Wednesday, October 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6463, 2012-10-24

Keith Whitener game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Deepa Zavatsky, an attorney from Princeton, New Jersey
Keith Whitener, a research chemist originally from Charlotte, North Carolina
Betsy Chisolm, a volunteer storyteller from Greeley, Colorado (whose 2-day cash winnings total $25,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Johnny, thank you for that intro. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. This is gonna be a good half-hour for me. I get to spend it in the company of three very bright young people. Betsy, as you'll recall, won $5,000 two days ago but made up for that yesterday, and so she has an impressive total right now, which Keith and Deepa would like to match, I'm sure. Let's see what happens. Good luck. Here we go. And the categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE RUM DIARIES (5/5)
GREAT IDEAS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEASTLY COLLECTIVES (5/5)
TV THEME SONG HITS (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the TV show.)
THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE (2/2)
WHICH WORD IS MIZPELED? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deepa: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Keith: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Betsy: 8 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Keith found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Betsy was in the hole with -$1,000, Keith had $1,200, and Deepa had a deficit with -$1,000. Keith wagered $500.

GREAT IDEAS $1000: In 1971 3 guys at this company first put a computer CPU on a chip

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Keith: $2,900
Betsy: -$200
Deepa: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Deepa Zavaisky is an attorney from New Jersey. They were running commercials on television a few months back that showed people making mistakes and hurting themselves, and one of the instances was of a gentleman turning away from the barbecue, heading back into the house, and walking into a glass door. That happened to you, right?

Deepa: It did happen to me, actually, at my brother's wedding.

Alex: Oh, embarrassing.

Deepa: So, uh, you know, I made quite a splash at the wedding. Broke my nose in two places, but more embarrassing than that, I actually broke the door. The hotel was not pleased.

Alex: Yeah, that's expensive stuff to repair.

Alex: Keith Whitener from Charlotte, North Carolina. Research chemist who accidentally... made TNT in the lab?

Keith: Yeah. One day, I was in the lab--

Alex: How does one make TNT accidentally?

Keith: Well, I'm--I'm not gonna tell you how to make TNT--

Alex: Oh.

Keith: 'Cause I think that might get me into trouble. But I was using the wrong solvent and the wrong chemical, and I mixed them together.

Alex: Did you get a "D" or an "F" in the class?

Keith: This wasn't for a class. This was for research.

Alex: Oh, hello. All on your own. Okay.

Alex: Betsy Chisolm is from Greeley, Colorado. We talked a couple days ago about the fact that you went to the Art Institute in Chicago, and it was very cold. But you had an experience in Michigan during a snowstorm which was kind of unusual.

Betsy: Yes, it was New Year's Day. I had been staying at a friend's house for a party the night before and got separated from a group taking a walk and couldn't remember where I was staying. I was lost. And knocked on the first door that had a car parked in front of it. The door opened, and Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago was sitting there, watching the football game.

Alex: In Michigan?

Betsy: Yes. He was also staying with friends' in his--at his summer home.

Alex: Small world.

Betsy: The young man of the house knew right where I was staying and gave me a ride home, so the mayor was not inconvenienced much.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GREAT IDEAS $600: In the 1920s Otto Rohwedder saw the popularity of toasters & invented this device to make toasting easier
(Deepa: What is the toaster oven?)
(Betsy: What is the pop-up part of the toaster?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Keith: $4,500
Deepa: $4,200
Betsy: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FORMER EASTERN BLOC (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COMMUNICATION (5/5)
WHAT THE DICKENS! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE 2012 OLYMPICS (5/5)
THE GUNFIGHT AT... (3/3)
THE "OK" CORRAL (5/5) (Alex: And each correct response in that category will begin with the letters "O-K".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Betsy: 13 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Keith: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Deepa: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Betsy snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Betsy had $4,600, Keith had $4,900, and Deepa was at $4,200. Betsy wagered $2,000.

WHAT THE DICKENS! $1200: This novel set in London & Paris was first published serially in 1859

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Betsy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Betsy had $14,600, Keith had $4,500, and Deepa was at $5,400. Betsy wagered $2,000.

THE FORMER EASTERN BLOC $1600: This present-day country used to be part of a larger nation & kept the old flag seen here
(Betsy: What is Croatia?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Betsy: $17,800
Keith: $12,500
Deepa: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ELEMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Betsy: Wager $7,201 to cover Keith.
Keith: You ought to wager to cover Deepa, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $12,500. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $4,700 (to shut out Deepa) or less than $1,900 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Deepa). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Betsy.
Deepa: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $2,000), you might try betting $3,901, playing for a win if Keith tries to two-thirds Betsy (though, from this position, a wager of all $8,600 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Keith to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This element was discovered extraterrestrially in 1868; it took 27 more years until someone isolated it on Earth

FINAL SCORES
Deepa: $8,600 - $1,600 = $7,000 (What is Plutonium Uranium?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Keith: $12,500 + $12,500 = $25,000 (What is Helium?) (New champion: $25,000)
Betsy: $17,800 - $8,800 = $9,000 (What is plutonium?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Betsy: $19,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Keith: $13,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Deepa: $8,600, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Betsy: 21/60 = .350
Keith: 19/59 = .322
Deepa: 14/58 = .241
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GREAT IDEAS $800: In 1879 Samuel Dodd, this wealthy man's lawyer, came up with the idea of business trusts
(Deepa: Who is Sherman?)
(Betsy: Who is Morgan?)

WHICH WORD IS MIZPELED? $200: You must be cognizant of misspellings in a catagory like this, otherwise you might be embarrassed
(Betsy: What is embarrassed?)

BEASTLY COLLECTIVES $1000: A group of owls is known as this, like the Canadian legislature
[Applause for Deepa's run of the category]

THE RUM DIARIES $600: Day 24:
After distillation, I am clear & clean & am told I will gain color from aging in this customary wood
(Alex: [*] is right, with a minute to go.)

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map of the U.S. on the monitor.) In 1976, America was split straight down the middle; Jimmy Carter dominated the blue East, but the red West was solid for this man

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map of the U.S. on the monitor.) The North & South were clearly divided in 1888, when Republican Benjamin Harrison lost the popular vote but edged out this incumbent in the Electoral College
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

WHAT THE DICKENS! $2000: Little Nell, but not the proverbial cat, dies in this 1840-41 work
(Keith: Uh... what is Bleak House?)
(Alex: [To Betsy] You got it again. You ran the category. Nicely done.)
[Applause, though she did not run the category]

THE "OK" CORRAL $800: In "The Grapes of Wrath", "the owners knew they were soft and" these people "strong"
(Deepa: What are the workers?)

THE FORMER EASTERN BLOC $400: In August 2008 the U.S. reached an agreement to base this type of system in Poland; the Russians weren't happy
(Betsy: What is a space defense system?)

THE FORMER EASTERN BLOC $800: From the monument seen here, you can tell why this Romanian city was once called "Little Paris"

THE GUNFIGHT AT... $2000: Frank Loving finally got his in an 1882 gunfight with John Allen in Trinidad, Colorado, along this trail
(Keith: What is the Oregon Trail?)
(Alex: That's the one, with a minute to go.)

COMMUNICATION $1200: Heliographs go back to ancient Greek soldiers who polished these to a mirror shine & used them to send messages
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Intel
the bread slicer
A Tale of Two Cities
the Czech Republic
helium
Rockefeller
category
a parliament
oak
Ford
Grover Cleveland
The Old Curiosity Shop
the Okies
a missile defense system
Bucharest
the Santa Fe Trail
shields
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

The Elements
This element was discovered extraterrestrially in 1868; it took 27 more years until someone isolated it on earth.

Spoiler
What is Helium? Deepa crossed out Plutonium and said Uranium; Betsy said Plutonium.

Betsy Chisolm: $17,800-$8,800=$9,000
Keith Whitener: $12,500+$12,500=$25,000...now a 1-day champion with $25,000
Deepa Zavatsky: $8,600-$1,600=$7,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Although I majored in English Literature and took few science courses, I responded correctly to FJ because I just finished reading a remarkable book, The Disappearing Spoon. This book would be an excellent choice for anyone who is seeking reference sources while preparing to be a contestant on Jeopardy!. It's immensely entertaining while being educational. If chemistry had been taught like this when I was in school, I'd probably have majored in chemistry.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Make toasting easier" -> "bread slicer" was a huge leap of logic IMO. And not just because I've never seen a bread slicer in my life.

Also, I was lost in that Rum category. I somehow got "bat" in my head on $800 but didn't pull the trigger, since I don't know crap about rum. (That sugarcane clue in particular baffled me.)

That A Tale of Two Cities clue may have been the easiest DD ever.

I had no idea what the hell Eastern Bloc for $400 was talking about.

Unlike with biology, I actually had a decent chem teacher, so I can retain elemental knowledge better. I bounced all over the radioactive -iums and never settled on one. Even when Alex said it was important in the early 20th century, I was still thinking radioactive. What the heck made it so important? I would've thought for sure that helium was discovered a hell of a lot earlier since it's so high on the periodic table.

And you wonder why I never bother to guess — because when I do, it's always, always, ALWAYS wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So bathroom doors have shapes on them, eh? Ok.

For FJ, I figured the element had to come from the Sun, so H and He were the top two choices and I know H was discovered back in the 1600s or so.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:So bathroom doors have shapes on them, eh? Ok.
http://findersfree.com/wp-content/uploa ... -signs.jpg
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Safe to say that Keith has indeed done better than the Bobcats. :lol:

NC FTW :D
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Went for Uranium. The 1880s sounded right for the discovery of the planet and then the time taken to isolate an element (a century off on discovery), with the infancy of atomic energy bringing about the man-made isolation, but it was a nice get on Helium

Oddly enough, this was the first game where Betsy seemed like a force to me. Some really nice gets, two very competitive players, getting through much of the boards (in DJ at least), it was a good overall game.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

An exciting game with both women deep in the red in the very beginning but both regaining relatively quickly. Guess that's why they call it "Jeopardy!"

Did okay with the Eastern Bloc questions (except for the one about the row of lime trees. Hunh?)

Crashed and burned during the FJ question... over thought it. If it was extraterrestial, I knew it had be some sort of gas, probably from the sun. But hydrogen seemed too easy --- heck, run an electrical current through water and it breaks down to hydrogen and oxygen (not bad for an English major, eh?) --- and I also thought helium was too easy, since I knew reserves of helium had been found in the earth for a while and we had huge reserves of helium that we refused to sell to Germany, which led to them using hydrogen for their zeppelins which led to the Hindenburg yadda yadda yadda...

So I made a leap of illogic and thought it might be one of the noble gases, probably Xenon since it had an 'x' for extraterrestial and boy... was I wrong!

Congrats to Keith, who obviously had a big grin on his face (as a chemist) when the category Elements came up.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My first thought was Uranium, given that it was named for a planet, and I knew most of the other radioactive elements (such as Plutonium) were based on Uranium, so none of them could have been "discovered" in space. I thought it may have been Radium, as I wasn't exactly sure of the timeframe of Marie Curie's work, but thought 1895 seemed plausible, so they were giving players an opportunity to do the math in order to match the date up with her most famous discovery. I had no idea that Uranium was isolated 100 years earlier, and that Helium came along so relatively recently. It makes sense, as I know Helium is in the sun, but I just wasn't thinking about an element that high on the periodic table.

I liked Alex's comment of "You're close, though." when Betsy said Croatia instead of the Czech Republic. Why yes, she was closer than if she had guessed, say, Iceland, Malaysia, or Bolivia, but when the category is "The Former Eastern Bloc", I wouldn't exactly call that "close". Slovakia would be close. Croatia, not so much.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My guess for the FJ clue was selenium. I have been missing a lot of gettable FJs this season.

I didn't see this game but I had been impressed with Betsy. I am sad to see her go.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm surprised that so many don't realize that position on the Table has nothing to do with date of discovery.

For those interested, here is a list in order of discovery: http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=Discovery

Until you hit 97, none of the elements are in their proper chronological order.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had radium for FJ. I focused on the years and figured the Curies were active in 1895. I considered helium/hydrogen but thought they had been around longer than that.

If we need a BMS wehn someone says George Bush for Reagan's VP, we certainly need one when somebody says Germany for something that happened in 1950.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sherman for the Rockefeller clue gave me a good laugh. I was not laughing when Keith got one in TV Themes and switched out. At least play returned there and let the political fans be mad when it was The Electoral College not completed.

Ryan Lochte, Ryan Lochte, Ryan Lochte, Ryan Lochte, Ryan Lochte. That's my punishment for drowning on his name on what should have been an easy 6000 instead of 5200.

The FJ was great news for Keith and bad news for me. Uranium, plutonium, hydrogen, helium, nitrogren...I went the wrong way narrowing it down to H or He. In the studio it could have gone the other way. Last night I got the solve at home where panic could have set in with the studio conditions. Helium is a miss tonight, but a WTG double up by Keith.

Glenn: You've heard about it in the Tuesday thread, but you got me as well with the comment about seeing three players with none of them Betsy in the weekly trailer on the J! site. At least it was a lesser week (so no big deal) and not a spoiler that a champ with a longer run would soon be done. The J! people have a long history of doing that including a photo in the gallery for the 1999 TOC showing the finalists. Look but don't tell.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Missed FJ -- went with Deepa on both uranium and plutonium (heck, at least those have planets in their names!). Helium -- from Helios, I imagine -- didn't even occur to me. Off to study stepson's copy of The Elements AND The Disappearing Spoon!

I was surprised to see an Olympics category, considering that the contestants filmed only a week or two after they finished; seemed a bit too easy to me.

Ran TV theme songs, and am now humming "Believe It or Not." Thanks a lot for the earworm, Jeopardy...
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

That was a fantastic game. Completely redeemed my Monday appearance, and was even better than last night. Back story is that Martin (on last night) and Deepa (on this evening) were both with me on day 1, and were the holdovers guaranteed to appear on the Wednesday. I was glad to not play either of them (you get fond of people you spend time with), but I'm sorry neither won a day. However, what a fabulous game this evening. So exciting to hit a Final Jeopardy with the potential for anyone to come out of it.

A little unfair: Elements as a category with a chemist as a contestant.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Dr. J wrote:Missed FJ -- went with Deepa on both uranium and plutonium (heck, at least those have planets in their names!). Helium -- from Helios, I imagine -- didn't even occur to me. Off to study stepson's copy of The Elements AND The Disappearing Spoon!
I went for iridium! I was thinking about elements that are prevalent in space. Wikipedia says, though, "Iridium was discovered in 1803 among insoluble impurities in natural platinum."

That was just a fabulous game.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Dr. J wrote:Missed FJ -- went with Deepa on both uranium and plutonium (heck, at least those have planets in their names!). Helium -- from Helios, I imagine -- didn't even occur to me. Off to study stepson's copy of The Elements AND The Disappearing Spoon!

I was surprised to see an Olympics category, considering that the contestants filmed only a week or two after they finished; seemed a bit too easy to me.

Ran TV theme songs, and am now humming "Believe It or Not." Thanks a lot for the earworm, Jeopardy...
A different version of it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-TqEFYcfM
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

billy pilgrim wrote:
Dr. J wrote: Ran TV theme songs, and am now humming "Believe It or Not." Thanks a lot for the earworm, Jeopardy...
A different version of it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-TqEFYcfM
I had a feeling I knew what that was going to be, but it still put a smile on my face. Thanks billy!