Wednesday, October 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6468, 2012-10-31

Keith Whitener game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Hillary Meyer, a stay-at-home mom and blogger from Middletown, New York
Barry Peterson, a financial risk analyst from El Paso, Texas
Keith Whitener, a research chemist originally from Charlotte, North Carolina (whose 5-day cash winnings total $100,397)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hi, everyone, and welcome, again, to our program. This season is shaping up quite handsomely for some of our players. For the second time in the last month, We have contestants who have gone over the $100,000 mark. Will Keith be able to keep it going, or will Hillary and Barry replace him as champion? Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. And these are your categories for today.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON THE JOB (4/5)
NAME THAT SPEECHMAKER (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BASEBALL TIMELINE (3/5)
JOHN, IN HIS OWN WRITE (5/5)
COMPLETES THE LICENSE PLATE (5/5)
THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY PAGE 1004 (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Keith: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Barry: 9 R, 1 W
Hillary: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Keith found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Keith had $3,400, Barry had $1,800, and Hillary was at $400. Keith wagered $1,000.

NAME THAT SPEECHMAKER $600: "& you know, the kids, like all kids, love the dog, &...regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep him"
(Alex: Did the words give it to you or anything else?)
(Keith: I think it might have been your impression.)
(Alex: Thank you very much!)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Keith: $4,400
Barry: $1,800
Hillary: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: One of the popular series each year on cable television Is "Shark Weeks." And Hillary Meyer had some close encounters with sharks. Where?

Hillary: In Bora Bora. My family went there when I was in junior high, and one of the excursions we went on took us right out to the barrier reef, and they strung a rope from the boat to a rock, and we all swam on one side, holding on to the rope to keep us from washing into the sharks, which they were throwing chum to. So, it was a nice feeding frenzy about four or five feet in front of us.

Alex: Up-close and personal. Did you panic at all?

Hillary: My little sister did. She was a bit young for it. I thought it was awesome.

Alex: Oh, of course.

Alex: Barry Peterson from El Paso, Texas, interviewed to be a copy editor and what happened?

Barry: To prepare myself, I took a couple of back issues of the magazine that I was interviewing to work with and just kind of went through to see if I could find any errors, grammatical errors, spelling errors. When I presented those to the interviewer, he let me know that he had actually been the editor on those...

[Laughter]

Barry: ...and he didn't seem to pleased that I had found some errors in his work.

Alex: Did you get the job?

Barry: I did not.

[Laughter]

Alex: I wonder why. I wonder why.

Alex: Keith Whitener is our champion. He's won over $100,000. I don't know how he's gonna celebrate, but he could celebrate with his new bride. You guys got married where?

Keith: On top of a mountain in Maryland at a ski resort. It was beautiful.

Alex: Okay. I'm sure it was.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY PAGE 1004 $400: Born Vivian Mary Hartley, she won the Oscar for Best Actress of 1939 & 1951

NAME THAT SPEECHMAKER $200: "Our flag is red, white and blue, but our nation is a rainbow...and we're all precious in God's sight"
(Alex: You had to think of the Rainbow Coalition I guess to come up with [*].)

NAME THAT SPEECHMAKER $400: "I am proud to run with a man who will be one of the great presidents of this century, Walter F. Mondale"

NAME THAT SPEECHMAKER $800: "We're going to be forced either to use the ballot or the bullet. It's one or the other in 1964"
(Barry: Who's Johnson?)

ON THE JOB $800: This profession gets abuse, even from Jesus: "Woe unto you...ye lade men with burdens...ye yourselves touch not"

BASEBALL TIMELINE $1000: In 1962 this ex-Yankee manager known as the "Old Perfessor" became the first manager of the N.Y. Mets

BASEBALL TIMELINE $400: On April 14, 1910 he became the first president to throw the ceremonial first pitch to open a major league season
(Keith: Who is Teddy Roosevelt?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Keith: $8,000
Barry: $4,000
Hillary: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORDS IN HALLOWEEN (5/5)
HERE'S TO THE IRISH (4/5)
WORLD EXPLORATION (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THINKING (2/5)
OUTSIDE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE BOX (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hillary: 9 R, 2 W
Keith: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Barry: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Barry snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Keith had $11,600, Barry had $6,800, and Hillary was at $5,600. Barry wagered $2,000.

OUTSIDE $800: Believe it or not, the smooth soft-shelled species of this reptile can often outrun a man on level ground

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Barry who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Keith had $18,000, Barry had $9,200, and Hillary was at $8,400. Barry wagered $1,000.

WORLD EXPLORATION $1600: On April 9, 1682 this Frenchman reached the mouth of the Mississippi & named the area Louisiana
(Alex: Barry?)
(Barry: [shaking head] Don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THINKING $2000: Semiotics is the study of communication via these, be they the "road" or "peace" type
(Barry: What is a map?)

HERE'S TO THE IRISH $2000: Dublin-born Michael Gambon took over the role of Dumbledore from this actor born in Limerick

THINKING $1600: Spinoza espoused this belief that God & the universe are identical
(Keith: What is monism?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Barry.)

THINKING $1200: Aristippus, the first systematic hedonist philosopher, gave this the lowest value among human experiences

WORLD EXPLORATION $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) In 1909, from a supply base on Canada's Ellesmere Island, this American naval officer set out across the ice, covering 413 nautical miles to the North Pole
(Hillary: Who is Scott?)
(Keith: Who is Byrd?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Keith: $16,800
Barry: $9,000
Hillary: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Keith: Wager $1,201 to cover Barry, but no more than $1,599 so as not to fall behind Hillary's doubled score.
Barry: You have the hope of surpassing Keith if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,801 to force Keith to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Hillary.
Hillary: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
New York's delegates were John Lansing, Robert Yates & this Founding Father, the only one of the 3 who signed

FINAL SCORES
Hillary: $7,600 + $7,100 = $14,700 (Who is Monroe Hamilton?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Barry: $9,000 - $6,500 = $2,500 (Who was Clinton?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Keith: $16,800 + $1,201 = $18,001 (Who was Alexander Hamilton?) (6-day champion: $118,398)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Keith: $16,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Barry: $8,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Hillary: $7,600, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Keith: 19/59 = .322
Barry: 16/60 = .267
Hillary: 14/58 = .241
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY PAGE 1004 $600: It's the 2-word name for this informal men's outfit

THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY PAGE 1004 $1000: Heard here is an example of one of these, a short melodic passage in an opera associated with one character

COMPLETES THE LICENSE PLATE $800: North Carolina: "First in ___"
(Alex: Oh Barry, you beat Keith!)

OUTSIDE $1600: One of the smallest of these lepidopterans is the blue pygmy of California, wingspan just over half an inch
(Hillary: What's a moth?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Richard Nixon
Vivien Leigh
Jesse Jackson
Geraldine Ferraro
Malcolm X
lawyer
Casey Stengel
William Howard Taft
a turtle
La Salle
signs
Richard Harris
pantheism
pain
Robert Peary
Alexander Hamilton
a leisure suit
a leitmotif
Flight
a butterfly
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

The Constitutional Convention
New York's delegates were John Lansing, Robert Yates, & this founding father, the only one of the 3 who signed.
Spoiler
Who is Alexander Hamilton? Barry said (George) Clinton.

Keith Whitener: $16,800+$1,201=$18,001...now a 6-day champion with $118,398
Barry Peterson: $9,000-$6,500=$2,500
Hillary Meyer: $7,600+$7,100=$14,700
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CBS broke into the show in the middle of the John category in the first round for an Obama campaign speech update on Hurricane Sandy. It returned during the commercial break before FJ. It wasn't an instaget, but he was the only person I could think of.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

No hour long nightly newscasts tonight so the only preemptions might be where and if local stations in the Sandy affected areas decide to preempt for storm coverage.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

WABC chose to not pre-empt, and just delayed the start to 7:01.

Also yay for Keith. I got final after dropping most of the names that I knew.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tailors work cross-legged? Huh? The only time I ever had a suit tailored, she worked standing up or kneeling.

Was Speech really that hard, or was it just me? I got Nixon and blanked on Susan B. Anthony, but the other 3 weren't remotely familiar.

Vivien Leigh and Flight (I said "aviation") kept me at 4/5 in those categories, while Rembrandt tulip did likewise in DJ! I always have to bat an eye when a top box is my only miss in a category.

Also struggled mightily with Words in Halloween. On $400 I almost said "What is knee… no wait, no K. Um… I got nothing." Loan came to me too late on $1200, and I had no idea what on earth a nimbus was. I also think of a halo as being, you know, kind of an angel thing, not saintly.

I was tempted to mark this as "no" on my scorecard as soon as the category came up. Yep, no guess here. Wouldn't have guessed Hamilton since I thought he was too late for the Constitution.
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

Bamaman wrote:CBS broke into the show in the middle of the John category in the first round for an Obama campaign speech update on Hurricane Sandy.
Ha! What a cheap shot.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With six wins & $118,398, Keith zooms into third place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

SkeeBallRaif wrote:
Bamaman wrote:CBS broke into the show in the middle of the John category in the first round for an Obama campaign speech update on Hurricane Sandy.
Ha! What a cheap shot.
I agree. I think that a major catastrophe like Sandy is no time to be campaigning.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

SkeeBallRaif wrote:
Ha! What a cheap shot.
'sok. If we didn't hear from him it'd be, "Where's the President during all this? On vacation?"
Ran baseball timeline effortlessly, and I doubt I'll be the only one to so claim. Speech category was pretty easy too-- the clues were littered with TOMs.

I'd like to see the "boxtops" clue/ reply verbatim again. Didn't sound like there was a distinctly correct answer, since the first half suggested singular and the second half absolutely called for plural (Unless "What is a Beatle?" would be ok for a clue that simultaneously asks for a type of VW and the Fab Four).
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wouldn't have guessed Hamilton since I thought he was too late for the Constitution.
He was Washington's chief-of-staff during the Revolution. First Secretary of the Treasury. Definitely there for the Constitution.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Ran baseball timeline effortlessly, and I doubt I'll be the only one to so claim.
Oh no. :)
I'd like to see the "boxtops" clue/ reply verbatim again. Didn't sound like there was a distinctly correct answer, since the first half suggested singular and the second half absolutely called for plural (Unless "What is a Beatle?" would be ok for a clue that simultaneously asks for a type of VW and the Fab Four).
I figured that's what they were going for, although I'm with you in thinking the wording was odd.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

One of my shouts at the TV this evening was for this actor.

Another of my shouts at the TV was for this guy.

My guess for FJ was this guy, because I was reminded of this part in the song, "But Mr. Adams" from the musical 1776.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I was fairly convinced Henry Knox was the answer to FJ. Turns out he was wrong in every way.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Seeing as my class just finished reenacting the Constitutional Convention, FJ was an instaget for me. Can't believe that Barry didn't bet more on that DD; why bother playing for second place when you're within throwing distance of first? I can't believe that Richard Harris was a triple stumper. Good for Keith for getting Susan B., but he blanked on Ferraro?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ok, it was still on my DVR (didn't realize I'd watched it "live," so the recording was still there.)

THE CONTAINER PART YOU CAN SEND IN TO SUPPORT SCHOOLS,
OR THE BAND WITH THE 1967 HIT "THE LETTER"

Hillary's reply: "What's a boxtop."

Upon further review.... guess it's OK (Indelicate but passable).
Question asked for "or," so that implies you can answer either half of the question and be correct.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanna, pick me a letter, no one does it any better, I dream about you…
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another lucky break this year with the only doorbell ring during a commercial. I guess I have good karma for giving out full-sized candy bars, Skittles or Starburst?

Of course I'm in the Baseball run group. If Stengel is $1000 then the previous four can't be missed. As for the guys on the show, [insert standard sports rant]. Stephanie please make Keith pay in the TOC. He proved nothing by getting Flyers for $1600 being spotted NHL and Philly.

Alex was on the ball to call Keith out for getting the Nixon DD off his impression and not the clue. I spotted that as well and wondered.

Keith lost the lock chance with Byrd over Peary. Do we have an explorers Pavlov? Not that solving La Salle would have helped Barry, but play was a little lacking in that category that had names used over and over again on the show.

For the FJ category I anticipated something about states signing early or late or individual signers from a particular state. Hamilton was on the paper instantly not as a lock but as best name I could possibly have. During think time I wondered about John Jay, but I could not remember his name as being a signer.

Would Robert Livingston ever be a correct response to a regular play FJ clue? There is a scope of possible names and I don't see him in it. Henry Knox if he was a signer would have to have his cabinet title in the clue somewhere? Off that category it's going to be:

Franklin
Hamilton
Washington
Madison
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alex was on the ball to call Keith out for getting the Nixon DD off his impression and not the clue. I spotted that as well and wondered.
I do wonder if he has the clue written with the intent of doing an impression or if he just does it on his own.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:Ran baseball timeline effortlessly, and I doubt I'll be the only one to so claim.
Surprisingly, I did so too. Maybe it's because they started at the bottom and worked their way up, but I was quite pleased at myself for the category run.

Was saddened, however, to have a "job" category come today, as today was my first day off after having my contract expire yesterday. :cry: (nice timing there, Jeopardy!)

Only New Yorker from roughly that time frame that came to mind was Martin Van Buren, but I figured he might be too late (in fact, now that I think about it, wasn't he the first president to be born post July 4, 1776?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012