Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Re: Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by erak »

Pretty good chance Sandy coverage is going to preempt Jeopardy for me for the next 2 days.
harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

It would be neat if someone could put up whatever games are preempted/power outed on Youtube.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Mammals
Ancient Romans knew this animal featured in their circuses as a hippotigris.

Spoiler
What is a zebra? Anne said elephant; John-Clark said rhinoceros.
Keith Whitener: $10,800+$10,799=$21,599...now a 4-day champion with $87,998
John-Clark Levin: $13,800-$13,698=$102
Anne Fierro: $6,600-$6,599=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Wow, Keith was impressive recouping his 9,000 DD losses. John-Clark was a very fast player, but even he couldn't keep up. I admired J-C's strategy of dragging out category names and picking low value clues (well done!), but Keith was fighting tooth and nail. Felt bad for Anne, with two gunners like that as her competition, since she clearly is very knowledgable. Hope she's doing okay in NJ with Sandy bearing down tonight.

Had zero idea on FJ, but tried to parse the word. I looked at "tigris," but it meant nothing to me, then picked up on "gris" thinking it meant "grey" and went with elephant. Meh.

So strange that I can watch the episode and then remember almost nothing about the categories. I did like the Art and Mythology one, a dream cat for me. Too bad I had to get Clean Out Your Closet as a category on my game. :roll: Ah well.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Really fun battle to watch. I commend Keith's bold bids, and then his fight to come back. John-Clark was sharp and did his best to stop him but it wasn't enough.

For FJ! I couldn't figure out how to parse it- a cat? an animal with stripes? a fat animal? a gray animal? My first thought, though, had been tigris=tiger=stripes=zebra, and nothing better came to mind, so I stuck with it being sure I was wrong because I hadn't factored in the first part. Pleasant surprise.

Now that I am researching, I am remembering that hippo=horse (hippopotamus=river horse), so it makes sense after all.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

NBC/CBS/ABC is doing a 60 minute nightly news tonight, so where J! or WOF airs at 7PM on the East Coast or EDT, even if it's in a city not directly affected by Sandy, it won't be seen. DOn't know whether any station will substitute J! for WOF at 7:30PM, or vice versa.
CyrusChan

Re: Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by CyrusChan »

erak wrote:Pretty good chance Sandy coverage is going to preempt Jeopardy for me for the next 2 days.
ditto, will probably check archives sometime....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought John Clark was very loud and obnoxious at first, but he seemed to mellow in DJ!

"Limbo" was my only miss in "O". I've never heard limbo to refer to that. I thought that was purgatory.

Got only 7 right in DJ! thanks to the Geographic Terms pwning me.

Anyone surprised that they took "Food TV" for Food Network?

I knew the "hippo" prefix from hippopotamus ("river horse"), but thought "hippo" was the river part and kept thinking on what the hell a "river tiger" might be. If I'd have thought of hippocampus, it would've done it. DERP.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With four wins & $87,998, Keith moves into sixth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Scores going into FJ: Keith 10800-Anne 6600-John Clark 13800. Inoptimal wagering in FJ! today, Keith wagered 10799, Anne 6599, and John Clark 13698. Keith was right in FJ!, and Anne and John Clark were wrong. A triple stumper today would have given John CLark a $102 win. Would have to have been the lowest win in the double dollars era, no?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:NBC/CBS/ABC is doing a 60 minute nightly news tonight, so where J! or WOF airs at 7PM on the East Coast or EDT, even if it's in a city not directly affected by Sandy, it won't be seen. DOn't know whether any station will substitute J! for WOF at 7:30PM, or vice versa.
Lo and behold, my DVR recorded CBS news where Wheel Of Fortune should have been, and although Jeopardy! was shown, the scroll made it virtually unwatchable.

Luckily CHCH showed both with no problems. But we are bracing for Sandy here too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Limbo" was my only miss in "O". I've never heard limbo to refer to that. I thought that was purgatory.
That was a stupid clue. The writers usually do at least a cursory bit of research. There is no limbo in Catholic doctrine.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

For those in the NY area, Jeopardy was aired tonight on the LiveWell channel, a WABC digital channel, 467 on Verizon Cable. Probably the same tomorrow.

I'm happy to have parsed out FJ! tonight, from hippo = horse, tiger = striped...
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Limbo" was my only miss in "O". I've never heard limbo to refer to that. I thought that was purgatory.
That was a stupid clue. The writers usually do at least a cursory bit of research. There is no limbo in Catholic doctrine.

Brian
Perhaps the cursoriness of the research is the problem, because it's easy to find Catholic sources online that define it, like CatholicReference.net, which says:
Catholic theology distinguishes two kinds of limbo.

It also says:
The Church has never defined the existence of limbo, although she has more than once supported the fact by her authority.
johnclarklevin
Contributor

Post by johnclarklevin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought John Clark was very loud and obnoxious at first, but he seemed to mellow in DJ!

"Limbo" was my only miss in "O". I've never heard limbo to refer to that. I thought that was purgatory.

Got only 7 right in DJ! thanks to the Geographic Terms pwning me.

Anyone surprised that they took "Food TV" for Food Network?

I knew the "hippo" prefix from hippopotamus ("river horse"), but thought "hippo" was the river part and kept thinking on what the hell a "river tiger" might be. If I'd have thought of hippocampus, it would've done it. DERP.
I've just registered for the forum now that my show is finally airing. Sorry to have come across too strong there, TenPoundHammer -- I think maybe I was just trying really hard not to be too quiet. I certainly don't consider myself a brash person!

I'll post here again about my experience later tonight!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

davey wrote:I'm happy to have parsed out FJ! tonight, from hippo = horse, tiger = striped...
Sort of the path I took. I knew the hippo prefix = "horse" (as in hippodrome, where they had horse races), so from there went to "What horsey thing looks like a tiger? oh!" so now I had 25 seconds to kill. ;)

Grew up Catholic, also got purgatoried by Limbo. A big "WTH?" moment there. Assuming there even is an H.

Swept Civil War. Ouch on the double DD misses there. :( But great comeback, and nearly averaging 22k per win!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Indeed, the wagers in FJ were quite stunning. More on that later if anyone else wants to discuss it.

Wiki says that Food Network was originally launched as TV Food Network, and it's legal name is still Television Food Network, but it still seems somewhat questionable to accept Food TV. Maybe they use that name in advertising or for promotional purposes?

Hard to believe that no one took a stab at "hat" after "cap" was incorrect for the item Casey doffed. I too thought cap sounded more like the term that would be used in that poem, but hat was used for rhyming purposes. At least they were able to pick up the rebound as to which base the second runner was on. It would have been a bit frightening to have seen more than one player miss that clue, although I suppose it could have turned into a halfway decent Abbott & Costello routine.

I will be anxiously awaiting my royalty check from Sony (the number one brand in Asia, don'tcha know?) after seeing the $1600 clue in Civil War names. See the 6th answer down in this post from the reveal of my March Think Different game.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

How did Alex pronounce "hippotigris"? I pronounced it reading it from the thread like "hi-PAW-tuh-gris" without even realizing the significance of the "-tigris" part.