Monday, October 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Monday, October 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:Actually, there is at least one law (at least in the US) that I'm aware of, you cannot name your child either as a number or with a number in their name.
So, no Zero Mostels? ;)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

What about Jennifer 8. Lee? (Although she gave herself that middle name as a teenager.)

And I seem to recall reading about a kid whose middle name was "5/8" or "3/5" or something like that. Having a hard time finding anything online about it, though.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:What about Jennifer 8. Lee? (Although she gave herself that middle name as a teenager.)

And I seem to recall reading about a kid whose middle name was "5/8" or "3/5" or something like that. Having a hard time finding anything online about it, though.
Isn't there some TV producer or something who uses 17 or XVII or something like that in his name?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
teapot37 wrote:What about Jennifer 8. Lee? (Although she gave herself that middle name as a teenager.)

Isn't there some TV producer or something who uses 17 or XVII or something like that in his name?
Are you thinking of actor David Lawrence XVII? He's best known for playing the Puppetmaster on Heroes, and according to WIki, he was the 17th David Lawrence listed on IMDB, so they listed him as David Lawrence XVII, so he changed that to his name in his official SAG registration. So not really a legal name, but a pretty funny story.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

trainman wrote:Peanuts strips
I loved Peanuts collections when I was a kid, and less so the stuff in the daily paper. I'd forgotten how trenchant Schultz could be. He became ever more watered down as the strip progressed.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

glennfleishman wrote:I loved Peanuts collections when I was a kid, and less so the stuff in the daily paper. I'd forgotten how trenchant Schultz could be. He became ever more watered down as the strip progressed.
THERE IS NO T IN HIS NAME WHY CAN NO ONE GET THAT RIGHT ARGH FSKJFHSDFKSHLAF

Sorry.

Looking back, the 90s strips are surprising in how formulaic they became (not to mention how poor the art became due to Schulz's age). By that point, 2/3 of the strip was focused on Rerun, which actually sounds rather ironic now that I think of it. I did like the "Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering X. Then I hear a voice saying Y." running gag every time it appeared, though.

I had several 1960s Peanuts paperbacks in my early years, most of which I likely found at yard sales or second-hand shops. Many of them eventually fell apart because I read them so much. When I was in 5th grade, the school library had Classroom Peanuts, a giant collection of various school-related strips from the 60s and 70s that I checked out as often as I could. (Just last year, I was happy to find it on Amazon for a very reasonable price.) The high school library had an even bigger anthology spanning from the 50s to the 90s, with a lot of biographical info on Schulz. I also checked that one out frequently, and ended up having to pay for it after I accidentally slopped salsa all over it in the cafeteria. (Oddly, they bought a new copy but still kept the old one in circulation.)
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:I loved Peanuts collections when I was a kid, and less so the stuff in the daily paper. I'd forgotten how trenchant Schultz could be. He became ever more watered down as the strip progressed.
That makes me sad, and I'm the one who misspelled it.

On the other hand, boardies know that it's common for me to add an extra letter into proper names that start with 'S'.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: THERE IS NO T IN HIS NAME WHY CAN NO ONE GET THAT RIGHT ARGH FSKJFHSDFKSHLAF
I have an idea! Those who misspell his name can post over and over again about how they always get it wrong!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My going Hulk over the "Schultz" misspelling was meant to be humorous, and now I realize I didn't really make it come off that way.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My going Hulk over the "Schultz" misspelling was meant to be humorous, and now I realize I didn't really make it come off that way.
I thought it was funny. Of course, Mr. Fleishmann had the perfect reply. :roll: (There's no innocent look emoticon. I want an innocent look emoticon.)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My going Hulk over the "Schultz" misspelling was meant to be humorous, and now I realize I didn't really make it come off that way.
You set the joke up well, there was plenty of context to read it as funny.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I thought all of your posts were meant to be humorous?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Figures. Every time I do something that's intended to be deliberately funny, I second guess myself.

Then again, most of my intentional comedy has two settings: "Family Circus" or "The Aristocrats". Like so many other things I do, I seem to show way too much restraint or way too little.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I thought it was funny. Of course, Mr. Fleishmann had the perfect reply. :roll: (There's no innocent look emoticon. I want an innocent look emoticon.)
See how you put an extra "n" in my last name? It's like a disease. A Jeopardy letter disease.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

glennfleishman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
See how you put an extra "n" in my last name? It's like a disease. A Jeopardy letter disease.
I tried to give you an innocent look, Glen.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

Sorry.

Looking back, the 90s strips are surprising in how formulaic they became (not to mention how poor the art became due to Schulz's age). By that point, 2/3 of the strip was focused on Rerun, which actually sounds rather ironic now that I think of it. I did like the "Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering X. Then I hear a voice saying Y." running gag every time it appeared, though.
It would be unfair to say that Schulz's work 'jumped the shark' the last few years, because a lot of the Rerun strips were really good, but Peanuts just wasn't the same in its last few years.
I read interviews late in Schulz's life where he talked about wanting to play down certain characters, and emphasize ones who'd had secondary roles. Schulz really tried to make Snoopy more of a dog, and less of his own alter ego in a beagle's body, and IMO, that took some of the fun out of the strips.(the most we saw of Snoopy's 'fanatsies' were when he'd quote from 'The Great Gatsby')
Schulz also moved away from the Schroeder-Lucy stuff, and paired him with Snoopy for all those sight gags involving the musical notes. On the plus side, there was less of Peppermint Patty and Marcie, and somewhat less of Sally. Basically an uneven mix, but at least he was trying different ideas, as opposed to recycling old punch lines.("Who drew those cartoons?" "Ida Know." "Not Me.")
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

All I know is that I really like Snoopy's "did he say V or 5?" line, which is why I included that strip (October 3, 1963) along with the first two (September 30 and October 1, 1963). In the strip I left out, Sally imagines herself as "Mrs. Sally 95472" but decides she doesn't like the name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I once worked in a grocery store and there was a teenage cashier who went by Fiiv, but was pronounced like the number 5. I'm not sure how she acquired that nickname.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Someone has to say it.

"That's Numberwang!"