I couldn't think of a nonfiction book from the 1800s to save my life, let alone one that was about a body of water. And then the assumption that it had to be tied with something or someone Scottish did me in. That was ugly.

Congrats Stephanie on win #4!! So disappointed on your lack of a lock, you're losing your skills ;) Also, Chevy should give you a Volt.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, the whole Scottish thing scared me. I've never ead Walden Pond, so I wasn't sure what it is about. Are someone's random thoughts considered "non-fiction"?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't get the "revered" TOM on Ayres Rock.

Xavier and Eisenhower cost me 5/5s in their categories, but I ran Two Vowels.

Obvious 0/5 in Football for me. Also stood and stared on the entirety of Alliterative Americans.

Wedding was totally alien to me as well, though I WAGged $800. I've played organ at several weddings, but none with throwing of a garter or that fancy stuff. I don't think even my aunt wore a veil to hers. I also had no idea what that $200 clue was about — the best man does what, now?

Pitbull was my only get in Summer Entertainment, thanks again to Todd in the Shadows.

My first thought: "Well, 'loch', so it's obviously gonna be some mega obscure Scottish work only 5 people have heard of." I didn't bother a guess.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Besides Stephanie winning her fourth game and pretty much guaranteeing her a TofC berth, Hillary needing to get the last four clues in DJ! to prevent a lock and doing so deserves a mention too.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Good lord, Steamroller Stephanie keeps on rolling... congrats, Steph!

What a great, great game. Lots of fast-moving action, laughs and good answers.

Much to my surprise, I even got a couple of the football questions... and I loved the 1920's best sellers.

As to FJ, it wasn't an "instaget" but a let-me-think-about-this-get. As I've noted before, the NYT runs an evening "Jeopardy!" question in that day's paper. After I read the clue this morning, I didn't come up with an answer in thirty seconds. But after a few minutes of thinking it through, I realized I was getting stuck on the water reference. So I went at it from another angle: what non-fiction books stand out in my mind from roughly that time period?

First book up, "Origin of the Species," and then second book came up... "Walden Pond!"

D'oh!

Eagerly awaiting tomorrow night's game... now, back to my "Jeopardy!" e-book...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Had no chance on FJ. I guess I don't think of Walden as non-fiction. I seem to be coming down on the wrong side of a lot of FJs this season.

However, I wasn't going to miss "Dan".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

"Oh, come on..."
Best. Post. EffJay. Comment. EVER.

Truly nasty. For my sussing, see lisa's post. With same success result. I think this'll be a pretty low get rate. I never left the UK.

And yes, nice clutch performance at the end by Hilary to prevent the runaway. I also thought it appropriate she got in first on the Clinton Presidential Library.
BrotherFlounder

Post by BrotherFlounder »

Congrats, Dr. J! Well done! You seem to have started a trend of everyone commenting on Alex tempting them in DDs this week. Can't wait to see tomorrow's game.

I got McCarran Airport only thanks to parsing the clue at the last minute. Cannot believe I couldn't come up with Bears for George Halas. Otherwise an easy category.

I would never have come up with Walden Pond.

(What's this TOM that everyone keeps talking about, by the way? I assume it's referring to clues containing...well, clues, but I can't parse the acronym.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Tease-Out Metric. Part of our long list of lingo.
BrotherFlounder

Post by BrotherFlounder »

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ Tease-Out Metric. Part of our long list of lingo.
Great, thanks! Not sure how I've managed to miss that page on the Archive all summer long, but here we are.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Did anyone else notice the cut from Trebek to Stephanie before the game started? Looked like the camera caught her trying to work something out of her teeth with her tongue. This was the episode after lunch after all!
BADuBois wrote: what non-fiction books stand out in my mind from roughly that time period?

First book up, "Origin of the Species," and then second book came up... "Walden Pond!"
Exactly my thought process. Guessed it with about 5 seconds left. Still didn't know if I was right until Trebek revealed it.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

erak wrote:Did anyone else notice the cut from Trebek to Stephanie before the game started? Looked like the camera caught her trying to work something out of her teeth with her tongue. This was the episode after lunch after all!
That was a nice shot, wasn't it?! This was the lunch where we saw Seth Rogan, so that was fun.
(Man, I was mad about Walden Pond; I hadn't read it since high school, where I made the joke that the book made me want to Thoreau up. Maybe I'd appreciate it more now, but he did cost me money...)

I knew most of the ones in The Republic that Hillary got, but she beat me to the buzzer. She was good! Thankfully for me, she was tripped up by FJ. This was my first game where if I'd wagered more on DDs, I could have had a lock going into FJ.

Props to Tom and Hillary, who are both delightful people and very fun to play against!
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

BADuBois, you beat me to it. If Ken Jennings is the Stormin' Mormon or the Utah Computah, and Jerome Vered is the Buzzsaw, it occurred to me during tonight's game that Stephanie could be the Smilin' Steamroller. Amazing run so far, Stephanie!

This season we've seen a pretty high proportion of clues stumping all three contestants. I also couldn't get out of Scotland and wild-guessed Loch Ness, knowing it was wrong.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

FJ had me badly bamboozled for the first 15 seconds or so. My first thought was some kind of travel memoir, but nothing that fit came to mind. Then I started thinking of Scottish writers like Sir Walter Scott, but I couldn't see the non-fiction connection with him. Finally from somewhere in the back of my mind Walden Pond popped up, and I went with that, not being quite sure, but not having anything better either.