Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6460, 2012-10-19

CONTESTANTS
Matt Oldani, a manager of bear foundations from St. Louis, Missouri
Abby O'Reilly, a teacher's aide and tutor from Clifton, New Jersey
Glenn Fleishman, a technology journalist from Seattle, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. You can tell it's Friday. I walk much faster on a Friday. Glenn, good to have you back with us. Abby and Matt, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Just like that. Today you're dealing with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GONE BABY GONE (5/5)
A NOVEL CATEGORY (5/5)
ACTRESSES (5/5)
THAT'S A KEEPER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EVERYTHING'S OK (5/5)
"UTE" TELL ME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Glenn: 13 R, 1 W
Abby: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Matt: 8 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Glenn: $2,800
Matt: $2,600
Abby: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on the program today--Matt Oldani. I must admit I was a little confused when Johnny introduced you because he said, "manager of bear operations". I didn't know what that meant.

Matt: Well, everywhere I work, everyone has bear in their title, and I provide charitable gifts to organizations--specifically teddy bears--to nonprofit organizations or children in need.

Alex: Well, good for you.

Matt: Thank you. It's a lot of fun.

Alex: Yeah, I'm sure it is.

Alex: Abby O'Reilly.

Abby: Hi.

Alex: Teacher's aide and tutor from New Jersey.

Abby: Yes.

Alex: You voted for a cat as mayor?

Abby: I did vote a cat--specifically my cat. I was at a local election. I think it was a primary for president. I didn't know anyone who was running, and this cat was very popular around town. Had people say that this cat should be the mayor, so I'm like, "Just vote for the cat. I don't know anyone else."

[Laughter]

Alex: Good move. Instead of, "none of the above", put your cat's name down.

Alex: All right, Glenn Fleishman, we touched on this yesterday briefly. You're a writer in modern-technology stuff. What do you write about specifically?

Glenn: Well, I write about a lot of things, but I'm most interested in how technology improves people's lives, as opposed to acquiring gadgets.
There's always more gadgets you can buy, and I'd rather know how it reduces energy or improves desalination or something like that instead of how to acquire the next shiny thing. But when we're dealing with individuals now, what's the way in which technology--modern technology--is going to be most beneficial to someone like me, who's not really tech savvy? Gets you information in a way you can use without having to fumble with it.

Alex: Okay, thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Abby found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Glenn had $6,200, Abby had $5,400, and Matt was at $3,600. Abby wagered $1,000.

THAT'S A KEEPER $1000: The name of this large cabinet reveals its original use for keeping weapons
(Alex: Abby?)
[Abby shakes her head]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Glenn: $6,200
Abby: $4,400
Matt: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
18th CENTURY AMERICA (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONGS (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you the songs.)
NONFICTION PULITZER WINNERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DEAR ABBEY (4/5) (Alex: Notice the spelling there.)
7-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
THE WORLDWIDE WORLD WIDE WEB (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Glenn: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Abby: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Matt: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Glenn snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Glenn had $9,000, Abby had $3,200, and Matt was at $3,600. Glenn wagered $3,000.

18th CENTURY AMERICA $2000: One of these acts passed in 1798 called for the deportation of foreigners considered dangerous

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Glenn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Glenn had $16,400, Abby had $9,200, and Matt was at $5,600. Glenn wagered $3,000.

NONFICTION PULITZER WINNERS $1600: He won a Pulitzer for his nonfiction "The Armies of the Night" as well as for his fictional "The Executioner's Song"
(Glenn: Who is Michener?)
(Alex: No, who is [*]? You were trying to picture him, I feel, and you just misspoke and gave the wrong name.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
18th CENTURY AMERICA $1200: In a 1789 Congressional race in Virginia, James Madison defeated this future president by 336 votes
(Abby: Who is Thomas Jefferson?)
(Alex: No.)
(Abby: It was a good guess, though.)
(Alex: [laughs] Who is [*]? You shouldn't have gone earlier--you should've gone later.)

BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONGS $2000: "Boy Falls From The Sky" & "Bouncing Off The Walls"
(Alex: And the boy fell from the sky on a number of occasions--[*]. Abby, back to you. No editorializing, Alex.)

THE WORLDWIDE WORLD WIDE WEB $1200: .sh is the domain extension for this place, the final home of a famous exile
(Alex: And that would be [*], and the exile, of course, Napoleon Bonaparte.)

THE WORLDWIDE WORLD WIDE WEB $1600: We bet you know .mo is the domain for this Asian gambling haven
(Alex: And that would be [*]. I guess we'd've been wrong to take that bet.)

DEAR ABBEY $1600: The legend of this liqueur says a monk invented it in 1510 at he Abbey of Fecamp
(Alex: And the correct repsonse is [*]--most pleasant.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Glenn: $18,600
Abby: $12,000
Matt: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CABLE TV FIRSTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Glenn: Wager $5,401 to cover Abby, but no more than $7,399 so as not to fall behind Matt's doubled score.
Abby: You have the hope of surpassing Glenn if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,601 to force Glenn to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $799 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Matt.
Matt: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Turner Classic Movies began broadcasting on April 14, 1994, the first movie shown was this one

FINAL SCORES
Matt: $5,600 + $5,599 = $11,199 (What is Gone With the Wind?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Abby: $12,000 - $11,999 = $1 (What is Casablanca) (3rd place: $1,000)
Glenn: $18,600 - $5,401 = $13,199 (What is Its a Wonderful Life?) (2-day champion: $28,398)
(Alex: Where is Turner Classic Movies's home base, and which famous blockbuster film had its worldwide premiere in that same city?)
(Alex: Yes, had its premiere in Atlanta where TCM is based.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Glenn: $20,600, 27 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Abby: $13,000, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Matt: $5,600, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Glenn: 27/60 = .450
Abby: 15/59 = .254
Matt: 12/58 = .207
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ACTRESSES $400: In 1977, this legendary star was the first female honored with the AFI Life Achievement Award

ACTRESSES $1000: This Swedish actress won an Emmy & a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Golda Meir
(Alex: [*], yes, a three-time Oscar winner.)
(Abby: Yes! Awesome.)

GONE BABY GONE $1000: In August of 1590 2 words carved on trees--Croatoan & Cro--were the last traces of the 100 colonists on this island
(Glenn: What is the Jamestown Colony?)
(Alex: We're going for the island.)

THAT'S A KEEPER $800: "Fair" enough-- this dressing table has a mirror & a compartment where milady can keep her cosmetics
(Matt: What is a cosmetic table?)

BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONGS $1600: "The Morning Of The Dragon" & "The American Dream"
(Matt: What is "Goodnight Saigon?")
(Alex: I believe Matt misspoke there--it cost him.)

7-LETTER WORDS $2000: It's the metal ring seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
an armoire
the Alien & Sedition Acts
Norman Mailer
James Monroe
Spider-Man
St. Helena
Macao
Benedictine
Gone with the Wind
(Bette) Davis
Ingrid Bergman
Roanoke
a vanity
Miss Saigon
a grommet
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Cable TV Firsts
When Turner Classic Movies began broadcasting on April 14, 1994, the first movie shown was this one.
Spoiler
What is Gone with the Wind? Abby said Casablanca; Glenn said It's a Wonderful Life.
Glenn Fleishman: $18,600-$5,401=$13,199...now a 2-day champion with $28,398
Abby O'Reilly: $12,000-$11,999=$1
Matt Oldani: $5,600+$5,599=$11,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Ute", but Roanoke kept me at 4/5 in Gone Baby Gone.

I've heard the term "hope chest" once or twice, but never really knew what one was.

Just plain awful DJ! for me. Only got six right: three each from $400 and $800. "X Letter Words" I usually do well in, but today they just weren't connecting at all (I wouldn't have gotten "freight" if you'd given me all day).

Was about to say "where the HELL is the TOM in this clue?" when Alex said "Now where is Turner based?" My mind just doesn't work that way. I CAN NOT put the pieces together at all. Turner->Atlanta->GWTW still seemed like a fairly obscure path, considering it was only 1/3.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I almost blurted out Michener on that Daily Double, too! I sometimes get Mailer and Michener confused, for some reason.

I spent the whole time during FJ trying to think of a movie that starred Jane Fonda, since I didn't think that there could be any other TOM associated with Ted Turner. I feel like crawling in a hole and dying for missing this one.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I vacillated between Casablanca and GWTW, but settled on GWTW. It was Turner who colorized Casablanca, yes? Horrible idea. SOOO wish I'd had those boards on one of my shows; there were a lot of categories I liked. Good job, Glenn!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Instaget on FJ, then an insta-doubt when I realized the date: could they MAYBE have shown A Night to Remember instead? No- not block-bustery enough, and GWTW is just too well associated with Atlanta.
Nice job on the second win, Glen. Good rally at the end, too, putting enough space between you and Abby that your cover wager wasn't going to leave you vulnerable to Matt doubling up, which he nearly did!
(Is Abby Frank Zappa's daughter, BTW?)
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

It being Friday night, once again, my Boston affiliate has pre-empted "Jeopardy!" for the Patriots All-Access pre-game show, just like they did for my championship game, so that most of my friends and family missed my first appearance on "Jeopardy!". Not that I dwell on it much...

"...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Oops, where did that come from?

Anyway, I saw the FJ question in this morning's New York Times, and it was an Instaget... somewhere up in the cluttered attic of my mind, I remembered reading that GWTW was Ted Turner's favorite movie.

From earlier comments, I gather congrats are in order for Glenn... so there you go, good job, Glenn. Looking forward to seeing you on Monday.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Congrats to Glenn and one awesome board for me today!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats again, Glenn.

That FJ category is so in my wheelhouse that it almost worried me. Fortunately, I knew that Ted Turner* is infatuated with GWTW, so I knew that had to be it (and probably knew it somewhere in the back of my mind anyway.

Sorry, but I don't remember a single SAotD. Must have been one in there somewhere ...

* Ted Turner calling me a "yo-yo" was one of the five stories on my card (which obviously was not the one that got used).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also knew that is Turner's favorite movie so it was an instaget for me as well.

Nice wagering by all three players. glenn made the exact MSB. Abby was getting crushed, so she went all in (minus a dollar) and did not bet to protect second place, which would have given her zero chance to win with glenn's MSB. Whether she was aware of this or just bet it all but a buck for the heck of it is something you'd have to ask her.

Glenn's MSB locks out third place even if he doubles up, but you might as well make as much as possible just in case.

Congrats on another boarie victory!!!! Retro good luck Monday.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Turner chose the launch date of TCM to mark the 100th anniversary of the first movie shown in a theater. GWTW was also the first movie shown on TNT. The film that followed GWTW on April 14, 1994?
Spoiler
Singin' In the Rain
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

For FJ I took a WAG with GWTW... a nice way to end the week!
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Bamaman wrote:I also knew that is Turner's favorite movie so it was an instaget for me as well.

Nice wagering by all three players. glenn made the exact MSB. Abby was getting crushed, so she went all in (minus a dollar) and did not bet to protect second place, which would have given her zero chance to win with glenn's MSB. Whether she was aware of this or just bet it all but a buck for the heck of it is something you'd have to ask her.
Thanks! I spent a long, long time figuring out an exact wager so that I'd win if Abby were wrong. She was young enough, I thought the odds were that she might not know the answer to something to do with cable. My dad sold cable TV door to door in 1979, of all things!

I had a rough round — the adrenaline was wearing off, it was the last taping of the day, and I missed some stuff I should have gotten. And I was kicking myself walking off: Turner + Atlanta! Only one choice. But it never entered my mind on set.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If the Turner/GWTW connection doesn't click, its pretty much "Guess an old movie and hope for the best".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Matt had correctly named Miss Saigon he would have had $8800 entering FJ. Abby would have had 10400 without the rebound. If Glenn played the DDs the same his wager with 18600 would have been 2201 to leave him with 16399 on a miss. Matt could have doubled less a buck to 17599. Glenn did plenty else to earn the victory but that exchange helped him get the repeat.

The FJ category had me wondering if Edie Falco winning Emmys for Drama and Comedy could be part of the clue. My precall was way off base. When I saw the clue I also was led to the Titanic by April 14. I knew it was too early for the Cameron version, I don't know how long it would have taken to recall A Night To Remember, and the Stanwyck from earlier didn't seem classic enough to debut a new channel.

Within another second after that train of thought I had Turner, Atlanta, GWTW, done. I like the clue since I got it, didn't know it immediately and was able to figure it out to lock it in. Glenn is squeaking by some close escapes. It would have been a lot easier if he had named Mailer to seal the match. Search Norman Mailer in the archive and see all the hits.

Paucle: Your Abby comment fer sure had me holding back a bitchen laugh even if she wasn't from Encino.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My first thought was Casablanca, and I was trying to think of Turner properties. Then I zeroed in on the date and was trying to think of classic movies about Abraham Lincoln (he was shot on 4/14/1865) when my dad said, "Turner, Atlanta, Gone with the Wind." My thinking wasn't close, but afterward I could imagine my wrong thinking getting me to the Civil War and thence to GWTW. But I'm not bothered about writing that off as a wrong FJ for me.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Glenn is squeaking by some close escapes. It would have been a lot easier if he had named Mailer to seal the match. Search Norman Mailer in the archive and see all the hits.
Don't you know it! I had a few weaknesses in literature (though not many), and I should have known Mailer. Michener was just a guess. Alex was quite kind about that. I also should have gotten Roanoke. I had just read an article a few months ago about the CRO/CROATAN writing, and I knew it was Roanoke and I said Jamestown. Bummer. As it was, I did a lot of math before locking in my FJ bet. I had to make the assumption that Abby might get the answer right or wrong, and I had to lock in a position where we were both wrong or both right. In either case, had to make sure to have the margin to beat Matt if he were right.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

glennfleishman wrote:I had to make the assumption that Abby might get the answer right or wrong
That's a safe assumption!
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

First time on the JBoard. Was curious about Glenn's response "A Hundred Years of Solitude"... I've always seen it as "One Hundred Years of Solitude", and was half-way expecting it to be rejected. Are the powers-that-be more lenient when it's a translation of a title??
And congratulations, Glenn, on a second win.. best luck (retroactively) for the future!