Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6459, 2012-10-18

CONTESTANTS
Erin McCready, a teaching artist from Brooklyn, New York
Glenn Fleishman, a technology journalist from Seattle, Washington
Meredith Lowmaster, a medical research technician from Quincy, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to our show. You just heard that Meredith won $16,000 on yesterday's program. What you did not hear mentioned is the fact that she defeated a woman who was a seven-time champion. Will Meredith be able to match Stephanie's total of just a shade under $150,000? That could happen to Erin and Glenn, as well. I'll wish all three of you good luck. Direct your attention to the board. We'll put the dollar figures into the screens. And then, as we always do, we reveal the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CELEBRITY COOKBOOKS (5/5)
IT'S ALWAYS "I", "I", "I" (3/5) (Alex: As a matter of fact, each response will contain three "I"s.)
TV NETWORK NAMES (4/5)
ESCAPIST LITERATURE (5/5)
WORN UNDERNEATH (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Glenn: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Erin: 9 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Meredith: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Glenn: $3,200
Meredith: $0
Erin: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Erin McCready is founder and artistic director of the Brooklyn Youth Company, which does what?

Erin: We're a theater-making company for middle-school kids. We write our own original plays, we act in them, and the kids direct them, design them. We do it all.

Alex: Good. That's great.

Alex: Glenn Fleishman is from Seattle, Washington. He is a journalist. And Apple--I just finished reading the book on the biography of Steven Jobs, and Apple sent you one of the first iPods, I believe, before it was released to the public, right?

Glenn: Yeah, it was about a month before it had come out, so I could take a look at it. And the first thing I did with it, of course, was put it in a headphone jack, a set of headphones, and broke it. [Laughs]

Alex: So you didn't get a chance to review it as it was?

Glenn: They were very kind. They sent me another one on loan, so I could actually take a look at it, but it was a little embarrassing.

Alex: Oh, I'm sure it was. Okay.

Alex: Meredith Lowmaster from Quincy, Massachusetts. Tell me about your pet lizard.

Meredith: My pet lizard's name--

Alex: Is it a gecko?

Meredith: No, it is not a gecko. It's a green anole. He's about four inches long. He's very cute. And his name is Dresden.

Alex: Why Dresden?

Meredith: It's actually a really lame pun. I named it after the main character of a book series named Harry Dresden, and he's a wizard.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Meredith had $2,800, Glenn had $4,800, and Erin was at $3,600. Erin wagered $800.

THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an animation of the globe on the monitor.) The tropic of Capricorn separates two climatic zones--the tropical one & this zone that extends south to the Antarctic circle
(Erin: What is the Arctic Zone?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV NETWORK NAMES $400: Nickname for the Magic Johnson/James Worthy-era Lakers

WORN UNDERNEATH $600: Bear with us--this traditionally male first name is also used for a woman's one-piece underslip

IT'S ALWAYS "I", "I", "I" $400: Of the 4 basic operations in arithmetic, the 2 that each fit the category
(Glenn: What is addition and multiplication?)
(Erin: What is division and--)
(Alex: Sorry, too much time.)

WORN UNDERNEATH $1000: It's a coarse, stiff petticoat worn under a hoop skirt

IT'S ALWAYS "I", "I", "I" $800: Rum cocktail named for a Cuban village
(Erin: What is a Mai Tai?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Glenn: $4,800
Meredith: $2,800
Erin: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TOPIC OF CAPRICORNS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
QUOTH THE POET (3/5)
THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WARS (3/5)
CLICHES (5/5)
EARLY AMERICAN CONSTRUCTION (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT KIND OF MOVIE ANIMAL ARE YOU? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erin: 13 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Glenn: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Meredith: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Meredith had $7,200, Glenn had $9,200, and Erin was at $11,600. Erin wagered $1,000.

THE TOPIC OF CAPRICORNS $800: Capricorn is a goat who scales mountains, like this Capricorn who said in 1968, "I've been to the mountaintop"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Meredith had $6,000, Glenn had $7,600, and Erin was at $15,400. Erin wagered $2,000.

EARLY AMERICAN CONSTRUCTION $1600: This 16-letter science of tree-ring dating tells us a structure in Dedham, Mass. is the USA's oldest timber frame house
(Erin: Ugh. What is ringology?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUOTH THE POET $1600: "But, if thou spare to fling Excalibur, I will arise and slay thee with my hands"
(Alex: From "Le Morte d'Arthur" by [*].)

QUOTH THE POET $2000: "Out of the cradle endlessly rocking, out of the mocking-bird's throat, the musical shuttle"
(Alex: That would be America's poet, [*].)

EARLY AMERICAN CONSTRUCTION $1200: Built between 200 B.C. & 500 A.D., the earthworks called the Hopewell Mounds are in this Great Lakes state

THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WARS $800: Nobody won the Peace Prize in 1939, but both Neville Chamberlain & this Munich Pact partner were nominated
(Alex: Hard to believe, but [*] was nominated for the Peace Prize.)

THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WARS $2000: In 1955 Dwight Eisenhower was a losing nominee despite his 1953 U.N. speech known as these "for Peace"

THE TOPIC OF CAPRICORNS $2000: John C. Fremont was glad to have this sure-footed Capricorn guiding him along the Oregon Trail in 1842

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Erin: $13,400
Glenn: $7,600
Meredith: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLACE NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Erin: Wager $1,801 to cover Glenn.
Glenn: You have the hope of surpassing Erin if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Erin to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Meredith.
Meredith: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From 1953 until 1990 Chemnitz, Germany was named for this man

FINAL SCORES
Meredith: $6,000 - $4,000 = $2,000 (Who is Oppenheimer) (3rd place: $1,000)
Glenn: $7,600 + $7,599 = $15,199 (Who is Karl Marx?) (New champion: $15,199)
Erin: $13,400 - $1,801 = $11,599 (Who is B Wagner?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Glenn] Yes, it was called Karl-Marx-Stadt in East Germany.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Erin: $16,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Glenn: $7,600, 16 R, 3 W
Meredith: $6,000, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $29,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Erin: 22/61 = .361
Glenn: 17/58 = .293
Meredith: 8/58 = .138
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ESCAPIST LITERATURE $1000: This 1950 Paul Brickhill book that inspired a film tells of a mass breakout from Stalag Luft III
(Erin: What is Stalag 17?)
[No applause for Glenn's run of the category.]

WHAT KIND OF MOVIE ANIMAL ARE YOU? $400: Mumble in "Happy Feet"
[Meredith picks the first clue of the round.]

QUOTH THE POET $1200: "The owl and the pussy-cat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat"
(Meredith: Who is Lewis Carroll?)

THE TOPIC OF CAPRICORNS $400: Aptly, this author of "Tropic of Capricorn" was, in fact, a Capricorn
(Glenn: Who is James?)

THE TOPIC OF CAPRICORNS $1200: With the typical patience of a Capricorn, she studied & was accepted by mountain gorillas in Rwanda
(Meredith: Uh, who is Jane Goodall?)
(Alex: Jane Goodall was with the chimps, and we have less than a minute to deal with the last four clues.)

THE TOPIC OF CAPRICORNS $1600: In emergencies, Capricorns are resourceful, like this woman who nursed the wounded in the 1st Battle of Bull Run
(Glenn: Who is Florence Nightingale?)
(Alex: [*], yes. America.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Temperate Zone
Showtime
a teddy
division & multiplication
a crinoline
a daiquiri
Martin Luther King
dendrochronology
Tennyson
Walt Whitman
Ohio
Adolf Hitler
Atoms
Kit Carson
Karl Marx
The Great Escape
a penguin
(Edward) Lear
(Henry) Miller
(Dian) Fossey
Clara Barton
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Place Names
From 1953 until 1990 Chemnitz, Germany was named for this man.

Spoiler
Who is Karl Marx? Meredith said Oppenheimer; Erin said Wagner.

Erin McCready: $13,400-$1,801=$11,599
Glenn Fleishman: $7,600+$7,599=$15,199...now a 1-day champion with $15,199
Meredith Lowmaster: $6,000-$4,000=$2,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash on Teddy and the multiplication/division in "I I I". Had to pick up the latter on the rebound since I miscounted "multiplication" at first.

"This Great Lakes state" was a HUGE negbait for Michigan IMO (American Construction for $1200).

0/15 on the entire left half of the DJ! board. I knew Poet for $400 was "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" but blanked on who wrote it; the other 14 on that side of the board were completely inaccessible to me.

I thought Karl Marx was much further back than that.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Two things:

Can I...? Can I...? Can I...? :shock:

Death, taxes, and giant killers losing their next game. Never fails.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Contrary to Alex's suggestion, the dates hurt rather than helped me on FJ. The period 1953-1990 made me think of the Cold War, East Germany, and the Soviets, so I ended up going with Stalin (who died in 1953, so it actually could have made sense to rename a city after him). I would've needed more TOM to get to Marx.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How the hell were 1953 and 1990 supposed to be TOMs for Karl Marx? He was active in the mid-late 1800s.

Also, what was the TOM for shrimp on Celebrity Cookbooks for $600? I had no idea what that clue was talking about.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How the hell were 1953 and 1990 supposed to be TOMs for Karl Marx? He was active in the mid-late 1800s.

Also, what was the TOM for shrimp on Celebrity Cookbooks for $600? I had no idea what that clue was talking about.
During that time, Chemnitz was part of East Germany. Communism + German = Marx.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

The late DD. The time to say "Alex, I'll bet a fin."

Whimper
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Ok, so the Detroit affiliate totally screwed the pooch; when they came back from commercial before FJ, they had cut to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME!! (According to J-Archive, it was the game from a year ago!) So...what happened in the game?! I take it that Glenn won (Congrats!), but how did it go down?! I'm dying over here!! (And what's up with the Detroit affiliate??)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

happybooker wrote:The late DD. The time to say "Alex, I'll bet a fin."
Yep. And as soon as she lost the lock, Slam's rule pretty much told me who won. ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dr. J wrote:Ok, so the Detroit affiliate totally screwed the pooch; when they came back from commercial before FJ, they had cut to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME!! (According to J-Archive, it was the game from a year ago!) So...what happened in the game?! I take it that Glenn won (Congrats!), but how did it go down?! I'm dying over here!! (And what's up with the Detroit affiliate??)
Wow. Shortening FJ! music, then managing to show an episode that's a year old. And I thought WBKB (We Barely Know Broadcasting) in Alpena was royally b0rked...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Dr. J wrote: (And what's up with the Detroit affiliate??)
They're euphoric over the fact their team totally waxed the evil empire (not that I'm bitter or anything) and could not care less about what they air now, until the World Series starts!
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

DWS wrote:Contrary to Alex's suggestion, the dates hurt rather than helped me on FJ. The period 1953-1990 made me think of the Cold War, East Germany, and the Soviets, so I ended up going with Stalin (who died in 1953, so it actually could have made sense to rename a city after him). I would've needed more TOM to get to Marx.
I had flop sweat when I saw the clue, because I did not have the information. However, I spent several years studying German in high school and college and reading pre-WWII and post-WWII literature...and remember when the wall fell. I had to deduce that Karl Marx was the only possible answer, but I didn't know, and I was dying until I was told it was correct.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Dr. J wrote:Ok, so the Detroit affiliate totally screwed the pooch; when they came back from commercial before FJ, they had cut to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME!! (According to J-Archive, it was the game from a year ago!) So...what happened in the game?! I take it that Glenn won (Congrats!), but how did it go down?! I'm dying over here!! (And what's up with the Detroit affiliate??)
Happened in at least one market! I had friends on Twitter posting pictures of the screen saying, "what the h happened?"

I won! The clue was about a German city that had one name from 1953 to 1990. I can't even remember it (I haven't rewatched the episode; viewing party in under two hours), but I reasoned it had to be Karl Marx because of Germany and the dates. WHEW. Great match.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Haven't seen the show but FJ seems pretty gettable. Got to be a Communist based on the years. Marx just happens to be German. Can't see them naming the town after a Russian. Oh and indeed there was a town called Karl Marx Stadt.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Glenn! The Boardie hit parade keeps on keepin' on. Always nice to see (and see Slam's Rule vindicated as well).

SAotD: Hitler!

For some stupid reason I went with Lenin for FJ. Should have stayed with German commie pinkos (pinkoes?).
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Didn't see much of "Jeopardy!" tonight because of the press of errands and such, so I only could concentrate on the FJ question. Like others on the board, I focused on the dates --- 1953 to 1990 --- and instantly thought of East Germany. After the Berlin Wall fell, obviously this town would change its name. But would the earlier name be? Then I saw 1953 and confidently said, "Ah, Stalin. Of course! Stalin died in 1953."

Yeah, right. So congrats to Glenn for getting Karl Marx. *Great* answer, and I had to feel sorry for your two competitors... Oppenheimer? Wagner? I got the feeling they both saw time slipping away and felt pressed to write something, anything down on the board. And I felt really foolish when my wife Mona --- who knows my love of WWII and Cold War history --- looked at me and archly said, "You *really* think a German city would be named after Stalin, after what the Russians did to them during the war?" Oops!

And now, oddly for me, I'm now starting to watch this season without personally knowing any of the contestants. A strange feeling, but I'm looking forward to seeing if any of my fellow would-be contestants from my Boston audition last May show up as the season progresses.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I don't seem to recall exactly what Slam's Rule is. It isn't in the Archive glossary, so could someone explain?

I thought it was very sweet of Alex to point out that the game was no longer a runaway, just in case Erin didn't quite fully grasp the implications of that final DD wager.

So how embarrassing would it be to admit that I answered Edmund Hilary instead of Martin Luther King Jr. for the Capricorn clue about someone who had "been to the mountaintop"? Apparently at that moment my brain was thinking literally, rather than figuratively, about the mountaintop.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

happybooker wrote:The late DD. The time to say "Alex, I'll bet a fin."

Whimper
Yes, late clue DD wagering is something we don't discuss enough.

She was $200 over a lock. There is one $2,000 clue left, but the minute warning had been given several clues ago so this will most likely be it, especially if you take your sweet time about it.

With her bet, she must get it right to keep your lock or hope there is time for the last clue and then get it right.

Add me to those who went with Stalin. He died in 1953, so I figured they named it after him to honor him and then dropped it after the wall fell.