Thursday, October 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6464, 2012-10-25

Keith Whitener game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Hayden Williams, a bakery owner and caterer from North Creek, New York
Erik Greb, a medical magazine editor from Somerset, New Jersey
Keith Whitener, a research chemist originally from Charlotte, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I'm often asked what makes a successful player on Jeopardy! Well, you have to be knowledgeable, you have to have good reflexes to be the first to ring in, and luck plays a very important part also. Perfect example: on yesterday's program, in our Final, a tough Final, in which the correct response was, "What is helium?" Well, it turns out that Keith Whitener, did you write, or, uh, read an article on helium not so long ago?

Keith: I entered an essay contest for it.

Alex: And you wrote about helium.

Keith: Yes, I did.

Alex: And it paid off to the tune of twenty-five thousand dollars. Now Erik and Sarah, the same could happen with you today. It all depends on those categories. So let's find out what they are in the first round of play for today. Here they are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 5 SENSES (5/5)
HEARING (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SMELL (5/5)
TASTE (4/5)
SITE (3/4)
TOUCHÉ (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Keith: 16 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Erik: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sarah: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erik found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Keith had $400, Erik had $1,200, and Sarah was at $400. Erik wagered $800.

HEARING $1000: This 10-letter type of hearing figures out whether someone has the mental capacity to stand trial

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erik: $2,800
Keith: $2,600
Sarah: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Sarah Hayden Williams is a bakery owner and caterer who catered her own wedding, for how many people?

Sarah: Three hundred. Actually, more than that, but…

Alex: Good idea or bad idea in retrospect?

Sarah: Bad idea in retrospect, but it turned out great.

Alex: Why was it a bad idea?

Sarah: Um, well, you know, most brides enjoy their wedding morning of, you know, getting ready, primping, you know, nails and make-up, and I was baking rolls and glazing cupcakes.

Alex: Good.

Alex: Erik Greb, medical magazine editor who writes stories about which afflictions?

Erik: Neurologic afflictions, like Parkinson’s, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s.

Alex: Anything new coming up in Alzheimer’s? Because I’m advancing in age now, and I, I need to know these things.

[Laughter]

Erik: There’s a new candidate, but it’s still in its early stages, so…

Alex: Yeah.

Erik: We won’t know, sorry.

Alex: Ok.

Keith Whitener is our champion, getting married soon to a woman he once broke up with.

Keith: Yeah, yeah, well, we went on a couple of dates a few years ago, and I kinda called it off. Then we got back together a few years after that, and now we're gonna be getting married very soon.

Alex: Is she in the audience today?

Keith: She sure is.

Alex: She's here cheering you on. Okay, well, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HEARING $600: This word that follows "bail" is also the type of hearing that sets the amount of a defendant's bail
(Alex: And that word is [*], bail [*].)

TOUCHÉ $600: In this 1986 film Sean Connery as Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez instructs Connor MacLeod in swordplay

TOUCHÉ $800: Swordplay in movies like 1926's "The Black Pirate" earned this "senior" actor the title "king of the swashbucklers"
(Erik: Who is John Barrymore?)

TASTE $800: Simple yet elegant--I only drink tea from china cups made by this pottery master born in 1730
(Sarah: Who is Limoges?)

SITE $400: This news website that lets you share "top news" sounds like it's trying to get to China the hard way

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Keith: $9,400
Erik: $2,400
Sarah: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NAME THAT CENTURY (4/5)
MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you clues about [*]. You identify the artist.)
BOOKS & AUTHORS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EURO COINS (2/4)
ONE MAN, ONE BOAT (1/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A "HA"! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Keith: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Erik: 3 R, 0 W
Sarah: 4 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Keith had $14,200, Erik had $4,400, and Sarah was at $2,800. Sarah wagered $2,000.

BOOKS & AUTHORS $1600: The title of this E. M. Forster novel refers to a country house, not to someone's death
(Sarah: What is--?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Keith who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Keith had $16,200, Erik had $4,400, and Sarah was at $800. Keith wagered $2,000.

ONE MAN, ONE BOAT $1600: Edward Miles took the short way around, sailing solo through this canal completed in 1869

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NAME THAT CENTURY $2000: Muhammad's forces conquer Mecca
(Keith: What is the 8th century?)
(Alex: It happened in the 600s, so it was [*])

EURO COINS $1200: This 3-word motto of the French Republic is on France's 1- & 2-euro coins
(Keith: What is liberté, fraternité, égalité?)
(Alex: Keith, you got the right words but the wrong order, and because it was a motto we needed [*].)

EURO COINS $1600: This queen is seen in profile on all of the Netherlands' euro coins

A "HA"! $800: Something for sale at an auction is said to be "under" this

MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS $1600: 2003, Best Group Video: "The Scientist" (those Brits give us chills)

BOOKS & AUTHORS $2000: To disprove rumors of body-stealing after his 1778 death, his grave in Paris' Panthéon was opened in 1897; he's in there
(Alex: And that French author is [*]. Also, Jean-Jacques Rousseau is there too.)

ONE MAN, ONE BOAT $1200: In 1969 Robin Knox-Johnston sailed around the world solo & nonstop, earning a trophy called this, like an acting award
(Sarah: What is an Oscar?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now Keith)

ONE MAN, ONE BOAT $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands near a map.) The Panama Canal hadn't been built in 1895, so Joshua Slocum, the first man to sail solo around the world, took the long way, passing through this strait on his three-year voyage
[end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Keith: $18,200 (lock game)
Erik: $4,400
Sarah: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LANGUAGES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Keith: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Erik: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Sarah: You've no hope of catching up... unless Erik does something stupid. So risk $799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the Romance languages, it has the greatest number of native speakers in a single country

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $800 - $799 = $1 (What is Brazil?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Erik: $4,400 + $4,400 = $8,800 (What is Portuguese) (2nd place: $2,000)
Keith: $18,200 + $8,000 = $26,200 (What is Portuguese?) (2-day champion: $51,200)
(Alex: And that country is one of the world's largest.)
[After Sarah's response is revealed]
(Alex: No, sorry. You picked the country, but we were going for the language. So you had the right country but the wrong response.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Keith: $17,800, 27 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Erik: $4,600, 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sarah: $2,800, 7 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $25,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Keith: 28/59 = .475
Erik: 9/59 = .153
Sarah: 7/59 = .119
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TASTE $200: I show my exquisite taste by collecting this genre of oil painting seen here

SITE $200: An FAQ on this agency's .gov website asks, "What is a split refund?"
(Sarah: What is the Department of Taxation?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now, Keith.)

NAME THAT CENTURY $1600: Cortez conquers the Aztecs
(Sarah: What is the 15th century?)

A "HA"! $1600: Hot enough for you? These peppers named for a Caribbean capital definitely will be

CORRECT RESPONSES
competence
bond
Highlander
Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.
Wedgwood
Digg
Howard's End
the Suez Canal
the 7th century
liberté, égalité & fraternité
Queen Beatrix
the hammer
Coldplay
Voltaire
Golden Globe
the Strait of Magellan
Portuguese
a still life
the IRS
the 16th century
habaneros
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

World Languages
Of the Romance languages, it has the greatest number of native speakers in a single country.

Spoiler
What is Portuguese? Sarah said Brazil. (right country, but they were looking for the language)
Keith Whitener: $18,200+$8,000=$26,200
Erik Greb: $4,400+$4,400=$8,800
Sarah Hayden Williams: $800-$799=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:D

At this rate, he's also doing better than the Panthers. :(
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

There was something off about this episode I thought. Multiple weird edits and something else I can't quite put my finger on. Just a strange episode.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

What was up with the last DD being about determining which of the two major canals was built in 1862, and then IMMEDIATELY afterwards, Sarah from the Clue Crew says "The Panama Canal wasn't built in 1895, so..."

Take those in the opposite order, and the DD clue becomes trivial. This sort of inter-category dependence seems to have been happening a lot lately.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Was rooting for Sarah- she's practically local to me. (My FaceBook homepage "banner" is actually a shot of a bend on North Creek in full fall foliage. Looks to be only slightly upriver from North Creek's hoppin' downtown! ;)) (Wanted to post it here, but it's too big.)

Not an instaget on FJ by any means, but I did suss it out. Need tomorrow's to break 50% for the week.
Did I sense an edit on "competence" given in place of "competency" for that particular hearing? Number of letters qualifies it, but I guess they had to be sure the word was valid too. I think the "Y" ending is more commonly used, though.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Was rooting for Sarah- she's practically local to me. (My FaceBook homepage "banner" is actually a shot of a bend on North Creek in full fall foliage. Looks to be only slightly upriver from North Creek's hoppin' downtown! ) (Wanted to post it here, but it's too big.)
I had the same situation since I live a hop, skip and jump from Somerset for Erik.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

amorris525 wrote:There was something off about this episode I thought. Multiple weird edits and something else I can't quite put my finger on. Just a strange episode.
Agreed. Not really "with it" tonight, but then again, am juggling more writing projects than I should, so maybe my mind is just burned out.

Swept the "What century" category, which I loved.

FJ I froze on, until the missus thoughtfully said must be Portugese, for Brazil. I initially thought Germany, but she kindly reminded me that it's not a Romance language.

Did you see how Alex cautioned the players to carefully read the clue? Poor Sarah, you could tell she was kicking herself for sort-of knowing the right answer, but giving out the name of the country instead of its language. Heartbreaking.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

marpocky wrote:What was up with the last DD being about determining which of the two major canals was built in 1862, and then IMMEDIATELY afterwards, Sarah from the Clue Crew says "The Panama Canal wasn't built in 1895, so..."
Yeah, that was odd -- and completely irrelevant. Not sure why they felt they had to throw that phrase in there, considering they showed the path taken.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Smell and MTV Video. 0/5 on Hearing and Taste. I actually made mental WAGs on everything but confession in Hearing, but didn't pull the trigger since I was extremely unsure.

I actually watched part of Highlander after a friend bugged me to start watching more movies. Couldn't understand a second of it.

When Site came up, I was hoping they'd finish it because it seemed like an easy 5/5. Then I whiffed on ESPN and was glad to hear the "time's up" buzzer.

"Under the hammer" seemed way out there at $800.

Add "Village Voice" to the list of NHOIs I've seen at $400.

FJ! I thought of Spain right away, and locked in Spanish because I figured Spain was bigger than a lot of the other European countries. Portuguese never entered my mind at all, even though I did spend a little time bouncing around South America and wondering if anything there was big enough. It's like, even when you throw it right at me, I still miss.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I thought of Mexico and said "Spanish," and with one second left, it occurred to me that maybe Portuguese was a Romance language as well. I always thought of just Spanish, French and Italian. :roll:

Did anyone else say "Competency" for "Competence?" I'm counting it as correct since it fits the clue.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

thenextofken wrote:Did anyone else say "Competency" for "Competence?" I'm counting it as correct since it fits the clue.
see my post. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was an edit there. I think the "Y" was expected and they had to confirm "e" being an acceptable alternative.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spanish never came to mind as a Romance language. If it had, I might have made the leap to Portuguese. Went with French. I actually didn't think it thorugh and when he said it was from a large country, I got excited thinking French was right with Canada.

Tough break on the lady saying Brazil, but she'd have come in third anyway.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

FJ: Was going back and forth between Spanish and Portuguese. Ultimately locked into Spanish because I reasoned Mexico City's 22 million people alone might be enough to push Mexico over the top. Then I realized Brazil was bigger, and thought that might have something to do with it. Almost changed it, but talked myself out of it at the last second... :cry:
アタックチャンス!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had to take a break from yelling at the football game although I had enough voice left to shout DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS! The Bucs are always a pain. Congrats econgator. (Sorry, but doing an early mush is my only hope.)

Some trios on J! seem like there could be a different winner if they played three times. Tonight seemed like Keith would win every game against Erik and Sarah.

I had another take on Alex's warning before giving the FJ clue that he didn't want anyone to classify English as a romance language and guess United States. No matter I read the clue as wanting the language and Portuguese because of Brazil seemed unbeatable.

MTV was run but only because I picked up on the hints for Britney and Cold Play. The songs weren't doing it.

In Name the Century do players have to say the 19th century or is saying the 1800s just as good? I looked at two category examples in the archive and gave up looking for anyone doing it the alternative way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:MTV was run but only because I picked up on the hints for Britney and Cold Play. The songs weren't doing it.
I was able to figure out the TOM on the bottom two, albeit barely with Coldplay.
MarkBarrett wrote:In Name the Century do players have to say the 19th century or is saying the 1800s just as good? I looked at two category examples in the archive and gave up looking for anyone doing it the alternative way.
I always clam on those categories because I'm afraid my mouth will say "18th century" when my brain's saying 1800s.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I took Alex's warning as pointing one away from a European country being the largest. In any case FJ was an instaget for me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Good win for Keith tonight, with buzzer dominance varying between players. FJ came easily to me, but I felt bad for Sarah's misreading of the question.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had to take a break from yelling at the football game although I had enough voice left to shout DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS! The Bucs are always a pain. Congrats econgator. (Sorry, but doing an early mush is my only hope.)
It ain't over yet. :)